MKV problems

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
jeeper74

MKV problems

Post by jeeper74 »

OK, I am not sure where to start to try to work this out. I am using Ubuntu 14.04, and makemkv 1.9.4. I also use devede for writing files to disc, and until recently everything worked fine. Now however I am having problems with using the mkv files from makemkv in devede, it throws an error and never converts anything for the disc. I can use handbrake and re-encode the mkv files and then those work fine in devede, but not until that is done. The mkv files from makemkv work fine in vlc. I can also write a data disc and they work in my home dvd player, but I don’t have mkv support in my vehicle... I don't know if my issue lies with makemkv since it authors the mkv file for me or with some dependency, or with devede and ffmpeg or what... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: MKV problems

Post by Woodstock »

You might be running into issues with the CODECs used for audio and video. MakeMKV copies what is on the disk (with exceptions), so you get the same audio CODEC. If your player doesn't understand that CODEC, it won't play. VLC is very flexible, unless you're running it on iOS, where it locks out the common-to-DVD (and some BD) AC3 CODEC.

By running the files through handbrake, you change the CODEC in use to something compatible. Handbrake defaults to converting AC3 to AAC in many of the common profiles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jeeper74

Post by jeeper74 »

I have asked on the devede forum if the audio could be a problem. Has Makemkv always handled the audio ( I assume so ) this way? Like I had stated earlier, this method used to work, I would like it to continue without needing to convert each file after ripping so I could burn it. I had not updated Makemkv (was using 1.9.1) when the problem started, and then tried to see if updating would fix it. No change after going to 1.9.4. bummer...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Generally speaking, if you are NOT in "expert mode", the MKV file will contain the tracks as they appear in the source DVD or BD, just repackaged into an MKV file.

In "expert mode", you can make use of profiles; one of the profiles (FLAC) has options to translate certain audio CODECs that have limited compatibility into something more universal. You can also create your own profiles that can take advantage of this.

These things are discussed in the "Advanced MakeMKV Usage" section of the forum.

When the source video is DVD, you should not run into too many issues, because most DVDs use MPEG2 video and AC3 audio. But, when the source is a Bluray, you can have many CODECs that aren't compatible with DVD. And if your ffmpeg installation isn't up to date, you might not be able to convert them to something that is.

In this case, you MIGHT want to send the handbrake activity log that "makes it compatible" to the DeVeDe support forum, so they will have a list (from the log) of what audio is present in the source MKV file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jeeper74

Post by jeeper74 »

Well that seems to have fixed my problem by going to expert mode and selecting the FLAC option. Devede is currently to write an iso for me from a new rip. I just need to wait and see if everything looks and sounds good still when it is done.

Thanks

edit - the file works fine so I made a disc and it plays just fine, so for what ever my issue was this seems to have fixed it.

Thanks again