no watchable rips from BluRay

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
jnorvell

no watchable rips from BluRay

Post by jnorvell »

I installed MakeMKV on Gentoo linux. It rips from dvds just fine. BDs open, MakeMKV says they're being decrypted and rips them without error messages. Every single one I have tried (more than a dozen, most of them at least four or five years old) have the blotchy, pixelation breaks I think are connected with BD+. What am I missing here?

John
Woodstock

Re: no watchable rips from BluRay

Post by Woodstock »

What CODEC was used for the video on the BDs? What are you using to play them?

Current versions of MakeMKV should already have applied the BD+ fix-up information when decripting and writing the MKV files. If it didn't, you should see an entry in the log about "No FUTs found". I don't THINK that part of MakeMKV is dependent upon external libraries, but I didn't write it, so I can't say for sure.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Mikemk

Post by Mikemk »

I've noticed a wrong color/pixelesque effect can happen on older/slower computers when playing BD rips. What are your specs?
jnorvell

Post by jnorvell »

Thanks for the replies.

I did not see any error message about FUTs. How would I see which codec is used on the disk? I was playing the MKV files with VLC. My hardware specs are Intel Core2 2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, GeFOrce GT 630 display adapter. I run Gentoo Linux, kernel 3.12-13.

I'm trying resizing and transcoding to x264 right now to see if that makes it playable.
jnorvell

Post by jnorvell »

Thanks again. I guess it was just memory or CPU capacity. I resized the file by about half and it plays fine. It fit the BD+ issue description, so I just assumed that is what was happening.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Usually when you're ripping the disk, MakeMKV can show you the video CODEC by clicking on the little triangle next to the title in the left menu. This expands the information, and lets you look at each track that makes up a title.

VLC should be able to handle any CODECs, but be aware that it does NOT do well if there is any delay in your system. If I'm doing a rip to the media server AND a copy from it, trying to play a BD track (and sometimes a DVD track) can result in grey, pixelated screens periodically, where VLC got to the end of the data buffer before the file system could refill it. The area where the volume slider is will change color when this happens, as it tries to refill the buffer.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Is using all upper case for the word "codec" the standard somewhere?

I keep thinking you're deliberately trying to emphasise the word and it's throwing me off...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

CODEC isn't a "normal" word... it's an concatenation of (depending upon who you ask) "coder/decoder" or "compressor/decompressor". While a LOT of people think of it as a word, I prefer to point out that it isn't.

Treating it as if it is a "stand alone word" belies the nature of its origins. It falls into the category of "assumed knowledge" that we all get caught up in, assuming that anyone reading what we write knows all the buzz words. But not everyone does. Using uppercase for it, in my opinion, signals that it is OK to not know what this is, and maybe it should be looked up.

So, you're assumption that I'm "deliberately trying to emphasise the word" is correct, but the part about doing it to throw you off isn't. :)
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

OK, I'd tend to think it's giving me a headache, but I'd probably have one anyway.

I'll just make sure to harden my mind against any possible uses of the words LASER, TASER, SCUBA and... oh god, thankfully this isn't a chemistry forum. At least there's that. :P
Mikemk

Post by Mikemk »

ndjamena wrote:oh god, thankfully this isn't a chemistry forum. At least there's that. :P
I C U
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Woodstock wrote:but the part about doing it to throw you off isn't. :)
I said nothing like that.

(In case you hadn't noticed, he's doing it deliberately.)