DVD Subtitles not showing on all players after MKV conversio

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Niceguy

DVD Subtitles not showing on all players after MKV conversio

Post by Niceguy »

Hi All,

Found your tool and like it very much. So much that I decided to backup all my DVD's to MKV format on the NAS.

Verified the conversion with VLC and encountered 2 problems:

1:
Sometimes MAKEMKV does not select even one sound track; thus the resulting mkv has no sound when one goes into the detailed setting one can tick on one sound track and the conversion runs flawless again.

I think that MAKEMKV should always select at least one sound track.

2:
Subtitles are, not always, embedded correct in the mkv file. While VLC displays all subtitles perfect. Some other hardware players (OpenPLI Unix sat boxes) do not display these subtitles. According to a core member of the OpenPLI development team this is due to the fact that their player does not cater for subtitles on an image base but needs text base subtitel info.

So the question that I have is does MAKEMKV convert the subtitles using OCR to txt or how does it embed them? THe really strange thing is that when converting Blue RAy I have not yet encountered this subtitle problem... Ive been pointed at MKVToolNix and there has been suggested to look for the srt file but I hope that MKV can solve this problem as well.

Other than that awesome conversion program. I would appreciate a last map used option in the output file map menu... It does that for the input map, the same option for the output map would be very welcome...

TIA

Fred
ndjamena

Re: DVD Subtitles not showing on all players after MKV conve

Post by ndjamena »

1: change the default selection rule in View/Preferences/General/Expert Mode -> Advanced

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386

And/Or the preferred language settings in View/Preference/Language

2: MakeMKV transfers the subtitles from the discs perfectly... your player developer told you it was their fault. If you want text subtitles in your files you'll have to do the conversion using a different application.

Subtitle Edit or DVDSubExtractor will work fine, depending on which you'd prefer to use. If you'd prefer you can extract the subtitles using MKVCleaver or an MKVExtractGUI before conversion but MakeMKV will not do the conversion for you.

(I have no idea what that last bit is about.)
Niceguy

Post by Niceguy »

Hi ndjamena,

Was rather afraid MKV did not support the conversion of the subtitles, thx for the answer.

That last bit...

When converting I want to choose the destination folder based on the last destination folder used. I do not want to extract to one fixed folder because then I have to move the mkv file later to the NAS. It would help if MAKEMKV could remember the last used output folder, now it proposes the last used input folder...

In my preference for default destination I chose none.

More clear now?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Yup... it IS odd that MakeMKV doesn't have that, but the GUI does a few non-optimal things and over the few years I've been on the forum nothing has been done to change them.