OSX 10.4 Tiger - deprecated

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV

Will you even notice if Tiger support is dropped

No
88%
Kind of - planning to upgrade anyway
No votes
Yes - Support for tiger is essential (please explain why)
13%

Total votes: 16

mike admin

OSX 10.4 Tiger - deprecated

Post by mike admin »

update: Starting from MakeMKV v1.6.0 Tiger is not supported and at least Leopard is required.

Current version of MakeMKV runs on Tiger and above. We're considering dropping Tiger support and require Leopard - is it ok? Please speak up.
DaveGee

Re: OSX 10.4 Tiger

Post by DaveGee »

Come on... you're expecting people to speak now before you've made your plans for the future? Heck no... people won't come here and scream bloody murder until AFTER the changes are made... Shheech... what were you thinking... :lol:

** Warning: the previous text was dripping with sarcasm with subtle hint of truth...
starburst

Post by starburst »

Yes. Please drop Tiger -- Thank you.
Allengator

Post by Allengator »

Obviously "starburst" has upgraded to Leopard and is a member of the "it's all about Me" generation.
I'm still happily "riding the Tiger" and am not planning to tame another beast any time soon, so if you decide to close the door in my face, I'll be sad :( but still have the ability to find another home to visit. :arrow:
Thanks for your efforts
core9

Post by core9 »

I know I'm one of the few 20 percent Tiger users and have been honestly trying to upgrade. I passed on Leopard due to so many reports of instability. Just as 10.5 became stable, Apple threw up 10.6 making it awkward to move directly into an OS which is already obsolete.

I was all set to install 10.6 SL until I saw a flurry of activity on the Mac forums complaining about external drives and problems with Firewire 400. Seems Apple upgraded their h/w to Firewire 800 and neglected us poor folk with "legacy hardware." That is, while Firewire 800 works on the new Mac's, upgrading just the OS on an old Mac breaks Firewire 400.

There were also reports of external drives dismounting without cause or reason. Apple seems to have tweaked the OS to allow drives to unmount more easily... too easy. External, Firewire 400 drives are my entire system so upgrading to Leopard would turn it all into a pile of broken hardware. If you aren't aware, if a drive is unmounted improperly it can cause catastrophic data loss.

However... the new Mac Mini's are rumored to have Firewire 800, USB 3, and an HDMI port (twist my arm). So, rather than upgrading the old hardware, I'm giving into pressure to buy a new Mac Mini with 10.6 pre-installed. This will happen sometime this year, so please give us old Tiger fans a bit more time.

Thanks.
bluesfriend

Post by bluesfriend »

I've got a Powermac G5 that I'd like to keep going. It has 10.4.11. I downloaded the 1.5.4beta of makemkv (which supports 10.4) and when I try to launch. I get the error: :You cannot open the application "makeMKV.app" because it is not supported on this system"

whats up?

TIA for the info.