Quick tutorial on ripping 3d blu-rays

Everything related to MakeMKV
ericmatthews

Quick tutorial on ripping 3d blu-rays

Post by ericmatthews »

Hello forum!

I am new here and a (relatively) new user of MakeMKV. I have a few blu-ray disks that are 3D. Upon trying to rip them, they appear on my TV as regular 2D pictures (though I have a 3d set). I have searched the forum for a quick tutorial, but haven't found it. I would think someone has already gone through this process and can give me some pointers. Any information that's needed from me, please let me know so I can help out. Many thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: Quick tutorial on ripping 3d blu-rays

Post by Woodstock »

The 3D portion of the video is a separate track within each title, that is NOT selected by default. After you open the disk, you can click on the little triangle next to the title to expand the list of tracks within it. You want to check the box next to the MVC track to get 3D included in the MKV file.

And then you need a player that understands MVC within an MKV file...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

Woodstock wrote:The 3D portion of the video is a separate track within each title, that is NOT selected by default. After you open the disk, you can click on the little triangle next to the title to expand the list of tracks within it. You want to check the box next to the MVC track to get 3D included in the MKV file.

And then you need a player that understands MVC within an MKV file...
Any info on which (software) players can do this? I am looking at things like Plex, Kodi, etc as I'm trying to use a single program for all my needs and have hundreds of my movies on my server. I have found info on SBS format 3D, but little on MVC format.

Does such a player exist?

Thanks!
jmcguire525

Post by jmcguire525 »

Use Openelec/Kodi on and Raspberry Pi 2 and you will be able to play 3DMVC
KaraokeAmerica

Post by KaraokeAmerica »

jmcguire525 wrote:Use Openelec/Kodi on and Raspberry Pi 2 and you will be able to play 3DMVC
Thank you for the reply. I was not notified of this and just say it now.

I tried Kodi before I moved to Plex. I found Plex to be a better solution overall.

I thought it was based on XBMC like Kodi so I'm disappointed that Kodi can do this, but not Plex. Is it the Pi hardware that make it possible?

thanks!