Selecting audio tracks

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
alehel

Selecting audio tracks

Post by alehel »

When I'm using MakeMKV to rip a disk I'm presented with various audio tracks. I'm having a tough time understanding which audio track I should be using. I use my mkv with HandBrake to convert them to a format that can be used with my AppleTV. Now, just like the HandBrake forums recommend for ripping files for Apple TV, I want to encode my videos with two audio tracks. One which is compressed using AAC and a second wich is using AC3 passthrough. I don't currently have any hardware that uses the 5.1 out on the Apple TV, but disk space doesn't concern me much and I'd rather have "future proof" copies if I'm going to take the time to convert my movies in the first place. Basicly, my question is this. Which of the audio file formats used by Blu-Ray disks will allow me to do both of these things using HandBrake? Does HandBrake support all the audio file formats used by Blu-Ray, basicly meaning that it doesn't make a difference?

Also, when ripping to mkv I notice that MakeMKV doesn't automaticly tick the box next to the audio streams. Instead it ticks the boxes of the files contained within that file. I don't really know if people now what I mean. If not I'll post a screenshot for you.
mike admin

Re: Selecting audio tracks

Post by mike admin »

On blu-ray many audio tracks have two parts - full HD audio and 5.1 "core". MakeMKV can extract both with only 5.1 core selected by default.
sfenwick

Post by sfenwick »

When ripping a DVD to MKV, is there a way to eliminate the subtitle tracks, or to force the non-subtitle track? If I rip a SD DVD to MKV with MakeMKV, and play back with VLC or a LaCie LaCinema, the subtitles are always forced on. I'd much prefer them to be forced off.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

At this time no, But you could remux it with mkvmerge and set the default and force display to "no".
sfenwick

Post by sfenwick »

I found what I need, although it's manual: deselect all of the subtitle tracks in the title browser.

A preference that could allow one to automatically ignore subtitles, and another to choose audio only in selected languages, would be great!