UHD Blu-ray

Everything related to MakeMKV
nathanddrews

UHD Blu-ray

Post by nathanddrews »

UHD Blu-ray (4K) movies are shipping now and people are starting to get them. A few people on AVS have tested them in BDXL drives and Windows doesn't even recognize it as a readable disc. I intend on testing this as well using my BD drives and was curious if there were any data that would be useful to people here. Word is that some UHD Blu-ray movies are shipping on existing BD-50 discs, while others are shipping on BDXL triple layer discs, but no one seems to know exactly what the file structure is - let alone the copy protection in place.

Will MakeMKV support UHD or offer an upgrade? I'd love a free update, but I'd also love to support the devs.
onland

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by onland »

nathanddrews wrote:UHD Blu-ray (4K) movies are shipping now and people are starting to get them. A few people on AVS have tested them in BDXL drives and Windows doesn't even recognize it as a readable disc. I intend on testing this as well using my BD drives and was curious if there were any data that would be useful to people here. Word is that some UHD Blu-ray movies are shipping on existing BD-50 discs, while others are shipping on BDXL triple layer discs, but no one seems to know exactly what the file structure is - let alone the copy protection in place.
U-HD BDs will use two layer types - the conventional 25 GB per layer type used in BD SL and DL type discs and the 33 GB per layer higher density type used in BDXL TL and QL discs. Some U-HD BDs that are dual layer may have 66 GB capacity due to the use of the higher density layer type.
nathanddrews

Post by nathanddrews »

I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray. Tested on:

Windows 7 Pro
ASUS BC12B1ST (did not recognize)

LG WH14NS40 (recognized)

LG WH16NS40 (recognized)

Obviously, I can't do anything beyond this yet.
nathanddrews

Post by nathanddrews »

Log file of the attempted backups.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(309 Bytes) Downloaded 715 times
JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

nathanddrews wrote:Log file of the attempted backups.
There sure isn't much on that log file, did you follow the instructions in this tutorial ?

/faq/item/8
nathanddrews

Post by nathanddrews »

JeffR1 wrote:
There sure isn't much on that log file, did you follow the instructions in this tutorial ?

/faq/item/8
According to the tutorial, I did it correctly. I agree that it's short.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray.
You aren't going to be able to back it up, even if you get a drive that will read the disc. The 4K releases have to use AACS 2.0, which has not been busted, yet. The DVDFab owner's put out a release that said they have zero plans to do so.
James Freeman

Post by James Freeman »

I wonder if MakeMKV rely on SlySoft servers, or have they decrypted AACS 1.0 (up to v57) using their unique own method... :?:
JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

nathanddrews wrote:
JeffR1 wrote:

/faq/item/8
According to the tutorial, I did it correctly. I agree that it's short.
We'll give it a few days then, I'm sure it will be quite simple to deal with and they'll get right on it... :lol:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

James Freeman wrote:I wonder if MakeMKV rely on SlySoft servers, or have they decrypted AACS 1.0 (up to v57) using their unique own method... :?:
My guess is Mike has his own method, although there is provisions within MakeMKV to use the "volume key database" maintained by others. That way, if a key in that publicly-available database gets revoked, it does not affect MakeMKV.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
nathanddrews

Post by nathanddrews »

MrVideo wrote:
nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray.
You aren't going to be able to back it up, even if you get a drive that will read the disc. The 4K releases have to use AACS 2.0, which has not been busted, yet. The DVDFab owner's put out a release that said they have zero plans to do so.
Capt. Obvious is obvious.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

nathanddrews wrote:
MrVideo wrote:
Capt. Obvious is obvious.
The way some of the posts were written, it read like backing up the disc was going to be a possibility. So, out came Capt Obvious to make sure. :mrgreen:
nathanddrews

Post by nathanddrews »

MrVideo wrote:The way some of the posts were written, it read like backing up the disc was going to be a possibility. So, out came Capt Obvious to make sure. :mrgreen:
You must have missed the last sentence of that post "Obviously, I can't do anything beyond this yet.". I only wanted to get the discs in my hands to test out which of my BD drives would recognize or read the discs. I had no expectation of adding it to my library yet. ;)
goaliebob99

Post by goaliebob99 »

nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray. Tested on:

LG WH16NS40 (recognized)

I am super excited to see that it works on the LG WH16NS40. This is the same drive that I have. You may need to upgrade your firmware though. I am on the latest 1.02-A0 and am going to test with that. Also, I plan on making an ISO copy of the movies until the encryption is busted so I can make a backup of my legally purchased movies, and play them back in the digital file format that I choose.
goaliebob99

Post by goaliebob99 »

goaliebob99 wrote:
nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray. Tested on:

LG WH16NS40 (recognized)

I am super excited to see that it works on the LG WH16NS40. This is the same drive that I have. You may need to upgrade your firmware though. I am on the latest 1.02-A0 and am going to test with that. Also, I plan on making an ISO copy of the movies until the encryption is busted so I can make a backup of my legally purchased movies, and play them back in the digital file format that I choose.

Drats.... F*ING LG! It appears I have the older one... Ordering a new one on Amazon.com now.... Just read through the thread over at AVS...