ripping uhd 4k the martian

Everything related to MakeMKV
techluver

ripping uhd 4k the martian

Post by techluver »

Hello,
I just received my 4k copy of the martian. i'm trying to rip it. the regular bluray rips fine, but the 4k uhd one for some reason doesn't even detected by my bd drive. i'm using an asus sbc something drive. it's an external drive plugged into my computer. any ideas? I want to try out this new 4k stuff and i figured the martian would be a good one to get since I fell in love with the movie when i watched it.
Woodstock

Re: ripping uhd 4k the martian

Post by Woodstock »

A quick search says that the drive has to be "BDXL compatible" to read UHD disks. Guess I should check to see if mine are, although I have only one 4k monitor available anyway.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
techluver

Post by techluver »

I'm pretty sure my drive is bdxl compatible. at least, asus told me it is. i told them i wanted to play it, not rip it. will makemkv even rip this new format? I seriously hope so.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Several people have asked, but you're the first person who actually said they have a UHD BD in their hands.

You say Windows doesn't even detect the disk? I would expect it to at least let you see the directory....
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

Interesting

So 4k UHD drives, is that a thing or not?

I was expecting having to shell out for a new drive to read these discs like I did going from dvd to Blu-ray.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Apparently the 4K UHD standard is based upon the BDXL standard, although there was mixed information in what I found as to whether or not drives would require firmware upgrades.
techluver

well...Re: ripping uhd 4k the martian

Post by techluver »

Well, windows isn't letting me see the directory or anything. maybe it does require a firmware upgrade. would someone know how to do that?
for those who are interested, best buy is carrying the martian 4k uhd bluray right now. (or maybe i got it early bc i preordered, i don't know)
zack123

Post by zack123 »

According to this post on the AVS Forum a new generation of BDXL drives is required, working with a LG WH16NS40 made in October 2015.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-r ... st41583457

This drive seems to be of a different hardware version than previous WH16NS40 models.
The disc is readable and shows up in Windows Explorer, but understandably no playback is possible, nor does the user have success with AnyDVD HD.
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

Anecdotally, do you have a standalone UHD player which is connected to a standard 1080p tv. How does it look? (assuming it works at all)
techluver

Post by techluver »

No I do not. I live in a college dorm, so i don't happen to own a TV, period. I have successfully ripped the 1080p version for my use right now, but i would love to get the 4k version out of there. I can't help thinking how amazing it will look. wonder if i'll notice a difference on my iPhone6... not sure if I have a 4k screen there. I'll have access to a 4k tv next week so that's when i plan to watch it, but there is no bluray player so I have to rip the bluray soon with my computer drive and play it through... something. i don't know what or how, but that's another issue for another time.
(as you all can tell, i'm a very beginner in this. I started using makemkv to rip all my dvds and blurays that I've collected over the years, and bought the bluray drive for that purpose. I didn't know anything about 4k uhd compatibility or anything... i just happened to get a BDXL compatible player by luck)
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

techluver wrote:No I do not. I live in a college dorm, so i don't happen to own a TV, period. I have successfully ripped the 1080p version for my use right now, but i would love to get the 4k version out of there. I can't help thinking how amazing it will look. wonder if i'll notice a difference on my iPhone6... not sure if I have a 4k screen there. I'll have access to a 4k tv next week so that's when i plan to watch it, but there is no bluray player so I have to rip the bluray soon with my computer drive and play it through... something. i don't know what or how, but that's another issue for another time.
(as you all can tell, i'm a very beginner in this. I started using makemkv to rip all my dvds and blurays that I've collected over the years, and bought the bluray drive for that purpose. I didn't know anything about 4k uhd compatibility or anything... i just happened to get a BDXL compatible player by luck)
Don't worry mate, we're all newbs when it comes to this 4k shebang. I will be watching this thread for updates :)
JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

Rather then start a new thread, I'll post here to keep things together.
A guy over at AVS got an LG BDXL drive marked with the date of March 2015, and it didn't see the UHD disc.
He's reordering a new drive from Amazon.com, where so far all the drives from there can read the file from the UHD discs.

About AACS; there was one log file created over at SlySoft from one of these discs (The Martian) and it read AACS version "57",
and it also stated that the drive wants "Bus Encryption".

Just from the log file, there was nothing really different other then the new AACS version.

I've ordered one of these LG drives from Newegg.ca, model number WH16NS40 and my discs should come eventually, so I will report what happens when the stuff is in my hands.

For me all I'm interested in is using a free player _ MPC-HC, I can use a computer based frame interpolation program with that _ I'm really sensitive to 24 fps judder _ it hurts my eyes and eventually I'll get a headache.

My projector only does FI (Sony's' Motion Flow) at 1080p, it doesn't work at 2160p, so I'm forced to use computer based FI.
If the UHD discs were HFR (high frame rate) I wouldn't have to bother with any of this, but it looks like Hollywood is still insisting upon 24 (23.976) fps.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

JeffR1 wrote:I'm really sensitive to 24 fps judder _ it hurts my eyes and eventually I'll get a headache.
I suspect that your eyes do not have an issue, but your brain does. :mrgreen:

Does this mean you can't watch TV shows either, as all are produced at either 23.976 fps or 25 fps?
but it looks like Hollywood is still insisting upon 24 (23.976) fps.
It is not possible to play 48 fps movies via Blu-ray. The producers of material, be it TV shows or movies, are not going to change frame rates because of the extremely few that are affected.

In any event, you won't be able to copy 4K UHD-BD releases anyway, since DVDFab's company has released info that they will not be breaking the UHD-BD's AACS 2.0 encryption. Someone probably will, but it hasn't been done, yet.
JeffR1

Post by JeffR1 »

MrVideo wrote:
JeffR1 wrote:I'm really sensitive to 24 fps judder _ it hurts my eyes and eventually I'll get a headache.
I suspect that your eyes do not have an issue, but your brain does. :mrgreen:

Does this mean you can't watch TV shows either, as all are produced at either 23.976 fps or 25 fps?
but it looks like Hollywood is still insisting upon 24 (23.976) fps.
It is not possible to play 48 fps movies via Blu-ray. The producers of material, be it TV shows or movies, are not going to change frame rates because of the extremely few that are affected.

In any event, you won't be able to copy 4K UHD-BD releases anyway, since DVDFab's company has released info that they will not be breaking the UHD-BD's AACS 2.0 encryption. Someone probably will, but it hasn't been done, yet.
I can't focus on a panning scene for example (it feels like someone taking their fingertips and lightly pushing on my eyelids), that's what hurts my eyes. Remember the movie "Cowboys and Aliens" there's a panning scene of the desert at the beginning, the frame judder is so bad that it makes it impossible to look at the desert _ I don't how anyone can watch things when this happens.
And I don't watch TV anymore except for one show and only on a small 20 inch 4:3 TV, "Supernatural" and when that's gone, no more TV.

Right now my only option is to set the Samsung UHD player to 1080p so my Sony 300es can use it's "Smooth Motion" and then of course it will get up-scaled to the native resolution of 2160p.
Kind of defeats the purpose UHD though doing that way. (I don't have the player or discs yet)

There isn't any money around either for the 5000es, which can interpolate at 2160p

There is supposed to be HFR available with UHD Blu-ray, but it sounds like it really won't be implemented.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

JeffR1 wrote:I can't focus on a panning scene for example (it feels like someone taking their fingertips and lightly pushing on my eyelids), that's what hurts my eyes. Remember the movie "Cowboys and Aliens" there's a panning scene of the desert at the beginning, the frame judder is so bad that it makes it impossible to look at the desert _ I don't how anyone can watch things when this happens.
I'm sorry that you have this problem. I watch a ton of TV shows and movies and it would suck if I couldn't.
And I don't watch TV anymore except for one show and only on a small 20 inch 4:3 TV, "Supernatural" and when that's gone, no more TV.
There is supposed to be HFR available with UHD Blu-ray, but it sounds like it really won't be implemented.
I suspect that HFR will only be used when the movie was actually shot at 48 fps. I only know of a couple that were.