Ripping speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
smares

Ripping speed

Post by smares »

Hey guys, I was wondering if there's a difference for the BD drive if a BD is being ripped or watched in software. My Samsung SE-506AB with firmware TS01 is limiting read speed of Blu-rays at 2.2x when using MakeMKV and judging by the noise it makes, also when playing back in PowerDVD. This applies to double-layer Blu-rays. With single-layer Blu-rays, such as Ghost in the Shell 2 - Innocence for example, playback is nice and smooth in PowerDVD, but with MakeMKV, I only get a ripping speed of 0.4x (2036.1 K/s). Any idea what's wrong? Wasn't 1x supposed to be the speed at which a Blu-ray is played back correctly? I understand that if the video and audio bitrate is low, even less than 1x would probably be sufficient, but the drive itself has no knowledge of the codec and bitrate being used, so it must achieve 1x reading, right?
Woodstock

Re: Ripping speed

Post by Woodstock »

A search on Google for "Samsung SE-506AB riplock" shows that this drive DOES have that "feature".

You'll see a link come up in that search with a title of "Increase DVD Ripping Speed by Removing “Riplock” " that links to macobserver.com, which describes the process of finding and installing firmware that removes it.

I've been lucky - the LG drives I've bought don't have riplock.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
smares

Post by smares »

Maybe I was not clear, I know my drive has a rip lock. What I don't understand is how come for single-layer discs it does't even reach 1x. I thought 1x is the minimum speed required for Blu-ray playback. Therefore my question: from the drive's point of view, is there a difference between disc playback and ripping?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, at least 1x is needed to get smooth playback.
smares

Post by smares »

Wondering why the drive is reading at only 0.4x then. The disc is in perfect condition, no scratches whatsoever. That's why I was asking if there's a difference for the drive if a disc is being read for playback or read for copy. It was my understanding that riplock is not really a riplock per-se, but the drive is limiting the read speed in case of video DVD/BD so that it doesn't make too much noise during playback.
smares

Post by smares »

Roger Waters - The Wall is also ripping at only 0.5x and the disc is brand new. :(
smares

Post by smares »

I am not sure if this is the reason as it only happened with three discs so far, but I'll be damned if it is coincidence. My Samsung drive, if the Blu-ray inserted updates the AACS version, will read with 0.5x until the next tray cycle. I only noticed now that the Roger Waters Blu-ray has AACS v57 and until now, I had v54 on the drive. The same happened with Ghost in the Shell a few months ago and another disc from Studio Ghibli that I now forgot.
techluver

Post by techluver »

How do i know if my drive has riplock, or how to fix if it does? I do not see anything about that on the website.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

One way is to put your drive's model number into a search engine with the word "riplock", and see if you get any hits...

Also, if your rips ALWAYS top out at 2.0x, whether you're ripping a DVD or a BD, it's a pretty good sign that riplock is involved. Even on a slow computer (2GHz Celeron 2 core), MakeMKV can spin two drives at 7-10x as you get to the outer edges of the disk, and I've seen 17x on some disks.
techluver

Post by techluver »

I had done that.
My search turned up nothing about my drive and riplock but it is only going at about 2x so I'm wondering if that may be it.