Finding Correct Episode Order On Blu ray disk??

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
MovieBuff44

Finding Correct Episode Order On Blu ray disk??

Post by MovieBuff44 »

Hey guys I'm new here but a long time user. I have ripped many seasons of TV series quite easily but with this particular show I seem to notice more titles with similar file sizes and run times. The TV Show in Particular is Vikings Season 2. It's 4 episodes contained on the disk but I get several options in the menu.

When episodes are like this how can you be sure which is correct order? Any tips? I haven't seen any of Season 2 and don't want something to be spoiled thinking I'm playing episode 1 and end up playing episode 4. I remember reading somewhere that a database for users was being made for Movies and TV shows that help identify which segments and MPLS are correct for each episode and movie. Is that here or somewhere else? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by MovieBuff44 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Finding Correct Episode Order On Blu ray disk??

Post by Woodstock »

Lots of possibilities, but you are likely seeing something like this scenario.... The file NAMES on the disk have the correct order, but they are not in the DIRECTORY of the disk in order. And MakeMKV presents the title numbers to you in the order it found them in the directory, NOT by file name. Example from a disk set I ripped yesterday:
MakeMKV v1.9.7 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\XXXXXXXX/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File 00011.mpls was added as title #0
File 00010.mpls was added as title #1
File 00009.mpls was added as title #2
File 00008.mpls was added as title #3
File 00007.mpls was added as title #4
File 00006.mpls was added as title #5
File 00013.mpls was added as title #6
File 00014.mpls was added as title #7
File 00012.mpls was added as title #8
The actual episodes are in order, if you go by file name, but they are title numbers 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 8, 6, and 7 in MakeMKV's menu.

If you missed the clue when the disk was being opened, you get a second change (with Expert mode enabled), when you use the naming feature - watch the "Source file name:" field in the Info window as you scroll down.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MovieBuff44

Post by MovieBuff44 »

Woodstock wrote:Lots of possibilities, but you are likely seeing something like this scenario.... The file NAMES on the disk have the correct order, but they are not in the DIRECTORY of the disk in order. And MakeMKV presents the title numbers to you in the order it found them in the directory, NOT by file name. Example from a disk set I ripped yesterday:
The actual episodes are in order, if you go by file name, but they are title numbers 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 8, 6, and 7 in MakeMKV's menu.

If you missed the clue when the disk was being opened, you get a second change (with Expert mode enabled), when you use the naming feature - watch the "Source file name:" field in the Info window as you scroll down.
Thanks for the reply Woodstock I appreciate it. So just to be clear, on my title menu the "Source File Name" which is usually 00804.mpls is the name that should be in order, or the regular "File Name" in the menu which usually ends with .t01.mkv? I know I'm probably over thinking so please be patient with me. Thanks!
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

You look to the segment map first, then the source file name. Either, both or neither could be right.

If there's a playall, you can look at it's segments map and that will show you exactly the right order.

m2ts (segment) file numbers are in order MOST of the time, but episodes with special features or commentaries can be numbered differently from the rest and throw it off. Sometimes the mpls file will correct that, sometimes it's worse, other times with a little bit of observation and thought you can figure out how to fit the oddly numbered segments between the gaps in the numbering of the rest of the episodes.

Warehouse 13 had all the m2ts files ordered like 0,1,2,3,4. Except the episodes with commentaries were numbered 812 or something.

I'm looking at disc two of season one of Agents of Shield at the moment. The second and third episodes on the disc have a reverse order depending on wether you're looking at m2ts file or mpls. I'll have to watch it to make sure which one is right.
MovieBuff44

Post by MovieBuff44 »

I think what confused me with the Vikings Season 2 blu ray was the fact that on the disk it contained the standard edition of the episodes, and also the Extended Unrated version of the episodes. So now I am still trying to figure out the best way to approach ripping these in the correct order. Anyone have experience ripping Vikings Season 2 on blu ray? If so I would appreciate any input you may have.
serendipitous

Post by serendipitous »

Download all the episodes.
In a browser, go to IMDB. Look-up the series. Scroll down to "See full cast »".
For each downloaded episode:
Go to the end where they list the actors. The last actor listed will be the one with the smallest part.
He is usually the one in that episode alone.
Search for that actor in your IMDB window See the episode he was in.

Sometimes you have to search for a couple of actors to narrow-down the episode.
t11chb

Post by t11chb »

The way i'm doing it for now is open the Bluray image (assuming you still have that) with a player and look at the chapters in order.
When you open each MKV scrub till the end and match up by the length.

Something worked for me on one disc but not another:
BDMV\META\DL\bdmt_eng.xml

Might contain track info
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

t11chb wrote:The way i'm doing it for now is open the Bluray image (assuming you still have that) with a player and look at the chapters in order.
When you open each MKV scrub till the end and match up by the length.
Movies that have various play lists that play segments out-of-order are not done so on chapter boundaries. Hungry Games - Mockingjay Pt2 is a prime example where a swapping of segments were done within the first chapter. One segments was about 30 seconds long, easily missed.
frenchfries

Post by frenchfries »

MrVideo wrote: Movies that have various play lists that play segments out-of-order are not done so on chapter boundaries. Hungry Games - Mockingjay Pt2 is a prime example where a swapping of segments were done within the first chapter. One segments was about 30 seconds long, easily missed.
I have just bounced onto the same movie "Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2". It offer 302 (!) versions of the movie, from Hunger_Games_Mockingjay_Part_2_t00.mkv to Hunger_Games_Mockingjay_Part_2_t301.mkv, of course each one with different segment map...
How do I select the right version? If I don't get the right one and make a MKV for playing on my server, the movie sequences are in odd order. Is there a method to find the right version?
jatr12

Post by jatr12 »

Another way that is somewhat of a pain, but very reliable, is to search the subtitles for text from the episode, which you can almost always find in "quotes" on IMDB.

To do this you need to first extract the subtitles, using something like MKVExtractGUI https://sourceforge.net/projects/mkvextractgui-2/

They will probably be sup, so you need to convert them to srt so you can search for text using something like SubtitleEdit https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases

Then you can just open-text search all the subtitle files for some snippet from the quotes and you should figure it out pretty easily.
Le-Kube

Post by Le-Kube »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:05 am
Lots of possibilities, but you are likely seeing something like this scenario.... The file NAMES on the disk have the correct order, but they are not in the DIRECTORY of the disk in order. And MakeMKV presents the title numbers to you in the order it found them in the directory, NOT by file name. Example from a disk set I ripped yesterday:

Sorry, I know this is old, but I have the same problem described here (aka the the file are not ordered by name so i end up with episodes in reverse order on the final mkv)
What is the solution to reorder the files ?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Changing names with Expert mode enabled is how I deal with it.

If you don't see the images, it is because your browser is blocking the non-secure picture content. Not much I can do about that, since the hosting server doesn't use https. RIGHT clicking on the image and selecting "view image in another tab" (or your browser's equivalent) will display them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging