No beta-key for June -2016

Everything related to MakeMKV
yorgo

Re: No beta-key for June -2016

Post by yorgo »

SamuriHL wrote:But, but, what about the conspiracy theories that this project was dead? What about the fact that it was abandoned?? LMAO. Ok, people, you ready to go buy it now? LOL
I just fell out of my chair laughing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup, time to pony up! Let's see if any of the naysayers respond!
Peter01

Post by Peter01 »

No, I will buy DVDFab.
They have the clearer concept.
Even freeware ("All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.") should work, otherwise it makes no sense. If the developer does not just regularly has time to take care of his software, he should not interrupt the functionality by expiring keys. Then he should think about other solutions for more permanent functionality. Or just plainly say, 30-day trial period, then has to be paid. Speaking pay, paying for a beta?! The developer will have his reasons why he lets the software in this state. Perhaps precisely because he has only irregular time for the project. And will not have the responsibility.

I would find it better, if he let it in always functionaly freeware (without keys!) and let the people spend (especially when he wants to let it always in beta state).
Or like I wrote, a testing period and then become payware.
Or a freeware with limited functionality and a payware for more functionality ...

But the way he has chosen, is for me the most unclear and worst. By repeatedly expired keys that make the program for days or weeks useless, I feel blackmailed and compelled for paid version.
And that's why I do not buy it extra!
miss_nancy

beta-key for July 2016 activates makemkv.v1.9.10

Post by miss_nancy »

can confirm: july 2016 reg code (posted by mike, mar 2010) activates makemkv.v1.9.10

I can pay $50 american for it, but hoping for lower price if possible, once beta period ends.

I have some issues in OS X:
1. have to click anywhere in window with list of files ("type" column) to cause checkmarks to appear (yosemite)
2. does not save jpeg (snow leopard)
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Peter01 wrote:No, I will buy DVDFab....
!
You've obviously put thought into the decision and have opted for something else, great! I'm sure you'll enjoy your purchase and, should you reconsider in the future, MakeMKV will be here.

In the meantime, let's move on...
yorgo

Re: beta-key for July 2016 activates makemkv.v1.9.10

Post by yorgo »

miss_nancy wrote:
I can pay $50 american for it, but hoping for lower price if possible, once beta period ends.
Why would (or should) the price be reduced once beta period ends?
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

Peter01 wrote:No, I will buy DVDFab.
They have the clearer concept.
Even freeware ("All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.") should work, otherwise it makes no sense. If the developer does not just regularly has time to take care of his software, he should not interrupt the functionality by expiring keys. Then he should think about other solutions for more permanent functionality. Or just plainly say, 30-day trial period, then has to be paid. Speaking pay, paying for a beta?! The developer will have his reasons why he lets the software in this state. Perhaps precisely because he has only irregular time for the project. And will not have the responsibility.

I would find it better, if he let it in always functionaly freeware (without keys!) and let the people spend (especially when he wants to let it always in beta state).
Or like I wrote, a testing period and then become payware.
Or a freeware with limited functionality and a payware for more functionality ...

But the way he has chosen, is for me the most unclear and worst. By repeatedly expired keys that make the program for days or weeks useless, I feel blackmailed and compelled for paid version.
And that's why I do not buy it extra!
What a crock. Crying that the free software, you've used for how long, requires a new key every few months and it takes a few days or even a few more to get that key is so utterly childish and pathetic. I've used MakeMKV just about every day since the end of May. It takes 20 seconds to adjust my system date, start MakeMKV, then put my system date back to normal. This slight inconvenience is nothing to me. A blip on the radar gone as fast as it appears. If the project ever goes non-beta to a finished paid program I'll happily pay. With the current exchange rates and the continued generous offering by the developer to keep his beta free I'll suffer the horror that is waiting a few days or changing my system date.

Each and every time the beta key expires there's a ton of whiners who show up crying about it like little children. Put up or shut up. Pay or GTFO. That's what I have to say. But continuing to act as some of you do I can see MakeMKV disappearing forever and I wouldn't blame Mike for doing so. Perhaps he should just ban the users who start these threads constantly, whine and cry like pathetic children and then state they won't financially support him but instead will pay for some other software when we all know they will be here taking the beta key when it's updated and continue to use the functions of MakeMKV. After all, MakeMKV has be going on longer than I've been using it and will continue (I hope) long after you whiners leave without any of your financial support. You aren't the make-or-break of this program. You could be the catalyst to ruin it for everyone however so don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Thank you Mike for your continued support and development. When my government figures out how badly they are hurting their citizens I'll be here to financially support you and happy to do so.
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

I'd agree Batiatus. I'm sick of seeing the whining and the massive uptick of all these noobs since AnyDVD went offline who have no respect for the established users who've been here for years and ask really asinine and trivial questions that could be answered via digging into the forums. Thanks for being a great new user and sticking up for Mike.

Also...the continual asking of "which playlist for movie X" is getting obnoxious. Just pony up and get PowerDVD and fire up procmon to determine the EXACT correct playlist you should be choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You're free to purchase whatever you want and are _entitled_ to whatever opinion you wish. ;) But you should understand the effort Mike puts into this product. You may not like how he handles a program he spends time and effort writing, but, it's not up to you to decide that. Many of us support Mike. Many others complain about the price, or the update schedule, or the way keys are handled while it's still in development. The fact that it's still in beta is a testament to Mike's work ethic in making this thing flawless before calling it final. That's the sign of a perfectionist. I've had no gaps in my usage since I bought a license years ago. No functionality issues whatsoever. It's up to every single person to decide what fits their needs.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

taylorwmj wrote:IThanks for being a great new user and sticking up for Mike.
New user? I joined the forums 2 years before you did :lol:

I love MakeMKV. I don't mind the discussion over the stupid multi-thousand playlists that dumb studios like Lionsgate use because if someone has figured it out it's great to offer that information to others for quicker reference. Just expecting others to do the dirty work for you isn't cool though. If I find useful info here I'm happy. If I don't I figure it out myself and post it here (if I remember before I forget and get lost again).

At the end of the day though this thread will show up again August 1. Likely filled with the same who showed up to whine this time around without even bothering to search the forum to see if a similar thread (and possible solution) already exists.
DocSavage

Post by DocSavage »

taylorwmj wrote:Also...the continual asking of "which playlist for movie X" is getting obnoxious. Just pony up and get PowerDVD and fire up procmon to determine the EXACT correct playlist you should be choosing.
This gets quite a bit tricky under Linux.
Realacs

Post by Realacs »

Thank you Mike,

I just found the new key. I realy thought, that you probably stopped working on your project and I'm realy relieved, that I'm mistaken. I don't wanna miss makemkv :wink:

With warm regards from Hamburg
while(!asleep()) { sheep++; }
makememe

Post by makememe »

for those bemoaning the beta-key, buy the app; the dev deserves the support.

also, for those going on about what a piece of software. YO! come on, piece of what? where is that big pie? what a piece of machinery? piece of art? what? try, what great software, that is great art, or what a machine, etc.

thinking about what a piece of thought this is?! ...buy the app.

thanks mike.
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

Batiatus wrote:New user? I joined the forums 2 years before you did :lol:
Good call dude. Haha. Didn't notice that since I saw your post and replied via Tapatalk (which doesn't show join date). Just saw that you said you'd been using it every day since the end of May and made a bad assumption. Also been a user myself for a few years, just never registered until roughly a year ago.
Peter01

Post by Peter01 »

@ Batiatus & taylorwmj
Seems you are the only ones who are whining and crying here! :lol:

Calm down. 8)
For me MakeMKV was anyway only a temporary solution, because the MKVs in my multimedia player sometimes/often did not work properly. (But for sure, it's my players fault! ;)). That said, I always had to rip the whole blu-ray and then somehow process it with another program. For example by extracting the mainmovie with an old freeware edition of DVDFab.
The trick with the reset date this time works for me too. But last time it didn't work for any reason. (I deinstalled, cleaned my system (program folder, folder in user data, registry) set date back, reinstalled, but did not work!)
And every time this nail-biter, no thanks!
When it's okay for you to buy it then - just do it! I wrote my reasons, why I did not.

But I am pleased if as many buy the program and support the project thus. Because there are, unfortunately, very few solutions in this area. And the survival of all is somehow compromised!
Who knows, maybe I'll be sometime dependent on this program. So it would be fine, it's still alive then!
robertpetry

Post by robertpetry »

makememe wrote:for those bemoaning the beta-key, buy the app; the dev deserves the support.

also, for those going on about what a piece of software. YO! come on, piece of what? where is that big pie? what a piece of machinery? piece of art? what? try, what great software, that is great art, or what a machine, etc.

thinking about what a piece of thought this is?! ...buy the app.

thanks mike.
lol, did this go through Google Translate or is it just a language barrier issue. I have no idea what this means or what you are talking about. lol

Anyway, I think I started the discussion of the price of the software by simply stating that for me, $50 was a bit more than I get the value of since I don't use it often. I am perfectly fine with the Betas and keys and appreciate being able to use the software. I would happily pay $25 or $30 for the software and and just wanted to provide that honest feedback. If some of you feel that is moaning and whining, well, you are wrong. Hopefully you are pointing to other posts when using that description.

Anyway, I like MakeMKV and appreciate it enough to want to support at a reasonable level FOR ME and MY USAGE. That is all I was communicating.

Regarding DVDFab, there are pro's and cons. Pro - it rips and converts to a compressed format (like Handbrake) in one step. That saves me some time (although I'm sure there are some macro's I could set up if I wanted to spend a few hours on it - but I don't). And the UI is decent and more modern.

Cons for DVDFab - you have to have the full set of programs (all the stupid tabs) even though you don't own them. There is a splash screen when you launch asking you to buy more functionality. Price is double MakeMKV. And if you read the moderator's comments in the DVDFab forums, they are not user friendly. Kinda rude actually.