Need recommendation for new drive.

Everything related to MakeMKV
mse09

Need recommendation for new drive.

Post by mse09 »

Hello all I've currently got an asus bc-12b1st bd-rom drive. It's done well for the last couple years (have ripped well over 200+ titles) but lately has been giving me trouble. I last used it a couple months ago to rip some blu ray copies of the god father trilogy and it worked fine. Today I attempted to rip copies of the movies Zootopia and Risen (both blu-ray) but the drive doesn't even recognize that a disk is inserted. I put in a basic dvd of Jungle Book and it showed up perfectly fine and would play through VLC but will not rip properly in MakeMKV. I've had issues with a select few titles over the years but never multiple failures back to back and especially not ever showing "no disc" as it's now doing. So I think it's time for a new drive. I'd like one that reads blu ray but it doesn't need to write as far as I'm concerned. I buy all of my physical media and use this as a back-up just due to having small children in the home (broken/scratched discs, etc). So what are some decent models to look at? I'd prefer internal (I've got a huge ATX case w/ 3 drive bays) but am not opposed to external by any means. Thanks in advance.
JeffR1

Re: Need recommendation for new drive.

Post by JeffR1 »

mse09 wrote:Hello all I've currently got an asus bc-12b1st bd-rom drive. It's done well for the last couple years (have ripped well over 200+ titles) but lately has been giving me trouble. I last used it a couple months ago to rip some blu ray copies of the god father trilogy and it worked fine. Today I attempted to rip copies of the movies Zootopia and Risen (both blu-ray) but the drive doesn't even recognize that a disk is inserted. I put in a basic dvd of Jungle Book and it showed up perfectly fine and would play through VLC but will not rip properly in MakeMKV. I've had issues with a select few titles over the years but never multiple failures back to back and especially not ever showing "no disc" as it's now doing. So I think it's time for a new drive. I'd like one that reads blu ray but it doesn't need to write as far as I'm concerned. I buy all of my physical media and use this as a back-up just due to having small children in the home (broken/scratched discs, etc). So what are some decent models to look at? I'd prefer internal (I've got a huge ATX case w/ 3 drive bays) but am not opposed to external by any means. Thanks in advance.
LG is the drive of choice for most, they seem to last the longest.
I have an external drive that still reads and writes HD-DVD.

But try gently cleaning the lens first with some Q-tips and some isopropyl alcohol.
The lens won't appear dirty, but they have a tendency to get a film on them.
mse09

Re: Need recommendation for new drive.

Post by mse09 »

JeffR1 wrote: LG is the drive of choice for most, they seem to last the longest.
I have an external drive that still reads and writes HD-DVD.

But try gently cleaning the lens first with some Q-tips and some isopropyl alcohol.
The lens won't appear dirty, but they have a tendency to get a film on them.

Awesome, thank you for the information. :)