Wreck-It Ralph - which .mpls?

Everything related to MakeMKV
MrVideo

Re: Wreck-It Ralph - which .mpls?

Post by MrVideo »

dbman wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I just opened a disk with 300 title variations. If the Blu-Ray player can know what to play, the information must be on the disk somewhere. Is there a way MakeMKV can find it and highlight the default title?
It is a Java code thing. The Java code looks for the fact that the disc is still copy protected, along with other items that marks the media as being pressed, vs being copied.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

dbman wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I just opened a disk with 300 title variations. If the Blu-Ray player can know what to play, the information must be on the disk somewhere. Is there a way MakeMKV can find it and highlight the default title?
This is called "screen pass protection" or "playlist obfuscation" and is quite common with discs from many studios like Lionsgate. Currently, MakeMKV cannot determine which playlist is the correct one though rumor is that it's being worked on. There are a couple workarounds (search this site) such as having RedFox AnyDVD decrypt the disc; once decrypted, AnyDVD's status window will display the correct playlist. With the latest discs, the info may not be immediately available but RedFox usually have an update shortly after the issue is reported. You may want to check out https://forum.redfox.bz/forums/anydvd-hd-blu-ray.53/ for more info.

Given how often this topic comes up, perhaps a mod could create a sticky for this issue?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The information is not on the disc somewhere. A BD-J "program" is run by a licensed player to determine the proper playlist. Emulating a proper player to run that code is especially difficult.
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

Mike is working on it. If you'd do some digging around the forum, you'd see that the newest release actually begins to address this. Thus far it's generally for older discs only as the Java generally changes over time.

From the release notes:
MakeMKV v1.10.0 (15.7.2016 )
-Added support for AACS v61
-Initial support for BD-Java discs. For now mostly old titles are supported, and only when opening the original disc (not a backup).
-Further improved handling for BDAV discs with mastering errors
-Bug fixes:When making a full-disc backup, MakeMKV could incorrectly skip some BD-J related files, preventing future BD-J emulation from the produced backup.
It's not as easy as you'd think as it's handled w/in Java on the disc and involves scanning the code to find the playlist that's called from the keypress action of "Play" from a graphical disc menu.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

yorgo wrote:This is called "screen pass protection" or "playlist obfuscation" and is quite common with discs from many studios like Lionsgate.
Universal/Lionsgate is the only company that is using obfuscation.