Batman v Superman; no audio, intel graphics?

Everything related to MakeMKV
beatsntoons

Batman v Superman; no audio, intel graphics?

Post by beatsntoons »

Hi all

My PC graphics card recently died, which has forced me to fallback to using onboard graphics from my Intel 4770.

I recently purchased 4K Batman v Superman and I decided to rip the standard BR disc (not 4K obviously)).

Unfortunately, I get little to no sound from the resulting file(s). I've ripped both tracks on the disc, and used two different BR drives to do it, so have two MKV files now to test. Both either give me stuttering audio or no audio. I copied across the file to my Surface Pro 4, which uses Intel Iris Graphics 540, and it has the same issue.

The disc seems fine, as it plays no problem in my Xbox One. Streaming the files I've ripped from my PC to the Xbox via Plex also gives me no problems (besides some weird mottled pink video glitches during action, like when the police first encounter Batman; each shotgun blast displays video glitches from both MKV files)

Is there something up with my disc, or is it my Intel graphics?

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Batman v Superman; no audio, intel graphics?

Post by Woodstock »

I would check the settings on the graphics driver. Most have the option to route the audio through the HDMI or DVI cable, but it isn't always turned on.

In my case, I have that option turned off, because the audio is routed to the HDMI cable on the AMD card in the system. You may have had a similar setup.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
beatsntoons

Post by beatsntoons »

I don't think that's it (couldn't even find that setting in the graphics control panel) for two reasons
1. My Surface doesn't use HDMI or DVI-D and suffers from the same problem as my desktop PC which uses DVI-D.
2. Other MKV files play perfectly. It's just this title that's giving me trouble.
beatsntoons

Post by beatsntoons »

Just ripped it again using DVDFab. Same issue.

Also managed to source another graphics card, and yep, same issue when I use that.

So probably a disc problem yes?
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

beatsntoons wrote:So probably a disc problem yes?
Disc plays fine, so I seriously doubt it.
beatsntoons

Post by beatsntoons »

Hmm. Could be VLC defaulting to 7.1! Initial MKVs I ripped only had 7.1 copied across, not the 5.1 track

I tested it again with DVDFab, and the file still had errors. But I then played it with the Movies and TV app from Microsoft (Win10) which played it fine, though with a narration overlay I couldn't disable.

Used MakeMKV again, this time ripped the following:

The file again, couldn't play properly in VLC when the 7.1 track was selected, but played fine with 5.1. It also played fine in Movies and TV. I always thought 7.1 was backwards compatible; I've ripped several movies with just the 7.1 track which has played in stereo when necessary.

MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

beatsntoons wrote:I always thought 7.1 was backwards compatible
It is. The core is 5.1. I haven't tried putting a 7.1 HD soundtrack thru VLC recently. Since I only have an optical connection to my amp, the core is supposed to be extracted and sent over the optical connection.
pauldavis

Post by pauldavis »

I think it might be the disc issue. You might experience a different problem if it is of intel graphics.
Get the best essays written by experts
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

VLC doesn't do TrueHD 7.1. At least a standard install of VLC doesn't, I haven't messed about with installing codecs.

DTS-HD 7.1 works fine, TrueHD 5.1 is fine, TrueHD 7.1 does not work... you will experience an intermittent pop of sound every few seconds.