Subtitles

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
cinocin

Subtitles

Post by cinocin »

MakeMKV 1.10.0 everything are OK. But some dvd's have much subtitles. I can't select my language. That's the problem. Please help me..! What must I do..?
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

What you can do depends upon how you are playing the MKV file. Most players I have used always play the first subtitle track in the file. At best, they'll play the first track in your preferred language. NONE that I have used actually pay attention to the "Default" flag, although I'm told that Kodi can.

I would recommend playing the file in VLC from videolan.org, to find out which track(s) meet your needs. You can then use mkvmerge to move the tracks around as needed for your player, and even see if your player respects the "default" flag. Search for "mkvtoolnix" and download the package for your computer from the official site, mkvmerge and a graphic interface for it are part of that package.

Alternatively, you can substitute handbrake from handbrake.fr to mkvmerge, and compress the video to take up less space. Doing that opens up a lot more possibilities, bit it also adds a layer of complexity you may not wish to deal with at this point.

The objective, though, is to get the correct subtitle track for your needs to be the first one in the file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cinocin

Post by cinocin »

Before beginning to convert, in MakeMKV program, I must select in dvd which has Audio and Subtitles.. If its possible.?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When you load the DVD, the left hand menu will list all of the titles found that are larger than your minimum size. Next to each one is a triangle... Click on it, and it will open up the list of tracks within the title.

Here you can chose which tracks to include in the output. But you really can't tell whether a subtitle track is "complete" (all dialog) or "forced only" (signs and such only) at this point, so it is a gamble without looking at the title with something like VLC.
cinocin

Post by cinocin »

MakeMKV 1.10.0 everything are OK.
But some dvd's have much Audio and subtitles. In makeMKV program, I might select Audio and subtitles in dvd after loading and before beginning to convert, I must see all of audio and subtitles and which I prefer I can select.
Now I can't select my language. That's the problem. The next version of MakeMKV if its possible..
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV will list all the audio and subtitle tracks it finds, with the language tag it has on it. If your language isn't listed, it isn't a track for that language in the file.

If you have set up a "preferred language" for MakeMKV, it will pre-select tracks with that language tag. But you should always have the option to select/deselect any audio or subtitle track.
Aast656

Post by Aast656 »

When converting a DVD to MKV I use to load the DVD with the DVDSubEdit program, in order to check the content of each subtitle track.

This program also provides information about if any subtitle track includes forced subtitles or not (subtitles with forced tag). If so, I extract these forced subtitles with VSRip, as this feature is not included in MakeMKV, and I include them in the MKV file with the MKVMerge program.
cinocin

Post by cinocin »

If ı have setup a "preferred language" for makeMKV, after converting dvd there is no voice on Samsung smart tv.
I said that MakeMKV the best converting program for me. Only problem If there are much audio and especially subtitles on dvd, to select which I prefer.. If there are only 1-5 subtitles on dvd there is no problem. You can see 1-5 subtitles on mkv file..
Thanks for your help..!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The specific player (Samsung) may not support the audio encoding of the first audio track of the video.

First test would be to use something that understands "most" audio codecs. VLC from VideoLan.org is one such program, although its quality has gotten somewhat spotty in recent versions. Does the file have audio when played in VLC?

If so, bring up the information page in VLC (usually "Ctrl-I"), and go to the Codec page. What does it show for the encoding of the track being played? Is that encoding one supported by your TV, or is it one that will be passed to an external decoder?
cinocin

Post by cinocin »

In program MakeMKV preferences:
Options:
"Interface Language" must be "AUDIO"
"Preferred Language" must be "SUBTİTLES"
And I can select What I need.. Thankyou.
cinocin

Post by cinocin »

MakeMKV preferences + Options
(I need Turkish subtitles.)
In DVD:
Audio: English, French, German, italian, Spanish..
Subtitles: English,German, French, Spanish, Italian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Dutch, Arabic, Polish, Turkish

Interface Language: Select English. or Auto. And
Preferred Language: select Turkish.
After converting DVD There is NO VOICES (No audio) in mkv file.. There is only Turkish subtitles in mkv file..

Interface Language: Select Auto
Preferred Language: select None
After converting DVD There are 5 audio, and there are 5.. sustitles English,German, French, Spanish, Italian.. I cant select Turkish subtitles..

Sorry my English is not good. Thankyou for your help.
Aast656

Post by Aast656 »

In order to control the audio and subtitles to be includes in the MKV I wouldn't use the preferences of the program.

Instead, and once the DVD has been loaded and examines, select the main movie and "unfold" it, so all audio and subtitles are listed. In this list you can select, playing a "x" in the small square in the left, the audio and subtitles to be includes. Additionally, if you are in expert mode, you can also change the name of the track, the default tracks, etc.
cinocin

Post by cinocin »

Aast656 wrote:In order to control the audio and subtitles to be includes in the MKV I wouldn't use the preferences of the program.

Instead, and once the DVD has been loaded and examines, select the main movie and "unfold" it, so all audio and subtitles are listed. In this list you can select, playing a "x" in the small square in the left, the audio and subtitles to be includes. Additionally, if you are in expert mode, you can also change the name of the track, the default tracks, etc.
Thankyou. İts Ok. I selected my language.