Chapters - disable/enable option

Everything related to MakeMKV
VAMET

Chapters - disable/enable option

Post by VAMET »

Dear Friends

It's my first post, so I am glad to be here and I would like to say hello to everybody.

MakeMKV is a great software, I like it very much, but I would like to ask, if there is a possibility to untick chapters from the list, because I would like to create .mkv file without chapters? At the moment I use MakeMKV to create .mkv file from my BD collection and then I use MKVToolNix software to delete chapters from .mkv file.

EDIT

Is there a possibility to untick all titles by default, when MakeMKV is creating a list of titles?

I would be glad to have such option in MakeMKV.

Sincerely
Yugatha

Re: Chapters - disable/enable option

Post by Yugatha »

I highly doubt there'll be made an option where everything is deselected by default, but you can right click on a title, and select "Unselect All". which will deselect all titles, which should help.

Last edited by Yugatha on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
VAMET

Post by VAMET »

Dear Friends
Yugatha wrote:I highly doubt there'll be made an option where everything is deselected by default, but you can right click on a title, and select "Deselect All". which will deselect all titles, which should help.
Yes, thank you for your help, but I have already known that way to unselect titles. I would like to untick them by default like other elements in Expert Mode. I tried to use "-sel:all" in Expert Mode, but it's not working on titles. What about chapters, any chances to have an option to untick them before creating .mkv file?

Sincerely
Last edited by VAMET on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

VAMET wrote:
I tried to use "-sel:all" in Expert Mode, but it's not working on titles. What about chapters, any chances to have an option to untick them before creating .mkv file?
Chapters
It looks like chapters aren't selectable / deselectable, so currently that won't be removable via MakeMKV. A programm called MKVToolnix GUI can remove chapters, if you so wish, but most people will find Chapters to be beneficial, rather than something to be removed.

Titles
Per the advanced guide (as far as I could tell), all of the options are for track selection (ie, audio, video, subtitle tracks) rather than title selection. When scanning some certain copy-protected movies, some titles are deselected by default (when they have different angles, or something similar). It doesn't seem like it can be removed via a profile, though
VAMET

Post by VAMET »

Dear Yugatha
Yugatha wrote:
VAMET wrote:
I tried to use "-sel:all" in Expert Mode, but it's not working on titles. What about chapters, any chances to have an option to untick them before creating .mkv file?
Chapters
It looks like chapters aren't selectable / deselectable, so currently that won't be removable via MakeMKV. A programm called MKVToolnix GUI can remove chapters, if you so wish, but most people will find Chapters to be beneficial, rather than something to be removed.

Titles
Per the advanced guide (as far as I could tell), all of the options are for track selection (ie, audio, video, subtitle tracks) rather than title selection. When scanning some certain copy-protected movies, some titles are deselected by default (when they have different angles, or something similar). It doesn't seem like it can be removed via a profile, though
Yes, I know that in Expert Mode there is no possibility to set by default to untick titles. I wish there was such option. As for chapters, if there are options to deselect video, audio, subtitle tracks, so why not give an option to deselect chapters before creating .mkv file? Yes, I use MKVToolNix, but it's not working very well with MVC, so I would like to have such option in MakeMKV.

Sincerely
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

VAMET wrote:
As for chapters, if there are options to deselect video, audio, subtitle tracks, so why not give an option to deselect chapters before creating .mkv file? Yes, I use MKVToolNix, but it's not working very well with MVC, so I would like to have such option in MakeMKV.
I can't speak for Mike (admin), and I'm not a member of the staff (just a community helper), so what I say won't necessarily be 100% as per the admin's decision. However, it has been mentioned previously that MakeMKV is not intending to be the swiss army knife of DVD / BluRay ripping. It aims to do a small range of functions, and aims to do them well. Removing chapters isn't a current feature. It would be up to Mike to add it in.

However, seeing as Chapters are only a couple of bytes / kilobytes (from a multi-gigabyte video file), and there's only the one set of chapters (ie, not multiple chapter selections), it is always selected and copied into the mkv file. Same rule as the video file - there's only one, so it's copied all the time. The reason audio and subtitles (and attachments on BluRay discs) are removable is because there are multiple options - different languages, director editions, hard of hearing etc, and not many users want 100% of the tracks.

I'd wait to see what Mike says, but for now, I'd keep using MKV Toolnix, and try figuring out the issue with that.

Yugatha
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

VAMET wrote:if there is a possibility to untick chapters from the list, because I would like to create .mkv file without chapters?
Why? What is wrong with chapters? As pointed out, they take very little space. Chapters are completely ignorable when the MKV file is being played.
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

You could make a batch file using mkvpropedit to loop through the mkvs after MakeMKV creates them. Something like

Code: Select all

for %%a in (*.mkv) do mkvpropedit.exe %%a --chapters ""
It's not ideal, but it's only one extra click.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

MrVideo wrote:
VAMET wrote:if there is a possibility to untick chapters from the list, because I would like to create .mkv file without chapters?
Why? What is wrong with chapters? As pointed out, they take very little space. Chapters are completely ignorable when the MKV file is being played.

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Removing chapters is beyond stupid.