Copy Protection Key Exchange Failure

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
stoutkris

Copy Protection Key Exchange Failure

Post by stoutkris »

I'm getting this error code for a blu-ray disc and I don't know why:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - AUTHENTICATION FAILURE'

Included in the log is this bit:

Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Highest AACS version is v58 , MKB saved as /Users/StepOff/Library/MakeMKV/MKB_v58_COMING_HOME_2015.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted

I don't see why it's not working. The protection listed by MKV for this disc is AACS v58, and the drive has worked fine for every other blu-ray disc I've tried.

Anyone know?
Woodstock

Re: Copy Protection Key Exchange Failure

Post by Woodstock »

Version 1.9.10 of MakeMKV supports AACS up to v60, and one user has posted a message that indicates it also works with v61.

Are there any read errors leading up to the message about the key exchange failure? MakeMKV has to be able to read the beginning of the disk to get the information necessary to deal with the volume key, and errors near the hub (even "debug messages") can indicate a problem.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
stoutkris

Post by stoutkris »

Apparently I didn't have the latest version of the software. I'm not sure how that happened, but there it was. I downloaded the new version and it's working fine.

Thanks for your help.
DavidHOO

Post by DavidHOO »

MakeMKV 1.10.0 version supports AACS up to v60 and I have used it to decrypt Blu-ray Spectre 007. But I think the quality is really a little bit lower than another software called ByteCopy. And MakeMKV didn't decrypt my Revenant disc then I have to turn to Bytecopy cause it claims to support mkb v61.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV 1.10.0 supports AACS v61, which seems to be the latest one shipping.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging