DVD Backup + ISO Backup?

Everything related to MakeMKV
K@mpfH@mster

DVD Backup + ISO Backup?

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

Hi,

is there a technical reason why there is no backup option for DVDs? I would like to make backups from Zumba DVDs which have always several playlists and the newer one have several angles. So normal rip is a bad option.

And also I would like to create backup ISOs or at least zip packed, is there something planned for this?

THX
Woodstock

Re: DVD Backup + ISO Backup?

Post by Woodstock »

It's probably more an issue of what was available at the time, rather than what is technically feasible.

There are (and were) quite a number of free programs out there for making decrypted ISO copies of DVDs, but there was nothing similar at the time for Bluray. So Mike saw a market for that.

And, if I find myself needing a DVD ISO, it's probably because there is some issue with the disk where "skip bad blocks" comes in handy. MakeMKV doesn't skip bad blocks, even with the BD backup.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
K@mpfH@mster

Post by K@mpfH@mster »

Until now I used AnyDVD and DVDFab and I was not very happy with the backups they made, sometimes the discs couldnt be played on my pc if copy protection was removed. MakeMKV does a great job with Blurays, so I hope the developer could add this option.

And also ISO Support.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

I find it strange that DVDFab isn't able to make an ISO copy of a DVD that will play 100% of the time. Dual layer DVDs might not fit on dual layer blank media, as blank media is not at large as it is possible on manufactured discs. You can also try DVDFab's PassKey program along with the ImgBurn program to create an ISO copy.