MakeMKV No longer backs up Blu-rays

Everything related to MakeMKV
spirittoo

MakeMKV No longer backs up Blu-rays

Post by spirittoo »

The back up button is grayed out and there is nothing to indicate it expired. I tried to uninstall and reinstall it, but the same the backup button is grayed out. I thought this software was always free. Is there a way to get it to function again? Thank you for reading my post.
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV No longer backs up Blu-rays

Post by Woodstock »

Bluray functionality has a 30-day trial limit on it. You get it back by re-entering the beta key, found here: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

However, the current beta key is expired, so you have to set your system date back to the 25th of January or maybe a bit earlier when starting MakeMKV, until such time as Mike updates the key.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

You broke it. Forever. Good job!
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

Woodstock wrote:Bluray functionality has a 30-day trial limit on it. You get it back by re-entering the beta key, found here: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

However, the current beta key is expired, so you have to set your system date back to the 25th of January or maybe a bit earlier when starting MakeMKV, until such time as Mike updates the key.
I set it back to the 22nd but it didn't change anything. Maybe I didn't set it back correctly? You are referring to system restore to set it back or no? :?:

Thanks for reading my post. :mrgreen:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Moot point now, because the new key is available. But, you go to your system's date set program to put the date (don't bother with the time) back to before the key expired, start MakeMKV, then you can reset the system date to the current day.

After that, you go to Help->Register, and enter the beta key and save it. It may be the same key that was there, but the entry of the key is supposed to reset the 30-day counter for Bluray functionality.
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

Wellsir ... I opened the MKV software ... went to help ... clicked on register, put the code number I got from the link you provided ... It thank me and asked me to restart the program ... I did, but still the bluray back up option is grayed out. I uninstalled it ... installed the latest version, the code was still there I click on it, but nothing happen. Restarted computer ... Still no bluray option :? :?: :|

Help? :cry:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

At this point, I'd suggest sending a message to support@makemkv.com with a link to this topic - You've exhausted my knowledge on this, and it used to work. Not sure if Mike changed something to negate that.
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

How are you using the blu-ray backup? The steps to use it are:
1) Insert Bluray Disc
2) Open MakeMKV
3) Wait for MakeMKV to recognize the disc
4) Click Bluray backup button

Notes (important)
1. do NOT click the big "open disc" button in the middle - backup won't work if you've loaded the disc
2. Points one and two are interchangeable
3. Have fun
4. ^^ is optional
5. There was a 5th, but I can't remember
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

The software sees the disc, but it is still not giving me the bluray backup option ... it is still grayed out.

I sent an email to make with a link to the thread ... hopefully he will be able to help me. :?
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

Can someone direct me to the instructions for setting back your computer to get MKV to back up blurays again until I hear from Mike? Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It depends on your operating system and options.

In Windows, for example, IF you have the Taskbar enabled, you can right-click on the time display, and select "Adjust Date/Time". A window will pop up with a button to "change date and time". Click it. Under date, find and click on "January 25 2017". Click OK. Do NOT close the "Date and Time" window yet.

Start MakeMKV.

Now you can go back to the "Date and Time" window, and change the system date back to the current day.

If you still do not have access to Bluray features, your trial period may have ended before the 25th; in which case you'll have to set the date further back.
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

I have windows 7 64. Unfortunately it didn't work. I set the calendar back to the 25 of Jan. before it expired. Actually it stop working the day before it was to expire. I opened MKV but the back up option was still grayed out. I changed the date back ... nothing. I set the calendar back to the 7th of Jan. Doing the same as instructed and still nothing. I don't understand this. I guess Mike may be the only one that does. :? Thanks for posting. :|
rexdragon

Post by rexdragon »

I am running MakeMKV 1.10.4 on a windows 10 64bit machine and the only times your predicament (backup button grayed out) has ever happened to me is when:

1. disc inserted is a standard-def DVD and NOT a bluray.
2. disc inserted is a recordable BD-R disc and NOT a commercially-released bluray (purchased or rented)

:wink:
spirittoo

Post by spirittoo »

Well this is :oops: ... they have so many dang disc with some of these movies I didn't notice it was the DVD version. :roll: It is working again :lol: Thank you so much for posting :mrgreen:
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

It's often the simple things we miss. Good to hear it's back to normal :mrgreen: