Field Order

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Roehre

Field Order

Post by Roehre »

My MakeMKV 1.10.4 (Freeware) does not take the field order of DVDs MPEG2

What can I do? Would it be a common Feature?

Thanks
ndjamena

Re: Field Order

Post by ndjamena »

I'm curious... What on Earth makes you think that?
Roehre

Post by Roehre »

sometime the Output from the mkv is flickering.
If I set the Field order Tag using MKVtoolnix like the original DVD the Output is ok.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

The field order ought to be declared in the MPEG2 stream itself, adding it to the Matroska headers should be unnecessary.

If the wrong field order is declared in the MPEG2 stream, then the DVD should play back incorrectly too.

There's nothing MakeMKV could do about it in any case, since it doesn't analyse the picture at all and so can't perform the motion detection that would be needed to see that the fields are being presented out of order.

Assuming you've identified the problem correctly then your discs were authored incorrectly and it would take human observation and human intervention to correct the problem.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

This page describes the structure of an ifo file:

http://www.mpucoder.com/DVD/ifo.html

It lists the aspect ratio (everyone on this forum should be well aware that MakeMKV doesn't use the aspect ratio listed there) but there's absolutely no mention of a field order.

Unless you have evidence against this the DVD player must be getting its field order information from the MPEG2 stream which MakeMKV doesn't touch other than straight copying it into the new MKV.
Last edited by ndjamena on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

The only other possibility is your disc is NTSC with a top field first flag or PAL with a bottom field first flag and whatever dvd players you're using are ignoring it and sticking with the "standard" field orders for the respective formats.