Unexpected Bonus Files

Everything related to MakeMKV
EudaemonicPlague

Unexpected Bonus Files

Post by EudaemonicPlague »

When I first started filling up a portable drive with videos (for my next stay in the hospital) I made disc images. A few months ago, I started using MakeMKV instead, then I started ripping those images with MakeMKV. This has been going well, but last night, I started doing this with my Daria box set images (I'm too lazy to search for the original discs--my CDs and DVDs are scattered all through my house). When I started labeling the individual episodes, I found several that weren't listed on the box or the DVD menu, and they were basically repeats of earlier episodes, but with a very brief introduction from Daria and Jane. None of the Daria sites I've found have any mention of this, either, probably because they hadn't ripped them to individual episodes like I did. Oh, and all of the listed episodes for the disc are there, too.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has run across something like this before, with the Daria discs, or anything else. I can't imagine why those files would be on the disc, since the only way to access them would be to rip them to individual files.
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.
Woodstock

Re: Unexpected Bonus Files

Post by Woodstock »

It's more common with Bluray than DVD, but yes, you will find files with added commentary tracks that aren't listed on the box. Usually, it's the same as the main feature with additional audio enabled, or additional scenes stuck on in various places. The catch-all used for some are "Artist/Director commentary" in the feature list.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

EudaemonicPlague wrote:Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has run across something like this before, with the Daria discs, or anything else. I can't imagine why those files would be on the disc, since the only way to access them would be to rip them to individual files.
Actually they are accessible via the DVD/Blu-ray menu. You normally find the selection under special features, called something like: enable episode introduction by such-n-such.

Nothing is ever put on a disc without the ability to get at it, including easter eggs.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

If you go to the "episodes" submenu on the first disc, then select the first episode "esteemsters" you'll see that it gives two options, with "Daria Day intro" and without.
EudaemonicPlague

Post by EudaemonicPlague »

Ah, I see...I didn't go so far as to select the episode, I just checked to see what was listed. It didn't make sense to me that it wasn't shown on the list, so it should have occurred to me to check the episode itself. I'll learn someday. Thanks.
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

For what it's worth, the DVD ought to have 608 captions which MakeMKV doesn't rip, if you want to get at them you'd need to rip the discs using DVDShrink re-author mode first and convert the captions using CCExtractor.

If you're going to decide to keep the files with the intros, just in case you intend to do extra processing later or you're having problems with a player you should know there's a large gap in the audio between the end of the intro to the beginning of the actual episodes. If you want to fix that you'd need to extract the audio using EAC3To which will replace the gap with silent AC-3 frames before muxing it back into the file.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

ndjamena wrote:If you go to the "episodes" submenu on the first disc, then select the first episode "esteemsters" you'll see that it gives two options, with "Daria Day intro" and without.
That is another way this is accomplished. I've seen both. Sometimes. before you even do a "play all" it will ask.