Current situation of Dolby Atmos / DTS:X soundtrack

Everything related to MakeMKV
Bond007

Current situation of Dolby Atmos / DTS:X soundtrack

Post by Bond007 »

I was watching a Atmos movie when I realized the following:

The Dolby True HD soundtrack has Atmos information within, however my receiver only displays Dolby True HD.
I found some (quite old) forum entries here from 2015 which say that it is 'currently' only possible to rip the True HD soundtrack but not the further Atmos information (even though MakeMKV displays that there is Atmos).

Is this still the case, which means there is currently no way to rip Atmos at this point?
The same about DTS:X?

If not, what priority is this in the current development?
goaliebob99

Re: Current situation of Dolby Atmos / DTS:X soundtrack

Post by goaliebob99 »

Bond007 wrote:I was watching a Atmos movie when I realized the following:

The Dolby True HD soundtrack has Atmos information within, however my receiver only displays Dolby True HD.
I found some (quite old) forum entries here from 2015 which say that it is 'currently' only possible to rip the True HD soundtrack but not the further Atmos information (even though MakeMKV displays that there is Atmos).

Is this still the case, which means there is currently no way to rip Atmos at this point?
The same about DTS:X?

If not, what priority is this in the current development?
I've ripped both fine with Make MKV. It sounds like an issue with the receiver. If your ripping the True HD track, then your getting the ATMOS information. Every Bluray that I have ripped that has the DTSX or Atmos with MKV has worked without any issues. My Yamaha decodes it flawlessly.
Bond007

Post by Bond007 »

Thanks for your reply.
Indeed I had to upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1 to be able to select Atmos on my Denon for decoding.

What I didn't understood so far about Atmos:
Does Atmos use the very same 5.1 signal and just uses Atmos for the "effects" speakers?
Means the all the 5.1 gets the complete same sound, but all speakers exceeding 5.1 are supplied with calculated sound of positioned objects?

I just can't understand how the backwards compatibility should work, without having double the information in the soundtrack (one time with objects, one time with channels).
trumpet205

Post by trumpet205 »

Atmos is just additional metadata that is along with either TrueHD or DD+. Same thing with DTS:X (although I'm not sure how DTS Headphone X works).

You do need a receiver that supports Atmos, otherwise all the receiver sees is just TrueHD or DD+. As long as the player can bitstream TrueHD you should be able to make use of Atmos.
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

As stated above, it's just metadata. The same as HDR. Your receiver must support decoding it, or it will simply skip the metadata and play the TrueHD/DTS-HD MA stream.