Key Expired Early?

Everything related to MakeMKV
ember1205

Key Expired Early?

Post by ember1205 »

Started in on ripping a new series of movies tonight. The first two went fine, and the third one was rejected because the key had expired.

I'm using the currently posted key good through end of July '17, Ubuntu 16.04, makemkv 1.10.6

Anyone have any solutions? I've verified that the time/date on the machine is accurate, too.
king_pin

Re: Key Expired Early?

Post by king_pin »

:(

I'm in the same boat. Everything was fine up until 20 minutes ago.
ember1205

Post by ember1205 »

I've noticed that the web site is often not responding to the browser, too. I wonder if maybe it's somehow related?
TalkSmall

Post by TalkSmall »

Same issue for me as well.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It has been normal for the key to expire 4 or 5 days before the "end of the month". Mike needs a better date calculator for when he sets the expiration date.

HOWEVER, until the new key is posted here, you can run MakeMKV by:

Set your system DATE to a day or two before the expiration (don't change the time). In this case, 28 July should work.
Start MakeMKV.
Reset your system date to the current day.

MakeMKV only checks for expiration at start-up, so it will run until you exit.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

Purchasing a license key will eliminate the problem. Other than that, Woodstock has the solution.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
ember1205

Post by ember1205 »

Woodstock wrote:It has been normal for the key to expire 4 or 5 days before the "end of the month". Mike needs a better date calculator for when he sets the expiration date.

HOWEVER, until the new key is posted here, you can run MakeMKV by:

Set your system DATE to a day or two before the expiration (don't change the time). In this case, 28 July should work.
Start MakeMKV.
Reset your system date to the current day.

MakeMKV only checks for expiration at start-up, so it will run until you exit.
Good to know. I will have to see if this will work for me as I don't use MakeMKV, I use makemkvcon which is launched from a script for each disc that is inserted.
king_pin

Post by king_pin »

TheTerrorBeyond wrote:Purchasing a license key will eliminate the problem. Other than that, Woodstock has the solution.
I think that's fair. For how much I've used it(thousand's of 1:1 copies for my NAS) it's been invaluable. cheers!
ember1205

Post by ember1205 »

Doesn't work because the system keeps immediately resetting the system date. I'm sure it's using an NTP daemon, but I'm not interested in learning yet another nuance of Ubuntu since it isn't my primary distro (I used it soleley to rip my movies).
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

ember1205 wrote:Doesn't work because the system keeps immediately resetting the system date. I'm sure it's using an NTP daemon, but I'm not interested in learning yet another nuance of Ubuntu since it isn't my primary distro (I used it soleley to rip my movies).
Try this:

sudo date --set "25 Jul 2017 15:00:00"
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
ember1205

Post by ember1205 »

TheTerrorBeyond wrote:
ember1205 wrote:Doesn't work because the system keeps immediately resetting the system date. I'm sure it's using an NTP daemon, but I'm not interested in learning yet another nuance of Ubuntu since it isn't my primary distro (I used it soleley to rip my movies).
Try this:

sudo date --set "25 Jul 2017 15:00:00"
If you read my post again, you'll see that the issue not with my being able to CHANGE the date, it's that the system sets it back right away. I don't like Ubuntu, but that's what I have to work with because it's a complex build that I haven't opted to tear down and build on openSUSE instead. So, I'm not going to be going about looking for how to manage this aspect of Ubuntu because a new key will be posted before I get to the point where I have this corrected and can take advantage of it.

Additionally, I use the CLI version of the product and I don't have the opportunity to leave the date offset or it will interfere with timestamps on the files that are ripped causing further issues.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, using the CLI would put a kink in things...

Someone just posted about possibly finding a newer version of AACS "in the wild", so maybe that will prompt Mike to remember to make an update to the key...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Key has been updated through September 2017...