UHD support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mike admin

UHD support

Post by mike admin »

Starting from version 1.10.8 MakeMKV supports UHD discs. Everything except the decryption should work. Specifically:
  • HEVC codec is supported
  • AACS version is correctly displayed
  • Non-decrypted backup should now work (previously MakeMKV produced correct backups but incorrectly printed hashcheck errors).
Because MakeMKV contains no AACS2.0 keys, protected discs will fail to open. MakeMKV will save yet another dump in this case, called "AACS dump". Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .

Just a reminder - the AACS2.0 decryption process for M2TS files is the same as in regular AACS, so if you happen to know volume key for particular disc, MakeMKV (as any other libaacs-based application) would be able to open the original disc directly. Please see https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12 on how to provide volume keys to MakeMKV. As of time of this writing, no volume keys for UHD discs were ever released publicly.
Chetwood

Re: UHD support

Post by Chetwood »

I personally won't make the jump to UHD anytime soon but that's good to hear. Great job, Mike.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

mike admin wrote:Starting from version 1.10.8 MakeMKV supports UHD discs. Everything except the decryption should work. Specifically:
  • Non-decrypted backup should now work (previously MakeMKV produced correct backups but incorrectly printed hashcheck errors).
Because MakeMKV contains no AACS2.0 keys, protected discs will fail to open. MakeMKV will save yet another dump in this case, called "AACS dump". Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .

Just a reminder - the AACS2.0 decryption process for M2TS files is the same as in regular AACS, so if you happen to know volume key for particular disc, MakeMKV (as any other libaacs-based application) would be able to open the original disc directly. Please see https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12 on how to provide volume keys to MakeMKV. As of time of this writing, no volume keys for UHD discs were ever released publicly.
Great news!
Does that mean that you will be able to crack any UHD disc?
And if I understand right, we need to send you the AACS dump first.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

Awesome Mike! Thanks a lot!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

dasefx wrote:
mike admin wrote:Starting from version 1.10.8 MakeMKV supports UHD discs. Everything except the decryption should work. Specifically:

Great news!
No. It means if there are known keys MakeMKV can use them, but, it does not discern the keys for you. Meaning it does not have a built in way of defeating the UHD AACS 2.0 encryption on its own.
dasefx

Post by dasefx »

SamuriHL wrote:
dasefx wrote:

Great news!
No. It means if there are known keys MakeMKV can use them, but, it does not discern the keys for you. Meaning it does not have a built in way of defeating the UHD AACS 2.0 encryption on its own.
Then why is he asking us to send the dumps of unprotected discs.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

dasefx wrote:
SamuriHL wrote: No. It means if there are known keys MakeMKV can use them, but, it does not discern the keys for you. Meaning it does not have a built in way of defeating the UHD AACS 2.0 encryption on its own.
Then why is he asking us to send the dumps of unprotected discs.
Because he MIGHT be able to use the dumps to generate the keys...if not now, then at some point. That part is not clear yet. What I'm saying is that as it stands, MakeMKV does not have the ability to decrypt UHD discs without some external method for getting the title key. And it may very well be that Mike can take the dumps that are being generated and discern the keys somehow. I don't know on that point.
nilsman

Post by nilsman »

This great news. Will send a few dumps, let me know if you need more.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

That's great news Mike! I've sent through dumps from all of my UHD blu-rays. Hope they help.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but they are all from Australia and I use a LG BH16NS55 Blu-ray Writer.

Thanks,
Marty
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

I can confirm that using the volume keys available at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296, MakeMKV is able to directly decrypt the data on UHD discs, without the assistance of any other software. I'm using the LG WH16NS40 SVC 50 drive.
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

ccutrer wrote:I can confirm that using the volume keys available at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296, MakeMKV is able to directly decrypt the data on UHD discs, without the assistance of any other software. I'm using the LG WH16NS40 SVC 50 drive.
but this only works with "UHD Friendly" drives, not UHD certified drives - at least as we're reporting on myce.com

but still cool.

wonder how these keys are being "discovered"
burnett

Post by burnett »

Hi. Iam new here and i read the good News. So i have over 80 UHD´s here and i will make all of These in makemkv and will send you the dumps. If ist possible i pack the Dumps in one rar File and send you These files in E-Mail Attachement. If the files are too Big i give you a Sahre Online link to download the File.

Thanks a lot for your Great work.
roblrobl

Post by roblrobl »

Great work, Mike! Per others, I picked up an ASUS BW-16D1HT ($78 on amazon + some note about a rebate yesterday), got a copy of keydb.cfg from the web, put it into the .makemkv data directory, and I'm now able to do backups of uhd/4k disks. Awesome!

If you're trying this and get stuck, go to https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296 and add those additional keys to your keydb.cfg file. (or create a new one in the .makemkv folder)

One suggestion - MakeMkv gave me the error "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted" when I hadn't gotten the additional keys. I enabled logging, but couldn't see what the disc volume key was. If you can report it as part of the error or show it somewhere, we can then validate it in our keys files to be sure it's not user error. (or to have a great keyword for google searches :)

Does anyone have tips on hdr10, dolby vision, atmos? I'm hopeful a backup would get everything and then it's up to another program to decipher.

I'm using plex for our home theater, with hdr10/dolby vision + dolby atmos for sound. Does anyone have tips on how to make this work properly? Before I'd used handbrake as an intermediary, but searching online implies that drops processing down to 8-bit 4:2:0 or something lower that would remove the quality.
KayakNate

Post by KayakNate »

ccutrer wrote:I can confirm that using the volume keys available at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296, MakeMKV is able to directly decrypt the data on UHD discs, without the assistance of any other software. I'm using the LG WH16NS40 SVC 50 drive.
How do you integrate those keys into MakeMKV?
preserve

Post by preserve »

KayakNate wrote:How do you integrate those keys into MakeMKV?
Create a keydb.cfg file in your MakeMKV data directory: http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/12
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00