MMKV, Dolby Atmos and Plex

Everything related to MakeMKV
glassetcher

MMKV, Dolby Atmos and Plex

Post by glassetcher »

So I have a Blu-ray Disc with Dolby Atmos I watched on a Samsung BD-J7500 passed thru to a Denon 4300H AVR. The Denon showed Dolby Atmos as the audio format without a problem. I then copied the blu-ray with MakeMKV onto an external hard drive. Then, I tried viewing the movie via Plex on the J7500 directed thru the 4300H. However, the audio format shown on the 4300H was not Dolby Atmos, but Dolby Digital + (LogoS) (the DD logo plus an S) That format is described in the 4300H manual as Dolby Digital+ with Dolby Surround, not Dolby Atmos. So I'm wondering what happened to the Atmos format. Is it being lost in the MakeMKV copy, the PLEX playback thru the J7600, or the 4300H interpretation? Any thoughts?
ImCoKeMaN

Re: MMKV, Dolby Atmos and Plex

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

Most likely it's plex, you may want to check if it's doing "Direct Play" or if it's transcoding. You can check the info overlay on the device, or from the server look at the now playing to see. I'd take a look on the plex forum to see if others have Atmos working, I don't have a receiver that supports it yet to tell ya much more, but that's the direction I'd look.
glassetcher

Post by glassetcher »

ImCoKeMaN wrote:Most likely it's plex, you may want to check if it's doing "Direct Play" or if it's transcoding. You can check the info overlay on the device, or from the server look at the now playing to see. I'd take a look on the plex forum to see if others have Atmos working, I don't have a receiver that supports it yet to tell ya much more, but that's the direction I'd look.
Just tried changing the PLEX settings to direct play, streaming, transcoding....no change. I'll go to the PLEX site and try there. Is there any question about MMKV copying the DA capability?
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

No issues with MakeMKV and Atmos; I've three movies with Atmos that I've converted to .mkv files, MediaInfo verified Atmos.
glassetcher

Post by glassetcher »

yorgo wrote:No issues with MakeMKV and Atmos; I've three movies with Atmos that I've converted to .mkv files, MediaInfo verified Atmos.
Were there any special settings to do Atmos, or just the standard duplication?
T'hain Esh Kelch

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

Does the J7500 Plex client support Atmos?
glassetcher

Post by glassetcher »

T'hain Esh Kelch wrote:Does the J7500 Plex client support Atmos?
How would I know that? I know the J7500 passes Atmos because it does when I play an Atmos Blu-ray.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

glassetcher wrote:
yorgo wrote:No issues with MakeMKV and Atmos; I've three movies with Atmos that I've converted to .mkv files, MediaInfo verified Atmos.
Were there any special settings to do Atmos, or just the standard duplication?
No special settings, just make sure you're including the Dolby TrueHD audio track.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

glassetcher wrote:
T'hain Esh Kelch wrote:Does the J7500 Plex client support Atmos?
How would I know that? I know the J7500 passes Atmos because it does when I play an Atmos Blu-ray.
That may be, but it may not support Atmos or other hi-resolution audio from an .mkv file. Don't use Plex or any streaming service built into a TV.
Also, does Plex list audio tracks available such as the TrueHD audio track? Can you select it?
T'hain Esh Kelch

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

glassetcher wrote: How would I know that?
It is your Blu-ray player, not ours. Check your manual to see if it is supported in matroska files.
archer75

Post by archer75 »

I have zero issues with atmos playing on my rips with plex. I'm using the Nvidia Shield primarily but sometimes i'll play the file via my Oppo 203. Nothing special in terms of ripping needs to be done.
glassetcher

Post by glassetcher »

OK, so here's the latest. I didn't realize there was a box to check to include 7.1 Dolby when ripping. Found that and checked it as well as the 5.1 option. Ripped movie showed the same audio indication as I mentioned at the beginning. So, then I checked only the 7.1 option. This time the Denon display on the AVR showed the same, but at the same time the GUI on the TV screen included the word Atmos. The ceiling speakers are definitely operational, but am I really getting Atmos or not? Don't know how to determine that. Anyway, sounds pretty good so I guess I'll let it go at that and enjoy......
glassetcher

Post by glassetcher »

archer75 wrote:I have zero issues with atmos playing on my rips with plex. I'm using the Nvidia Shield primarily but sometimes i'll play the file via my Oppo 203. Nothing special in terms of ripping needs to be done.
My understanding is the Oppo 203 doesn't have any smart apps on it. How are you playing Plex files through the Oppo?
archer75

Post by archer75 »

glassetcher wrote:
archer75 wrote:I have zero issues with atmos playing on my rips with plex. I'm using the Nvidia Shield primarily but sometimes i'll play the file via my Oppo 203. Nothing special in terms of ripping needs to be done.
My understanding is the Oppo 203 doesn't have any smart apps on it. How are you playing Plex files through the Oppo?
It has a network browser. And it sees plex shares.
archer75

Post by archer75 »

glassetcher wrote:OK, so here's the latest. I didn't realize there was a box to check to include 7.1 Dolby when ripping. Found that and checked it as well as the 5.1 option. Ripped movie showed the same audio indication as I mentioned at the beginning. So, then I checked only the 7.1 option. This time the Denon display on the AVR showed the same, but at the same time the GUI on the TV screen included the word Atmos. The ceiling speakers are definitely operational, but am I really getting Atmos or not? Don't know how to determine that. Anyway, sounds pretty good so I guess I'll let it go at that and enjoy......
Your receiver should display atmos.

I only rip the HD audio track. No other audio.