LG bh10ls38 (probable) riplock isssues

Everything related to MakeMKV
PongyPenguin

LG bh10ls38 (probable) riplock isssues

Post by PongyPenguin »

Hi all!

First time on this forum, so be nice.

I'm trying to run MakeMKV to rip my Blu-rays but my rip speed is capped at 2x - since my collection is quite large, it's pretty unpractical to rip at that speed.

I presume this is a riplock issue. I applied modded firmware onto a 1.03 driver using MediaCodeSpeedEdit, though it didn't appear to do anything.

Thanks for your help in advance. I am willing to provide further details if you want.
Woodstock

Re: LG bh10ls38 (probable) riplock isssues

Post by Woodstock »

The effect is like riplock, but not - it's "Silent Play", something LG and others do to make less noise for home theater PCs. If you're running Windows, the disk that (should have) came with the drive should have a utility on it to turn it off and allow full speed. Otherwise, you can download it from LG's support site. lg.com, support, software & drivers.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
PongyPenguin

Post by PongyPenguin »

Woodstock wrote:The effect is like riplock, but not - it's "Silent Play", something LG and others do to make less noise for home theater PCs. If you're running Windows, the disk that (should have) came with the drive should have a utility on it to turn it off and allow full speed. Otherwise, you can download it from LG's support site. lg.com, support, software & drivers.
Thanks for the reply.

I just looked at their website and there doesn't seem to be anything other than firmware. I've lost the driver disc. I guess I could ask LG to send me a new one / the software (while being vague about my reasons) :wink: .

Any way to manually turn this off?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Google comes up with a number of things. This one from auaccs.com is from 2011:
How to Disable Silent Play on an LG DVD

Although you can manually adjust the write speed (the speed at which a disc burner copies data to a CD or DVD) on most CD and DVD burner drives, few let you adjust the read speed. The Silent Play mode on an LG DVD drive does just that -- instead of automatically selecting the read speed as normal, Silent Play lets you manually adjust it. You can turn off Silent Play on your LG DVD drive using Windows Explorer

Instructions

1 Click "Start."
2 Click "Computer."
3 Right-click the icon for your LG DVD drive. Click "Properties."
4 Click the "Hardware" tab.
5 Click the "Properties" button.
6 Check the "Disabled" box in the "Silent Play" section of the window on the screen. Click "Apply."

The Silent Play functionality for your LG DVD drive is now off.
I can't verify how well this works, because my LG drives are older than "Silent Play", so they don't have the setting.
PongyPenguin

Post by PongyPenguin »

Yeah, I looked at that - no joy as I am running Windows 10.

I've also attempted running Ubuntu as an alternative - same problem. (Which wasn't my smartest move as I am now having dual boot issues, but that's another story.)

I'm not sure if there is a solution to the issue, as control of this "feature" is reliant on a driver disc that is not compatible with Windows 10, nor which I have or is one that LG is willing to supply. So I might be stuck. If there is some kind of registry fix/hack/other method I haven't found one on Google.
ImCoKeMaN

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

"device manager" should let you click the drive and get to its properties like the win 7 path listed above. push start, and type the name it will search and find that, then click and find your drive.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There might also be the issue of whether or not you are logged in as an administrator - Windows Vista and later have gotten progressively tighter about what access they will allow to hardware. There's even settings that will prevent you from using optical drives while logged in remotely.