UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
PauleFoul

Re: UHD drives

Post by PauleFoul »

Hello,

i try to read UHD Disk with MakeMKV Version V1.10.08 but it don´t work (no disk insert)

Laufwerksinformation
OS-Gerätename: F:
Produzent: HL-DT-ST
Produkt: BD-RE BH16NS40
Revision: 1.03
Firmware-Datum: 2114-03-26 11:15:
Markierungen der Bus-Verschlüsselung: 17
Highest AACS version: 63
BH16NS40 (Small).jpg
BH16NS40 (Small).jpg (75.44 KiB) Viewed 27642 times
Is it possible with this Version ( SW and HW ) to get it work?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

PauleFoul, neither of us has the NS50 version of the drive, so I think we are out of luck on that. I hate it when manufacturers use the same model number for incompatible versions of the hardware. :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
PauleFoul

Post by PauleFoul »

Woodstock wrote:PauleFoul, neither of us has the NS50 version of the drive, so I think we are out of luck on that. I hate it when manufacturers use the same model number for incompatible versions of the hardware. :roll:
Means it is important for these both models

- LG WH16NS40
- LG BH16NS40

to have the NS50 Version?

And what is with the Asus BW-16D1HT? Also has such HW Versions or is there only the Firmware-Version important?
preserve

Post by preserve »

I think at least 3 members purchased the ASUS BW-16D1HT so far (including myself) and it seems to be a great choice.

I didn't even install any drivers other than Windows recognizing it as a drive (the machine I use isn't connected to the internet), I simply plugged it in and the latest MakeMKV recognized it.

The manufacture date of the drive I got was December 2016.

My ASUS BW-16D1HT drive also has the following code written on it: KCC-REM-LGE-DMBH16NS40

Strange!
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
andcbii

Post by andcbii »

I have 2 WH16NS40s both are on firmware ver. 1.02. Neither of them will read a UHD disk :( . Windows will not recognize the discs, I put a disk in and windows tells me nothing is in the drive. What firmware version are others on? It's possible i upgraded from 1.01 and broke something. I don't remember.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

With the LG drives, it is apparently VERY important that it have the "SVC code: NS50" mark on the label. If it isn't there, the drive won't read BDXL.

With the ASUS drives, the USB version doesn't do BDXL, but the internal ones do. I was going to disassemble the USB housing to see if the drive was the same as the internal, and the problem was JUST with the USB interface, but I elected to make it into a Christmas present instead, so someone with no interest in UHD.

I've got one of each on order right now. Amazon expects to be able to ship the ASUS "real soon now".
tyeeman

Post by tyeeman »

Woodstock wrote: With the ASUS drives, the USB version doesn't do BDXL, but the internal ones do.
Does that mean I can take the internal version (ASUS BW-16D1HT drive) and put it in an external enclosure and have it work? Maybe or maybe not most likely.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That I cannot answer - I would have to open the case to see if it contains a BDXL-compatible drive, or if ASUS just used a "regular" BD drive. Or, when my shiny new ASUS drive arrives, try attaching it to a SATA->USB adapter, and see if that kills its ability to read BDXL disks.
onewhorips

Post by onewhorips »

Has anyone had any luck using the Pioneer BD-RW BDR-211M to rip protected uhd content?

I can explore the content of the discs fine, but makemkv gives me errors when I try to rip one even when I give makemkv the key. I need some help.
preserve

Post by preserve »

onewhorips wrote:I can explore the content of the discs fine, but makemkv gives me errors when I try to rip one even when I give makemkv the key. I need some help.
If you post the errors, it's much more likely that someone can help you. For example, you might have a bad disc.
onewhorips

Post by onewhorips »

preserve wrote:
onewhorips wrote:I can explore the content of the discs fine, but makemkv gives me errors when I try to rip one even when I give makemkv the key. I need some help.
If you post the errors, it's much more likely that someone can help you. For example, you might have a bad disc.
Hmmm... I can open the disc just fine on the xbox one s no problem.

I have the keydb.cfg in the \.MakeMKV directory and I have the data dir set to \.MakeMKV\KEYDB.cfg. It this how it should be?
preserve

Post by preserve »

onewhorips wrote:I have the keydb.cfg in the \.MakeMKV directory and I have the data dir set to \.MakeMKV\KEYDB.cfg. It this how it should be?
The data directory is just the directory, not the file.

If you can explore the content of the discs (I'm presuming you mean that you're exploring them with MakeMKV), then you've already successfully gotten past the decryption stage. MakeMKV will not open a disc that it can't decrypt.

Again - if you post the errors that you're seeing while trying to rip, it's much more likely that we can help you.
onewhorips

Post by onewhorips »

preserve wrote:
onewhorips wrote:I have the keydb.cfg in the \.MakeMKV directory and I have the data dir set to \.MakeMKV\KEYDB.cfg. It this how it should be?
The data directory is just the directory, not the file.

If you can explore the content of the discs (I'm presuming you mean that you're exploring them with MakeMKV), then you've already successfully gotten past the decryption stage. MakeMKV will not open a disc that it can't decrypt.

Again - if you post the errors that you're seeing while trying to rip, it's much more likely that we can help you.
Let me rephrase... I can see the individual files in file explorer, but I have not gotten the decryption process to work. I changed the data directory to \.MakeMKV. It still doesn't decrypt though.

Code: Select all

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
This is the error code I get.

I guess I have something wrong with the KEYDB.cfg file, but I'm not sure whats wrong with it.
preserve

Post by preserve »

onewhorips wrote:
preserve wrote:Let me rephrase... I can see the individual files in file explorer, but I have not gotten the decryption process to work. I changed the data directory to \.MakeMKV. It still doesn't decrypt though.

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..0FF to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
This is the error code I get. I guess I have something wrong with the KEYDB.cfg file, but I'm not sure whats wrong with it.
That is a strange error - MakeMKV has nothing to do with writing to the drive.

I trust that you're using MakeMKV v1.10.8.

If you've downloaded the latest KEYDB.cfg from the Doom9 thread and then simply appended the additional posted keys to the end of the file, then your KEYDB.cfg should be fine.

Assuming your KEYDB.cfg file is okay, my guess would be that even if there are keys listed for the discs you have, there are multiple disc masters out there for each movie (different regions, different retailers, rental discs, etc), and the known keys may not apply to your particular disc.

Does MakeMKV tell you that it's produced AACS dump files when you try to open the discs? That means that a volume key isn't yet known for those discs.
- If so, please send the dumps to svq@makemkv.com
- If not, please post the entire log here so we can fully see what's happening, or send it to support@makemkv.com
onewhorips

Post by onewhorips »

preserve wrote:
onewhorips wrote:
preserve wrote:Let me rephrase... I can see the individual files in file explorer, but I have not gotten the decryption process to work. I changed the data directory to \.MakeMKV. It still doesn't decrypt though.

This is the error code I get. I guess I have something wrong with the KEYDB.cfg file, but I'm not sure whats wrong with it.
That is a strange error - MakeMKV has nothing to do with writing to the drive.

I trust that you're using MakeMKV v1.10.8.

If you've downloaded the latest KEYDB.cfg from the Doom9 thread and then simply appended the additional posted keys to the end of the file, then your KEYDB.cfg should be fine.

Assuming your KEYDB.cfg file is okay, my guess would be that even if there are keys listed for the discs you have, there are multiple disc masters out there for each movie (different regions, different retailers, rental discs, etc), and the known keys may not apply to your particular disc.

Does MakeMKV tell you that it's produced AACS dump files when you try to open the discs? That means that a volume key isn't yet known for those discs.
- If so, please send the dumps to svq@makemkv.com
- If not, please post the entire log here so we can fully see what's happening, or send it to support@makemkv.com
Ok. The first thing I did was download the keydb from Doom9, and verified that I am running v1.10.8. I copied the keybd file and pasted in in the data directory for MakeMKV. I copied and pasted the keys from Doom9 to the end of the .cfg file. I saved the file and restarted MakeMKV.

I tried to decrypt The Revenant, and all UHD movies in my collection, and they all failed saying a similar thing. Here is the pastebin for the log. And here is the pastebin for the keydb I constructed that did not seem to work.