A little confused

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
starmax

Re: A little confused

Post by starmax »

ghost rider wrote:Another complication my Sony ubpx800 UHD player says unsupported audio. I was clicking different files from the stream folder from a rip and it did play a TrueHD file just not from MKV.
Yeah, unfortunately a lot of devices don't support the same codecs when they are playing from a Disc versus when they are streaming a movie. If you are ever in the market for a new streamer, the Nvidia Shield is hard to beat.
preserve

Post by preserve »

ghost rider wrote:Does it make sense to rip to an ISO or just work off the disc?
If your end goal is an MKV file, ripping to an ISO would just be an extra step in my opinion.

I believe that some people store ISOs but I don't understand why - maybe it makes sense for their setup? Would be curious to know more if that's the case.

I very much like the archival aspect of an ISO but in this case, I need the practicality aspect.

For myself, I haven't gone to an NAS yet (although I badly need to) and I play off my PC or my laptop, so I want an immediately-playable file - that's an MKV - and I don't know anything about playing ISOs. I want the main movie as well as special features, and don't need everything on the disc - such as non-related trailers, some discs have a ton of foreign title cards for copyrights, etc - so there's a small space savings as well.

The one benefit of an ISO - that I'd like to know a good method to play an ISO from a PC - would be branching discs that have multiple cuts of a movie, usually 2 cuts but sometimes 3.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

starmax wrote:
ghost rider wrote:Another complication my Sony ubpx800 UHD player says unsupported audio. I was clicking different files from the stream folder from a rip and it did play a TrueHD file just not from MKV.
Yeah, unfortunately a lot of devices don't support the same codecs when they are playing from a Disc versus when they are streaming a movie. If you are ever in the market for a new streamer, the Nvidia Shield is hard to beat.
Looks very tempting my guess is that it will work but out of the 10 UHD movies I have I can decode 4. So being that I don't stream anything or have workable network set up I probably need to just be patient and in time this will work it way out.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

How does the option to change the size of the minimum file size to skip work? Not really understanding the purpose I lowered it to 1 second. I'm doing movie only backups so this may not even be an issue.
cmdrdredd

Post by cmdrdredd »

ghost rider wrote:
starmax wrote:
Looks very tempting my guess is that it will work but out of the 10 UHD movies I have I can decode 4. So being that I don't stream anything or have workable network set up I probably need to just be patient and in time this will work it way out.
The Nvidia Shield has a USB port, you could plug a USB HDD into it and use Kodi to play the files that way if you wanted. It will play everything with full lossless audio.
preserve

Post by preserve »

ghost rider wrote:How does the option to change the size of the minimum file size to skip work? Not really understanding the purpose I lowered it to 1 second. I'm doing movie only backups so this may not even be an issue.
It affects which titles will be shown in the list of titles for selection when you open a disc.

So if you set it for 1 second, chances are you're going to get lots of titles to sort through such as copyright notices, studio logos, trailers, etc.

If you set it for 120 seconds, you'll probably eliminate a lot of titles you might not be interested in from the list, but you might also risk eliminating any short special features that are under 2 minutes.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

ghost rider wrote:How does the option to change the size of the minimum file size to skip work? Not really understanding the purpose I lowered it to 1 second. I'm doing movie only backups so this may not even be an issue.
It allows you to filter out trailers/extras/etc. from the title list. 20 min (1200) will catch most, but everyone has their own requirements so it's configurable.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Thanks guys that makes more sense. So like I said I'm just selecting the movie and the two audio tracks at this point so I can raise it back up. Are there ever UHD movies that have multiple video tracks making up the main feature? So far it looks like makemkv presorts all the files and you have one or two files, the theatrical and director's releases. I'm not interested in the other stuff.

I'm going to get a Nvidia shield just waiting for a sale. I'm guessing it can also be set to 1080p till I break down and get a set.
preserve

Post by preserve »

It's early days for UHDs but it will be the same as Blu-rays.

MakeMKV detects both .mpls (playlists) and the .m2ts videos that playlists are made of, and depending on your settings and on MakeMKV's duplicate detection, it shows both in its list of titles for ripping.

Sometimes a movie will be made out of just one .m2ts file and in that case, the movie playlist that you rip will refer to that one file. (In this case you still want to rip the playlist instead of the individual .m2ts, which can sometimes appear in the list of titles. The playlist has chapter breaks - the .m2ts doesn't.)

Sometimes a movie will be made out of multiple segments and the movie playlist will define the playback order of those segments - for branching purposes (multiple versions of a movie on one disc such as theatrical and extended cuts) or for playlist obfuscation or for having different language versions (which is what Disney often does - playlist 800 will be the primary English playlist).

In both cases, you don't have to worry about this because in general, you're going to spot the playlist or playlists with the largest file size or the longest running time and those will be the titles that you want to rip. Playlists show up first in the list, individual .m2ts files show up after the playlists.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

So just to be clear this is a screenshot of how I have backed up the 6 movies I have done I watch just a short time as I prefer the full audio. You can't see that no other files are checked there might have been 50 or more.

Back to the Nvidia shield looking at it the $299 pro version looks like it might be more what I need. 500g storage, extra USB port, IR receiver (might be a requirement having all my gear in another room or can it be controlled by an app?) SD card slot. My Oppo BDP 105D I currently use as a makeshift server it only likes 4 HDD any more it hiccups here and there. With a USB 3.0 spliter this could control everything.
Attachments
makemkv setup.png
makemkv setup.png (93.46 KiB) Viewed 19576 times
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Got my Nvidea shield today and another huge learning curve. Not sure how to make DTSX and Atmos work. I installed Kodi and played MKV files but the SS processor decoded it as multi-in. Did not compare the video but my 1st impression is it was not as good as the disc.

I know I'm getting old now! I love how new technology devices come with no usable instructions. I'm a manual guy, this came with one I think a booklet 2 inch by 4 inch with so small print in multiple languages I couldn't see with a magnifying glass. You learn by pushing buttons till something happens.

Aside from that it looks pretty cool not sure if I really need it and or want a streamer. If I can't get the audio right I'm returning it.
preserve

Post by preserve »

With both the 7.1 and the nested 5.1 core selected, you will get two separate full audio tracks in the MKV - a 7.1 track and a 5.1 track.

To get the "full audio" you don't need the core selected unless you want a lesser quality and/or fewer channel track as a second option taking up the full space of that track in your rip.

All that unnecessary extra core audio will start to add up after a while - a mistake (for my own requirements) that I made when I was first ripping.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

preserve wrote:With both the 7.1 and the nested 5.1 core selected, you will get two separate full audio tracks in the MKV - a 7.1 track and a 5.1 track.

To get the "full audio" you don't need the core selected unless you want a lesser quality and/or fewer channel track as a second option taking up the full space of that track in your rip.

All that unnecessary extra core audio will start to add up after a while - a mistake (for my own requirements) that I made when I was first ripping.
So I need to rerip and select no audio? I can switch between the two and goes from 5.1 to 7.1 but the amp stays on multi-in. I have the shield set to audio pass-thru.
I joined the Nvidia forum to get help so far no response. I read a post where a user said it looked great on 4k set but all of his 1080p sets look washed out. That is exactly how it looks on mine. Looks like I should have gotten a Oppo udp 203
preserve

Post by preserve »

ghost rider wrote:So I need to rerip and select no audio?
No, I'm just letting you know that if you don't need two audio tracks, anytime there's a nested core, you don't have to have the nested core selected.
but all of his 1080p sets look washed out. That is exactly how it looks on mine.
Yup, because 1080p sets aren't HDR. You need either playback software or playback hardware that will tone map the HDR to SDR.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

c[/quote]Yup, because 1080p sets aren't HDR. You need either playback software or playback hardware that will tone map the HDR to SDR.[/quote]
So the Shield is no good for my situation?