Any luck with Dolby Vision titles?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Metallikahn

Any luck with Dolby Vision titles?

Post by Metallikahn »

With latest Updates I've been able to rip quite a few of my UHD's, a number of which are Dolby Vision titles. I'm just ripping out the main Audio/Video/Subtitle tracks to an MKV file and so far everything is working great on playback except for Dolby Vision. When I try to play a Dolby Vision title on my Oppo 203 it just plays in HDR. (not that that is bad or anything... So far I mostly prefer HDR to DV on most of the movies I've seen it on so far.)

Has anyone else ripped a DV title and been able to get their TV to trip the DV flag on playback? I'm just wondering if MakeMKV is seeing the DV meta data and properly ripping it or not.

Also curious about DTS-X. Atmos is usually listed under the TrueHD track details, but I haven't seen any listing for DTS-X on the discs that have it. (I also don't have a receiver to capable of atmos/dts-x either, so I can't test to see if it is working or not).
Rantlers

Re: Any luck with Dolby Vision titles?

Post by Rantlers »

Hi, from what I have gathered it seems the mkv container does not support Dolby Vision as of yet:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1821281

List of movies with Dolby Vision:

http://www.nextgenhometheater.com/dolby ... ay-movies/
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

Badnews

Post by Badnews »

Metallikahn wrote:With latest Updates I've been able to rip quite a few of my UHD's, a number of which are Dolby Vision titles. I'm just ripping out the main Audio/Video/Subtitle tracks to an MKV file and so far everything is working great on playback except for Dolby Vision. When I try to play a Dolby Vision title on my Oppo 203 it just plays in HDR. (not that that is bad or anything... So far I mostly prefer HDR to DV on most of the movies I've seen it on so far.)

Has anyone else ripped a DV title and been able to get their TV to trip the DV flag on playback? I'm just wondering if MakeMKV is seeing the DV meta data and properly ripping it or not.

Also curious about DTS-X. Atmos is usually listed under the TrueHD track details, but I haven't seen any listing for DTS-X on the discs that have it. (I also don't have a receiver to capable of atmos/dts-x either, so I can't test to see if it is working or not).

Why are you making a MKV for use with a Oppo 203/205?... You can use MakeMKV to make a folder then run that folder in your case from the USB 3.0 port on the back of the Oppo 203 and you'll have everything. You'll have to change the FLAG in the folder to AVCHD which takes 1 second. Leave the dir structure alone in the folder. No need to add a AVCHD dir just change the flag

Using a MKV with a Oppo 203 is fantastic the other benefit of a MKV and a Oppo 203/205 is that it doesn't detect Cinavia in MKV format. Yes UHD a few have Cinavia. Of course it can be removed from the sound track but your down grading to DD51. And most will butcher the sound track. So the easy way around it is MKV. But i'm folder only and I have both 203 and 205.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Badnews wrote:
Metallikahn wrote:With latest Updates I've been able to rip quite a few of my UHD's, a number of which are Dolby Vision titles. I'm just ripping out the main Audio/Video/Subtitle tracks to an MKV file and so far everything is working great on playback except for Dolby Vision. When I try to play a Dolby Vision title on my Oppo 203 it just plays in HDR. (not that that is bad or anything... So far I mostly prefer HDR to DV on most of the movies I've seen it on so far.)

Why are you making a MKV for use with a Oppo 203/205?... You can use MakeMKV to make a folder then run that folder in your case from the USB 3.0 port on the back of the Oppo 203 and you'll have everything. You'll have to change the FLAG in the folder to AVCHD which takes 1 second. Leave the dir structure alone in the folder. No need to add a AVCHD dir just change the flag

Using a MKV with a Oppo 203 is fantastic the other benefit of a MKV and a Oppo 203/205 is that it doesn't detect Cinavia in MKV format. Yes UHD a few have Cinavia. Of course it can be removed from the sound track but your down grading to DD51. And most will butcher the sound track. So the easy way around it is MKV. But i'm folder only and I have both 203 and 205.
This may be a little off topic but I am new to Makemkv and UHD. I have a Oppo 105D I use for 1080P playback files. I bought a Sony ubp-x800 to play the UHD discs and files and it won't decode the DTSX Atmos audio from a MKV file.

I have 2 options return the Sony and get a Oppo 203 or the cheaper option is save the UHD backups as MTS2 files and see if they play correctly.

If I get the 203 will the app work on both? Can I access both from it at the same time?
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

Meister_Proper wrote:Did you try to search?

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16726
I didn't see any topics/info on the UHD designated board about Dolby Vision (a pretty much UHD specific features) so it didn't really cross my mind to go looking elsewhere for it. Honest mistake on my part, but thanks for pointing out the search function like a true Internet Hero! Here's your medal...

Badnews wrote: Why are you making a MKV for use with a Oppo 203/205?... You can use MakeMKV to make a folder then run that folder in your case from the USB 3.0 port on the back of the Oppo 203 and you'll have everything. You'll have to change the FLAG in the folder to AVCHD which takes 1 second. Leave the dir structure alone in the folder. No need to add a AVCHD dir just change the flag

"Why wouldn't I?" is the better question. I don't make them specifically for the 203, I rip them to a 20TB server so I can use them on ANY device. Never understood the fascination with full disc backups. Then again, I don't care about special features or directors commentaries or bd+ or any of that extra crap. I just want the movie in its highest possible bitrate and the lossless audio track.

I manage my collection with Emby. I can browse my entire library on my ipad (similar to Netflix) and then, upon selecting a title, have it direct playto my 203 via DLNA. This is pretty dang simple and doesn't require me to transfer movies back and forth between usb drives, which I have to manually plug into the back of the player, then go searching through directories with my remote, And then having to navigate the UHD menu to play the movie. I might as well just use the actual disc at that point.

The 203 literally passes through a 1:1 version of the movie (and only the movie, none of the extra garbage I don't need/want to see) to my LG OLED without me even having to pickup a remote. HDR works perfectly. DV is the only thing not getting passed so far, but it sounds like that is just due to a lack of information on how DV is contained on the disc. Would not surprise me to see support for it at some point down the road. In the mean time I only have 9 DV titles to begin with, and I've yet to see any really great benefit to DV over HDR yet. Valerian and atomic blonde look pretty good, but the rest all seem washed out by comparison to the HDR version. I can easily live without it for the short term. Was just trying to verify where the problem with DV was (software, hardware, or elsewhere).
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

ghost rider wrote: This may be a little off topic but I am new to Makemkv and UHD. I have a Oppo 105D I use for 1080P playback files. I bought a Sony ubp-x800 to play the UHD discs and files and it won't decode the DTSX Atmos audio from a MKV file.

I have 2 options return the Sony and get a Oppo 203 or the cheaper option is save the UHD backups as MTS2 files and see if they play correctly.

If I get the 203 will the app work on both? Can I access both from it at the same time?
I would try going the MTS2 route first (rip a couple, see if they work. If they don't chances are they never will), but it seems like I read somewhere that the dts-x/atmos were only supported via disc on the Sony. I know it can't handle subtitles all that well (if at all) and was one of the primary reasons I opted for the 203 over the x800.

As far as app, are you referring to the Oppo's native network browser and DLNA browser? For what it's worth I typically don't browse my files that way, but the times I have all of my files have been present and playable, though sometimes they show as MKV and others as M2TS, even though all my files are MKV. Not sure why they do that, but since I don't ever use browse that a way on a daily basis I haven't investigated any further into it then that.

I will say this, if you are storing your files on some form of Network attached storage I highly recommend looking into something like Emby. My setup is now very simple and much more reliable than my HTPC ever was.
Badnews

Post by Badnews »

Well 4k isn't all what people think. A lot are mastered at 2k. There isn't really a wow factor here. Yes Atomic Blonde looks really good. The 203 can handle a 6TB HDD easy thru the 203 USB 3.0 port. I can pull up any full movie in seconds. UHD really doesn't have all that much extra BR bs on the disc. I'm not talking about adding a prebuilt laptop enclosed HDD. A regular 3.5" in a hot swap case works wonders. But no matter how you cut it you'll never be able to clone a UHD Disc to BDXL and play it on either the Oppo 203/205. HDD is only option just the flag must be changed in the folder. In your case you don't care but your not gonna get the audio in the MKV...Not yet at least
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Metallikahn wrote:
ghost rider wrote: This may be a little off topic but I am new to Makemkv and UHD. I have a Oppo 105D I use for 1080P playback files. I bought a Sony ubp-x800 to play the UHD discs and files and it won't decode the DTSX Atmos audio from a MKV file.

I would try going the MTS2 route first (rip a couple, see if they work. If they don't chances are they never will), but it seems like I read somewhere that the dts-x/atmos were only supported via disc on the Sony. I know it can't handle subtitles all that well (if at all) and was one of the primary reasons I opted for the 203 over the x800.

As far as app, are you referring to the Oppo's native network browser and DLNA browser? For what it's worth I typically don't browse my files that way, but the times I have all of my files have been present and playable, though sometimes they show as MKV and others as M2TS, even though all my files are MKV. Not sure why they do that, but since I don't ever use browse that a way on a daily basis I haven't investigated any further into it then that.

I will say this, if you are storing your files on some form of Network attached storage I highly recommend looking into something like Emby. My setup is now very simple and much more reliable than my HTPC ever was.
Being that I'm not a very techy person the thought of setting up a network is daunting. I wave been very successfully using my Oppo BDP 105D to control my files. The only limitation has been a maximum of four 4tb drive at one time. Adding a 5th make playback have occasional hiccups.

I need to set up a network!

So will the 203 play Atmos and DTSX from MKV?
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

ghost rider wrote:So will the 203 play Atmos and DTSX from MKV?
It should, to the best of my knowledge. I don't currently have an atmos/dtsx capable receiver to test this with, but I haven't heard anyone say they won't. If you've never been over to AVS Forum before, I'd go to this thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-r ... hread.html and do some digging. 24,000+ posts from people way more knowledgeable than me on these players. Check around the rest of the board, too. They've got owners threads and info on just about any peice of consumer/professional A/V equipment you can imagine! 99% of what I know about home theater I learned there. ;)

As for the network, it's not as bad as you would think. If you know your way around the hardware end of PC's at all, chances are you've got an old pc sitting in the back of your closet that you could take and re-purpose as an unRAID build, like I've got. https://lime-technology.com It can seem a little challenging, but they've got a great wiki that walks you through the setup and management of it step by step. Networking is my weakest PC skill. I constantly struggle with getting anything more complicated than a few routers setup and working right, but I was able to build my server without much problem. Once up and running, It's damn near set and forget. It even allows you to run Dockers, which are basically self contained programs that you can run and access via your web Browser. I've got emby server, Plex server, and MakeMKV running on my mine and they work great. Makemkv is especially useful in docker format as it allows me to rip from the Disc drive straight to the hard disc on the server versus doing it on my PC and then transferring it to the server over the network.

Anyway, TL:DR unRAID is WAY handy and not too hard to setup with a little reading and some trial and error. They've got a great user base and forum as well should you get stuck. One other thing to keep in mind with unRAID is it's built in Data Redundancy. They have a separate (parity) disc in addition to all the data drives (which can be a mix of any size type you want to buy or have lying around) that does a whole bunch crazy math allowing you to replace and restore the data from any single data drive that should happen to fail. The latest version even has dual parity which gives protection against two drives failing at the same time. (think of how much time you spend ripping movies... this is a very desirable feature!)

There are also lot's of Network attached storage (NAS) options, which are essentially prebuilt self contained servers with basic functions. I've not much experience with them, but they're pretty straight forward and are more or less plug and play. Connect them to your router, Log in via your PC, setup security/password and a few other basic settings, and you're off to the races. The nice thing is you can use as big a HDD as you want (or can afford) and you can add as many NAS boxes as you've got Ethernet ports on your router. (buy some network switches and you can keep adding as many as you want.)

Long story short, If you're currently ripping all your movies to 4tb external drives and having to constantly swap them out with one another when trying to find a specific movie you really owe it to yourself to look into some kind of network solution (like mentioned above). Any PITA headaches you encounter getting it up in running is WELL worth the effort after the fact. :D
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

Badnews wrote:Well 4k isn't all what people think. A lot are mastered at 2k. There isn't really a wow factor here. Yes Atomic Blonde looks really good. The 203 can handle a 6TB HDD easy thru the 203 USB 3.0 port. I can pull up any full movie in seconds. UHD really doesn't have all that much extra BR bs on the disc. I'm not talking about adding a prebuilt laptop enclosed HDD. A regular 3.5" in a hot swap case works wonders. But no matter how you cut it you'll never be able to clone a UHD Disc to BDXL and play it on either the Oppo 203/205. HDD is only option just the flag must be changed in the folder. In your case you don't care but your not gonna get the audio in the MKV...Not yet at least
Yeah, I get that about 4k. I'm not talking about 4k, in general. I'm talking about the High Dynamic Range metadata attached to it that, to me, is where UHD's earn there keep. Atomic Blonde and Valerian's DV was very good. Spiderman Homecoming? meh... That's just my personal take on it. I've not watched any of the three I just mentioned in HDR yet so I can't comment, though I suspect the first two are going to be very close to DV and Spiderman will probably have a lot more Wow factor to it. That's just my guess.

I've yet to have a UHD take more than 3-4 seconds to buffer and load over the network from the time I hit play on my ipad. I also get that the UHD disc's are a lot cleaner than a standard bluray (no previews or any of the other typical loading screens), but still, why would I want to deal with that when it could just go straight to the movie? I also really don't see any great reason, for myself, to ever need to clone a UHD to a new disc. I just want the movie, that's it.

How am I not getting the audio, exactly? I've got hundreds of bluray's (and now close to 30 UHD's) ripped. I've yet to have one that has failed to playback it's lossless audio track. They all bitstream perfectly and show up on my Receiver as such. I can't verify Atmos/DTSX, but that's just metadata and I know I can see TRUEHD tracks flagged as Atmos in makemkv, So I'm pretty sure it's there.

Honestly, I think we are talking about two ENTIRELY different playback scenarios/strategies trying to accomplish two very different things. If physically connecting a a storage device to your 203 everytime you want to watch a movie works best for you, have at it and enjoy. I have no doubt the playback is just as outstanding as mine. For me, though it is way to impractical for me to try to do that (no room for drives or to get to the usb port easily)... especially when I have a 20tb server connected via gigabit ethernet that I NEVER HAVE TO TOUCH. Plus it can play to any device in my house (Emby will automatically transcode the video to any device that can't direct play a video natively) or, if I enable the web connection, I can access my movies from anywhere in the world with internet.
wiesel

Post by wiesel »

I can see both layers (HDR10 + DV) if I use MKVToolNix. MakeMKV can only see HDR10.
Attachments
transformers_dv.jpg
transformers_dv.jpg (396.69 KiB) Viewed 35174 times
Badnews

Post by Badnews »

Metallikahn wrote:
Badnews wrote:Well 4k isn't all what people think. A lot are mastered at 2k. There isn't really a wow factor here. Yes Atomic Blonde looks really good. The 203 can handle a 6TB HDD easy thru the 203 USB 3.0 port. I can pull up any full movie in seconds. UHD really doesn't have all that much extra BR bs on the disc. I'm not talking about adding a prebuilt laptop enclosed HDD. A regular 3.5" in a hot swap case works wonders. But no matter how you cut it you'll never be able to clone a UHD Disc to BDXL and play it on either the Oppo 203/205. HDD is only option just the flag must be changed in the folder. In your case you don't care but your not gonna get the audio in the MKV...Not yet at least
Yeah, I get that about 4k. I'm not talking about 4k, in general. I'm talking about the High Dynamic Range metadata attached to it that, to me, is where UHD's earn there keep. Atomic Blonde and Valerian's DV was very good. Spiderman Homecoming? meh... That's just my personal take on it. I've not watched any of the three I just mentioned in HDR yet so I can't comment, though I suspect the first two are going to be very close to DV and Spiderman will probably have a lot more Wow factor to it. That's just my guess.

I've yet to have a UHD take more than 3-4 seconds to buffer and load over the network from the time I hit play on my ipad. I also get that the UHD disc's are a lot cleaner than a standard bluray (no previews or any of the other typical loading screens), but still, why would I want to deal with that when it could just go straight to the movie? I also really don't see any great reason, for myself, to ever need to clone a UHD to a new disc. I just want the movie, that's it.

How am I not getting the audio, exactly? I've got hundreds of bluray's (and now close to 30 UHD's) ripped. I've yet to have one that has failed to playback it's lossless audio track. They all bitstream perfectly and show up on my Receiver as such. I can't verify Atmos/DTSX, but that's just metadata and I know I can see TRUEHD tracks flagged as Atmos in makemkv, So I'm pretty sure it's there.

Honestly, I think we are talking about two ENTIRELY different playback scenarios/strategies trying to accomplish two very different things. If physically connecting a a storage device to your 203 everytime you want to watch a movie works best for you, have at it and enjoy. I have no doubt the playback is just as outstanding as mine. For me, though it is way to impractical for me to try to do that (no room for drives or to get to the usb port easily)... especially when I have a 20tb server connected via gigabit ethernet that I NEVER HAVE TO TOUCH. Plus it can play to any device in my house (Emby will automatically transcode the video to any device that can't direct play a video natively) or, if I enable the web connection, I can access my movies from anywhere in the world with internet.

No a 6TB HDD is always connected to the 203, I don't disconnect it. For what, Anyway from clone to a mkv your talking not gaining that much extra space. When it comes to the 203 your audio is limited by the mkv but gaining Cinavia not being seen.
cmdrdredd

Post by cmdrdredd »

DTS:X works fine, the audio track listing doesn't specify DTS:X but it will extract the metadata properly. Playback is fine using an Nvidia shield and Plex or Kodi. The problem with DTS:X stems from the playback device and software not makemkv.
cmdrdredd

Post by cmdrdredd »

wiesel wrote:I can see both layers (HDR10 + DV) if I use MKVToolNix. MakeMKV can only see HDR10.
Look again, it says 1080p not anywhere specifying dolby vision or HDR10 there so I don't know what your screenshot is supposed to show us.