Stargate Atlantis Season 5 Disc 1 rip error

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
sfriedrich

Stargate Atlantis Season 5 Disc 1 rip error

Post by sfriedrich »

Rip creates a title00.mkv which contains elements from two episodes, resulting in a 6GB file.
This error is repeatable. The workaround is to throw away title00.mkv, all other files appear to be OK.
I saved the log file if anyone wants it.
Woodstock

Re: Stargate Atlantis Season 5 Disc 1 rip error

Post by Woodstock »

Without log information, your post is rather useless - you don't even say if it's the DVD or Bluray version.

For what it is worth, the DVD version ripped fine for me.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
sfriedrich

Post by sfriedrich »

Dear Woodstock, I posted this in the DVD section of the board. Duh.
Music Video fan
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Around here, where you post seems to have little relation to what is being discussed - there are BD discussions in the the UHD and DVD sections, UHD in just about EVERY section.

Being such a nice idiot, I dug out my copy of this disk (second box from the bottom of an 8-box stack), and put it into a drive:
MakeMKV v1.10.10 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXXXXX/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (48 cell(s), 2:58:40) << all 4 episodes, 6.4 GB
Title #2 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 was added (12 cell(s), 0:43:26) << episode 17, 1.5 GB
Title #4 was added (12 cell(s), 0:43:24) << episode 18, 1.4 GB
Title #5 was added (12 cell(s), 0:46:13) << episode 19, 1.7 GB
Title #6 was added (12 cell(s), 0:45:37) << episode 20, 1.7 GB
Title #7 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #12 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #13 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #14 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #15 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #16 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #17 has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #18 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #19 has length of 28 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #19/1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #20 was added (2 cell(s), 0:20:23)
Title #21 was added (1 cell(s), 0:07:03)
Title #22 was added (1 cell(s), 0:08:42)
Title #23 has length of 3 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #23/1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #24 has length of 6 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #24/1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
I use a minimum run time of 30 seconds... What is your minimum run time?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

And then I noticed you said "disk 1", so I did disk 1:
MakeMKV v1.10.10 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\jeffb/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (49 cell(s), 2:53:36) << all 4 episodes, 6.7GB
Title #2 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 was added (12 cell(s), 0:43:27) << episode 1, 1.6GB
Title #4 was added (12 cell(s), 0:43:23) << episode 2, 1.7GB
Title #5 was added (13 cell(s), 0:43:20) << episode 3, 1.6GB
Title #6 was added (12 cell(s), 0:43:26) << episode 4, 1.6GB
Title #7 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #9 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #12 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #13 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #14 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #15 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #16 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #17 has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #18 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #19 has length of 28 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #19/1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #20 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:33)
Title #21 was added (1 cell(s), 0:11:25)
Title #22 was added (1 cell(s), 0:05:49)
Title #23 was added (1 cell(s), 0:06:52)
Title #24 has length of 29 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #24/1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #25 has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #25/1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
If your minimum run time is set to anything less than 2800, the single episode files will NOT be visible in the selection box.
sfriedrich

Post by sfriedrich »

This box set is 26 discs: 5 seasons X 5 discs/season + 1 bonus disk.
Season 5 disc 1 is the ONLY disc that caused MakeMKV to put multiple episodes into a single file, the other 24 discs didn't.
sfriedrich

Post by sfriedrich »

Correction: The bonus disc also put a couple episodes into one file. Vegas and Enemy at the Gate.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Can you post the log from your attempt to rip the disk? It is VERY unusual for this studio to re-author a DVD between releases, which is why I had asked you if you were looking at the the BD version (they do re-vamp things when issuing BDs). All of the season 5 disks in my set were similar to disks 1 and 5, i.e., a 4-episode file plus individual episode files.
sfriedrich

Post by sfriedrich »

I am unable to reproduce an instance where makeMKV doesn't find the path through all episodes. I must have been un-selecting this title. This began long ago. I was ripping and converting to .mp4's with handbrake. I was so sure, I re-installed older versions of makeMKV back to v1.8.3 (which fails completely on this DVD). I went back as far as v1.10.5 in the recent past.
Sorry to waste your time.
preserve

Post by preserve »

I know this is resolved but just to mention some general tips for TV shows in case it helps anyone else...

Keep in mind that this is relatively common for TV shows on both DVD and Blu-ray - a "play all" playlist.

Don't blame it on MakeMKV ;)

The number of chapters, and the runtime, are the giveaways to easily determine what's what.

And don't forget that sometimes a show's pilot or a 2-part episode will be presented on the disc as a single double-length episode.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00