Processing UHD rips with Handbrake or other software

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
preserve

Re: Processing UHD rips with Handbrake or other software

Post by preserve »

JGrant06 wrote:I know I can't do too many 70+GB movies.
starmax wrote:Every movie is different, but most will be 50-80GB.
Yup. I only have 10 titles so far with a couple more on the way, but I am seeing sizes (including just the highest quality English audio plus commentary tracks if there are any) from around 42 GB (X-Men: Apocalypse) up to 72 GB (Dark Knight Rises), with literally everything in between. The surprising part to me was, just from this small selection, how many are on the lower end of the size range. A handful of them aren't any larger than a Blu-ray that takes full advantage of a double layer disc!

As a consumer, I feel that it's still early days for UHD as a format. Too many movies are 2K upscales. They're not using 100 GB discs or sometimes they're not even taking full advantage of the 66 GB discs with the way they are encoding the video, just as early Blu-rays didn't max out the space available on the discs.

Remember that really bad transfer with a crummy VC-1 encode that didn't even fill half of a single layer Blu-ray disc, but at the time you thought it looked amazing, although depending on the movie and the person, some wouldn't believe the difference between DVDs and Blu-rays? And as the format improved over time, you really wanted that studio to re-release that Blu-ray with a new transfer and better codec and encode? (And sometimes they never did?) Well, one day we'll be looking back at these UHDs and feeling the same way!
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
starmax

Post by starmax »

totally agree w/you. I like to check here first to know what to expect before buying anything:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/t ... hd-list-01

I would hate to buy something that was upscaled...
JGrant06

Post by JGrant06 »

starmax wrote:
JGrant06 wrote: Thanks for the info. Here is an update:

I just ripped Blade Runner: The Final Cut and was 45 GB. I have a 10TB RAID but am already using 6 TB so I know I can't do too many 70+GB movies. I did re-rip La La Land without the Spanish and French audio tracks and only lost a few GB which is fine. What do you use as a backup? I am currently using a 7TB external drive and have an additional at my parents. I found more articles also indicating that any re-encoding in Handbrake will remove the HDR, so not doing that.

The transcoding doesn't tax my cpu but it seems to cause the video/audio to lag behind. I have Cat6 running throughout my house except for a Cat5 cable (pre-run from Fios) running from outside to inside my basement. I think this may be the bottleneck and cause of the lag, but do not have another 4k monitor/tv to test. I had the same thing happed with La La Land if I chose an audio track my server had to transcode. My cpu on my server is being utilized very little to transcode audio so I know it is not the bottleneck. I can fix the problem by getting another audio track of Dunkirk but worth a note for any others noticing lag with a 4k direct stream through Plex.

I did successfully watch Blade Runner: The Final Cut and La La Land (both UHD) all the way through and did not notice any buffering. My server did not have to transcode audio either time.
I use Time Machine since my PMS is running MacOS X 10.9 on a Sandy Bridge-based Hackintosh. It has been absolutely flawless since I moved it to 10.9 a couple years ago. Super happy with it.

Cat5 should be good enough for gigabit ethernet.

So what are you using for your plex client to playback these UHD rips?
I'm using a Sony X900E tv for playback until I finish building my HTPC.
preserve

Post by preserve »

starmax wrote:I like to check here first to know what to expect before buying anything:
Yes, I check this list of UHDs that have 4K masters, there are probably a few exceptions in the list but it's close enough to definitely avoid the 2K upscales: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=270798
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
starmax

Post by starmax »

JGrant06 wrote:
Interesting, I'm using X800E TV for playback (Android TV) but don't have lag when playing DTS tracks (only have 1/2 of Deadpool and Amazing Spider-man 2 at this point). Be sure to check your Plex Client settings to make sure the Video Quality -> Home Streaming = Maximum.
JGrant06

Post by JGrant06 »

starmax wrote:
JGrant06 wrote:
Interesting, I'm using X800E TV for playback (Android TV) but don't have lag when playing DTS tracks (only have 1/2 of Deadpool and Amazing Spider-man 2 at this point). Be sure to check your Plex Client settings to make sure the Video Quality -> Home Streaming = Maximum.
Hmm. Is the DTS being transcoded when you use the track? I am using an optical audio cord from the tv to the receiver and optical cannot transmit DTS like HDMI can (one of the reasons I need to finish my HTPC build). I do have the quality set to maximum and direct stream from my server.

Also in case everyone is not aware, Amazon is having a 3 for $50 sale ($16.67/movie) until the end of February which is still cheaper than like-new movies on Ebay. Only select movies, but each of the Dark Knight Trilogy movies are on there.
starmax

Post by starmax »

JGrant06 wrote: Hmm. Is the DTS being transcoded when you use the track? I am using an optical audio cord from the tv to the receiver and optical cannot transmit DTS like HDMI can (one of the reasons I need to finish my HTPC build). I do have the quality set to maximum and direct stream from my server.
Yes mine is being transcoded, my TV not connected to any external sound system, just lame TV speakers.

Have you tried using ARC HDMI on your TV instead of optical? Not sure about your TV specifically, but many TVs will do true passthrough via ARC.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Give you guys a tip on HDR. Straxrip 1.4 will encode any HDR file to any size and retain HDR , color space and 10bit. Peace......
JGrant06

Post by JGrant06 »

starmax wrote:
JGrant06 wrote: Hmm. Is the DTS being transcoded when you use the track? I am using an optical audio cord from the tv to the receiver and optical cannot transmit DTS like HDMI can (one of the reasons I need to finish my HTPC build). I do have the quality set to maximum and direct stream from my server.
Yes mine is being transcoded, my TV not connected to any external sound system, just lame TV speakers.

Have you tried using ARC HDMI on your TV instead of optical? Not sure about your TV specifically, but many TVs will do true passthrough via ARC.
I had never heard of ARC HDMI and you just blew my mind. I will try that and see what my TV can transmit through that format. Thanks!
skiddy

Post by skiddy »

gereral1 wrote:Give you guys a tip on HDR. Straxrip 1.4 will encode any HDR file to any size and retain HDR , color space and 10bit. Peace......
Isn’t 1.7 the latest? I need to get familiar with this tool, at first glance I couldn’t see how to pass through multiple (>2) audio streams or handle subs.

Sounds promising though.
Rendermonster

Post by Rendermonster »

I would love to head more about StaxRip for this purpose too...trying to compress my 4K discs somewhat, but retain the HDR. I got it to work in ffmpeg for small samples, but the full movie continues to crash my (12 core!) Mac Pro. So I am working on using some other program via emulation to throttle....

But I digress...is the only HDR control for StaxRip done through powershell scripting? learning another new language is not ideal, but if I have to I guess. I just figured there'd be an easier way to pass color through while retaining HDR and color settings, etc from the MKV. Anyone have any insight into StaxRip or alternative programs?

Thanks!
Last edited by Rendermonster on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starmax

Post by starmax »

I guess the nightly builds of Handbrake support HDR for x265 encodings. I haven't tried this yet since I have had troubles with using the nightly builds and release builds on the same machine and don't want to mess with my normal release-version of handbrake. But if you are looking for a Mac solution, the nightly builds of Handbrake might do the trick.
Rendermonster

Post by Rendermonster »

Thanks for the reply starmax....unfortunately, Handbrake uses an 8 bit pipeline to my understanding. So while the the output may say 10 bit, it is not truly the case. I’ve confirmed this through small testing, but I could certainly have gotten something wrong. I’m an excel / R jockey, and only a video editing hobbyist! Ha!
starmax

Post by starmax »

The other tool I occasionally use is RipBot264. Its windows only, and a bit to setup but thei latest release notes imply they fully support HDR.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/best-gu ... ays.74390/

Max and imhh1 have perfected UHD encoding. This info WILL help you guys out. It is easier to let him explain it instead of typing a long article. Enjoy..... :mrgreen: