UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
sofakng

Re: UHD drives

Post by sofakng »

Hmmm... I'm using an ASUS Maximus Hero X (Z370) that doesn't appear to support legacy IDE mode (AHCI only).

Do I have any options?

I've made the boot disk but DOSFlash doesn't detect the drive.

EDIT: If I can another PC I can use for flashing, can I use DOSFlash to flash 1.02 but also keep the calibration data from the original firmware dump?
Veger69

Post by Veger69 »

rivey wrote:
Veger69 wrote:Can anyone confirm that this drive will work as long as I don’t upgrade the firmware?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-16x-ext ... Id=5450155
It is not on the "friendly list" so I must assume that it will not work. Why not get a internal drive from the friendly list and an external case (USB).
It’s listed as a BE16NU50. That’s the first drive on the friendly list. I was just wondering if the firmware will work or if I would have to re flash it.
rivey

Post by rivey »

Veger69 wrote:
rivey wrote:
Veger69 wrote:Can anyone confirm that this drive will work as long as I don’t upgrade the firmware?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-16x-ext ... Id=5450155
It is not on the "friendly list" so I must assume that it will not work. Why not get a internal drive from the friendly list and an external case (USB).
It’s listed as a BE16NU50. That’s the first drive on the friendly list. I was just wondering if the firmware will work or if I would have to re flash it.
My previous post above was was wrong. It is on the friendly list. My printed list was marked up and I missed it. As long as you don't upgrade the firmware past 1.02 you will be fine.
jmonier

Post by jmonier »

FYI: The LG WH14NS40 (SVC CODE:NS50) works just as well as the WH16NS40. When either LG is flashed with the Asus 3.02 firmware they are just as fast as the Asus.
nathanddrews

Post by nathanddrews »

jmonier wrote:FYI: The LG WH14NS40 (SVC CODE:NS50) works just as well as the WH16NS40.
I can confirm this, I use both the WH14NS40 and WH16NS40.
stuckinkodiagain

Post by stuckinkodiagain »

Hey guys,

Can anyone confirm a working UHD external USB 3.0 drive that works with a Mac?

Thanks in advance!
koenkooi

Post by koenkooi »

stuckinkodiagain wrote:Hey guys,

Can anyone confirm a working UHD external USB 3.0 drive that works with a Mac?

Thanks in advance!
LG BE16NU50 with the 1.01 firmware. 1.02 breaks it, so get one and check the underside to see which version it has. The august 2017 batch works, 1.02 was released in december.
stuckinkodiagain

koenkooi wrote:LG BE16NU50 with the 1.01 firmware. 1.02 breaks it, so get one and check the underside to see which version it has. The august 2017 batch works, 1.02 was released in december.
Appreciate the advice! Are there any other models that fit the same bill, since ordering and returning the BE16NU50 in the hopes of not getting a version with 1.02 firmware could be a hassle. I’d just check the bottom of the box in stores, but it doesn’t appear to be available in retail by me.
kingston12

Post by kingston12 »

stuckinkodiagain wrote:
koenkooi wrote:LG BE16NU50 with the 1.01 firmware. 1.02 breaks it, so get one and check the underside to see which version it has. The august 2017 batch works, 1.02 was released in december.
Appreciate the advice! Are there any other models that fit the same bill, since ordering and returning the BE16NU50 in the hopes of not getting a version with 1.02 firmware could be a hassle. I’d just check the bottom of the box in stores, but it doesn’t appear to be available in retail by me.
I have got a BE16NU50 coming today. The seller will accept returns as long as the box isn't opened, so I am hoping there is some way to assess compatibility with opening it up.

The main disadvantage with the external drives (as I understand it) is that you can't roll back the firmware without opening the enclosure and connecting by SATA.

If my BE16NU50 doesn't work, the other two options I am considering are:

1. Asus BW-16D1H-U PRO. I hope that this works, the exact drive isn't on the list, but appears to be the external variant of the most highly recommended internal drive.

2. ASUS BW-16D1HT internal with Icybox 5.25" enclosure which works out about the same price where I am.

I have got a Mac and a PC. The PC case will not take 5.25" drives which is why I need external, but I will test on both Mac and PC and update which solution works.
kingston12

Post by kingston12 »

stuckinkodiagain wrote:
Just to update this, I received the BE16NU50 and it works fine with my Mac and MakeMKV.

I did have to open the box to find out the details of the drive. The outer box was not sealed anyway, despite looking as though it was definitely a brand new one that hadn't been opened before.

The manufacture date on mine is June 2017 and it has the rev 1.01 firmware. I only have a small collection of UHD discs so far, but it has ripped five of them without issue.

I am pleased with the upgrade from my Samsung SE506. There LG is a much bigger drive, and needs to be plugged into a power outlet, but it rips a standard Blu-ray in under half the time of the Samsung. It runs at 5-6x whilst the Samsung always seemed to be about 2x. I has put thousands of discs through the Samsung anyway, so I'd probably have to have bought a new drive sooner rather than later even if it wasn't for UHD compatibility.
stuckinkodiagain

kingston12 wrote:Just to update this, I received the BE16NU50 and it works fine with my Mac and MakeMKV.

I did have to open the box to find out the details of the drive. The outer box was not sealed anyway, despite looking as though it was definitely a brand new one that hadn't been opened before.

The manufacture date on mine is June 2017 and it has the rev 1.01 firmware. I only have a small collection of UHD discs so far, but it has ripped five of them without issue.

I am pleased with the upgrade from my Samsung SE506. There LG is a much bigger drive, and needs to be plugged into a power outlet, but it rips a standard Blu-ray in under half the time of the Samsung. It runs at 5-6x whilst the Samsung always seemed to be about 2x. I has put thousands of discs through the Samsung anyway, so I'd probably have to have bought a new drive sooner rather than later even if it wasn't for UHD compatibility.
Where did you purchase from, out of curiosity?
kingston12

Post by kingston12 »

stuckinkodiagain wrote:
kingston12 wrote:Just to update this, I received the BE16NU50 and it works fine with my Mac and MakeMKV.

Where did you purchase from, out of curiosity?
I got it from here:
http://zippytom.com/catalog/product/vie ... -warranty/

Good service, next day delivery.
solidus28

Post by solidus28 »

Just ordered 2x BW-16D1HT from Newegg earlier this week. Received both today with Manufacturing dates of 5/2017 and have fw 3.01. I have my first one plugged in ripping Transformers Dark of the Moon as I type this. Working great!
solidus28

Post by solidus28 »

First rip successful!

Elapsed Time 1:01:47
Size 89448.4 M
Speed 33.1 M/s 7.7X
sonner

Post by sonner »

Can the BE16NU50 be downgraded if you get one with the 1.02 firmware?
Thanks