Location for profiles in v.1.12.0

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Meister_Proper

Location for profiles in v.1.12.0

Post by Meister_Proper »

I'm using MakeMKV on a Ubuntu 16.04 VM on my Qnap NAS.

In the past I always copied my edited default.mmcp.xml file to "/usr/share/MakeMKV/" and it worked just fine.

However, after installing version v1.12.0 I'm getting an error that there are multiple default profiles upon start of MakeMKV. When I delete my default profile in "/usr/share/MakeMKV/" I dont get the message again. So it seems that makemkv changed the location for the profile with the latest version.
I already searched for the default profile on my VM but I couldn't find where it is stored.

Can anybody tell me the new location of the profiles?
Woodstock

Re: Location for profiles in v.1.12.0

Post by Woodstock »

Your MakeMKV data directory is where you should put any files you have CHANGED. The original files can remain in the program directory.

You should NOT name a modified profile "default", because it will cause this error.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

Not the answer I was hoping for as it worked flawlessly before ;)

I tried to rename the file itself and also the third line:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<profile>
    <!-- profile name - Myprofile -->
    <name lang="mogz">:5086</name>
But I'm getting the same error. So I ended up just adding my profile manually via:

"-sel:all,+sel:(eng|nolang),-sel:core,-sel:havelossless,+sel:mvcvideo,-sel:subtitle*(all),+sel:(forced*(eng)),-sel:special"

Which might be the easiest way of them all, but somehow I wanted to complicate things^^
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Your profile isn't named "MyProfile" in your example, it's named ":5086", which may be invalid. What you want is:

<name lang="eng">MyProfile</name>
The important part is that the name in the <name> tag is unique among the profile files in the MakeMKV program and data directories. MakeMKV will search both during start-up.

Profiles that are invalid will generate error messages, and not be allowed in the pull-down. Duplicates lose out to originals, because the program directory is searched first.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

Thansk, that make sense then although I find it wird that the name is 5086 when its displayed within Makemkv as "default".
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The leading colon, I believe, makes the name invalid, so it is likely that "default" is substituted.

But that's just a guess on my part, based on a lot of XML work. Mike would have the definitive answer.
violaian

Post by violaian »

probably way off topic here, but I don't see it anywhere else. Is this also the folder where the hashed keys go?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes. All data files, such as profiles and keys, should be in the MakeMKV data directory.
Reiver

Post by Reiver »

The profile files included with MakeMKV 1.12.0 seem to have been put into a /usr/share/MakeMKV/appdata.tar archive for some reason. I've been patching flac.mmcp.xml to increase flac-fast compression level from 5 to 10 (while flac-best with compression level 12, with FFMpeg as used by MakeMKV, is not within the FLAC Subset format).

Should be possible to uncompress, edit and recompress except for an annoying filename beginning with a double hyphen that even when escaped tar tries to treat as a command line option...
anoy420

Post by anoy420 »

Reiver wrote:The profile files included with MakeMKV 1.12.0 seem to have been put into a /usr/share/MakeMKV/appdata.tar archive for some reason. I've been patching flac.mmcp.xml to increase flac-fast compression level from 5 to 10 (while flac-best with compression level 12, with FFMpeg as used by MakeMKV, is not within the FLAC Subset format).

Should be possible to uncompress, edit and recompress except for an annoying filename beginning with a double hyphen that even when escaped tar tries to treat as a command line option...
Can you share your custom xml file? Does it extract the lossless audio too?
Reiver

Post by Reiver »

It's just changing the default flac.mmcp.xml file and setting compression_level for flac-fast to 10 at this section;

<outputSettings name="flac-fast" outputFormat="FLAC">
        <description lang="eng">Save as FLAC (fast compression)</description>
        <extraArgs>-compression_level 10</extraArgs>
</outputSettings>
You can extract the flac.mmcp.xml from the appdata.tar, edit it and then (as tar files were originally for tapes and replacing data in the middle of a tape is difficult) update the tar file by appending the new flac.mmcp.xml which overrides the first flac.mmcp.xml file in the tar;

$ tar xf appdata.tar
$ vim flac.mmcp.xml
$ tar uf appdata.tar flac.mmcp.xml

The compression savings between levels 5 and 10 are small but encoding time is near the same while level 12 is not a FLAC subset meaning potential streaming and hardware decoding issues (if there are any actual FLAC hardware decoders).
anoy420

Post by anoy420 »

Reiver wrote:It's just changing the default flac.mmcp.xml file and setting compression_level for flac-fast to 10 at this section;

<outputSettings name="flac-fast" outputFormat="FLAC">
        <description lang="eng">Save as FLAC (fast compression)</description>
        <extraArgs>-compression_level 10</extraArgs>
</outputSettings>
You can extract the flac.mmcp.xml from the appdata.tar, edit it and then (as tar files were originally for tapes and replacing data in the middle of a tape is difficult) update the tar file by appending the new flac.mmcp.xml which overrides the first flac.mmcp.xml file in the tar;

$ tar xf appdata.tar
$ vim flac.mmcp.xml
$ tar uf appdata.tar flac.mmcp.xml

The compression savings between levels 5 and 10 are small but encoding time is near the same while level 12 is not a FLAC subset meaning potential streaming and hardware decoding issues (if there are any actual FLAC hardware decoders).
How do you even use it with the cli only anyway?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Reiver wrote:You can extract the flac.mmcp.xml from the appdata.tar, edit it and then (as tar files were originally for tapes and replacing data in the middle of a tape is difficult) update the tar file by appending the new flac.mmcp.xml which overrides the first flac.mmcp.xml file in the tar;
No, don't put into tar file - make a custom name for profile and put it into MakeMKV data directory. This way it will survive re-installations.
anoy420 wrote:How do you even use it with the cli only anyway?

--profile=/path/to/profile.mmcp.xm