How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
ESPNY

Re: How To Rip a 3d bluray?

Post by ESPNY »

Mac OS, High Sierra, iMac Retina 5k, 64Gb, i7 top of the line model.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Then I'll have to let someone who is using the Mac version to pipe up about differences from what the Windows version shows. They should be pretty close to the same.

Which buttons aren't available?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ESPNY

Post by ESPNY »

So I installed makemkv 1.12.0 on a windows laptop, win 10 and still have the same problem. :!:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You say you have the same problem, but, so far, you're saying that "buttons do not work", without saying WHICH buttons.

If you are running the Windows version, the screen shots in expert mode topic should match, other than the version number.
ESPNY

Post by ESPNY »

The select files and stream buttons don´t work on both systems... :shock:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When you first load a BD, the buttons that are active are "Open disk", "Backup", "Preferences", and "Eject".

Until you OPEN the disk, "Save selected files" has nothing to do, so it is inactive. The same with "Start streaming server".

When you OPEN the disk, the "Backup" button will go inactive, and the others will be usable.

There are many things that require you to open the disk, because they require information found on the disk.
ESPNY

Post by ESPNY »

I see, my bad. I did not use the program :D properly. Thank you for taking your time and explaining!
buffalo master

Post by buffalo master »

So I'm actually trying to create my own 2D rips of my 3D Blu-rays. At first glance, MakeMKV appears to do this automatically (just downloaded it and used the default settings). But I'm wondering how that file is being created? Is it really a full 1920x1080 output, or am I really getting a 960x1080 source that has been upscaled to 1920x1080 for the final file?

I expected that I would need to first rip the MakeMKV 3D file, then convert to F-SBS 3840x1080, then crop off the left or right half of the file using Handbrake. But if MakeMKV is skipping those steps for me and giving me a true 1920x1080 file in 2D, that's even better.

Does anyone know how it works? I'm having trouble finding anything related to 3D in the MakeMKV documentation.
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

tribunal88 wrote:If you have a projector that understands frame-packing, I'd stick with that instead of performing a conversion.
Yes, my Epson 3700 has native 1080p frame-packing built in. The question I have, though, is do I need special software for my Mac to send the file to the projector to get 3d? Ideally, I'd like to rip the 3D file from the Blu-ray Disc to my hard drive, then use playback software (e.g., Plex, VLC, etc.) so the projector does the decoding (wearing 3D glasses, of course). When I open the only Blu-ray Disc that I have with 3D video, there is a file under "Description" that is "Mpeg4-MVC-3D". I assume this is the file I want to rip, correct?

Thanks!
preserve

Post by preserve »

Yes you are getting a true 1920x1080 file. But just remember it has been messed about with by the 3D painters for the conversion. If you're watching in 2D, you're better to get the 2D version. But of course that's up to you.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
buffalo master

Post by buffalo master »

preserve wrote:Yes you are getting a true 1920x1080 file. But just remember it has been messed about with by the 3D painters for the conversion. If you're watching in 2D, you're better to get the 2D version. But of course that's up to you.
The issue is, with certain Marvel films, the variable aspect ratio "IMAX" scenes are only available on the 3D Blu-ray. This is true for both Guardians of the Galaxies, Doctor Strange, Civil War, and Thor: Ragnarok. If you want to see the IMAX scenes (trimmed to 16:9, obviously), you have to watch in 3D. I don't want to watch in 3D, so I'd prefer to do my own 2D rips.

All the guides I read recommended that you take create a "full" side-by-side rip at 3840x1080, and crop half the side off. I'm just wondering if these guides were put out before MakeMKV added support for creating 2D files from a 3D source, or if it would in fact be better to use DVDFab (or some other software) to rip the side-by-side 3840x1080. I'm wondering if that would negate whatever was messed up with the 3D conversion that you speak of? It's tough to find any info on this due to how unpopular 3D is. Which I get, since that is precisely the reason I'm looking for the info in the first place. =)
preserve

Post by preserve »

Video is not stored on the Blu-ray disc in side by side format. It is not stored as 3840x1080. So those guides are talking about something else. Maybe they are talking about illegally distributed files.
buffalo master

Post by buffalo master »

preserve wrote:Video is not stored on the Blu-ray disc in side by side format. It is not stored as 3840x1080. So those guides are talking about something else. Maybe they are talking about illegally distributed files.
DVDFab (and other software I assume) can rip a 3D Bluray into SBS 3840x1080. MakeMKV doesn't, but others do. That's what I was referring to. Illegally distributed files still have to have a source, after all.
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

I'm still stuck. I ripped the 3D movie and it should still be frame packed, right? It's the Mpeg4-MVC-3D file from the disc. My Epson 3700 is supposed to have native frame pack decoding but the only options I see are TB and LR. Glasses are synced to the projector fine. However, the video clearly has two images that are way too far apart. I'm not sure what I need to do from here. I've tried VLC 3.0.1 (which is supposed to have 3D support) and IINA, but to no avail.
preserve

Post by preserve »

buffalo master wrote:DVDFab (and other software I assume) can rip a 3D Bluray into SBS 3840x1080. MakeMKV doesn't, but others do.
Right. So in that case, it's offering the option of rendering the video into that format since SBS is a popular playback method, which is not the native stream.
Cave Man wrote:I'm still stuck. I ripped the 3D movie and it should still be frame packed, right?
As long as you have the MVC track also selected when you ripped it, you will be getting the original AVC/MVC video streams.

I haven't had the frame-packed output method work with my setup either, so I haven't really gone deep into what hardware and playback software should be needed and what exactly the requirements are to make it work. You might need to use different playback software such as Stereoscopic Player.