ASUS BW-16D1HT 1.01 - can't update firmware

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
mizu_ger

ASUS BW-16D1HT 1.01 - can't update firmware

Post by mizu_ger »

I just got an Asus BW-16D1HT. The firmware version is 1.01 (see makemkv display data below). The drive will not read UHD disks. The light will flash and the UHD disk spins up/down a few times and the drive just goes silent. Makemkv doesn't register anything happening (except for the drive drawer opening and closing). It will read standard blu-ray fine.

I tried to update the firmware to 3.02 using the Asus FW Update (from here: https://www.asus.com/ie/Optical-Drives- ... _Download/), but the updater just tells me that the drive is up to date ("Your optical drive firmare is up to date").

I am a bit confused. How can the 3.02 updater tell me the drive is up to date if the FW is 1.01? Is there something I am missing. Could the drive be defective?

Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 1.01
Firmware date: 2113-02-05 19:30:
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 63
st4evr

Re: ASUS BW-16D1HT 1.01 - can't update firmware

Post by st4evr »

Read the posts located here by member "jpsdr":

https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopi ... 015#p61316

He explains his findings regarding this type of drive. You have an older version of the Asus BW-16D1HT drive. It is NOT a UHD friendly version of the drive.

Newer Asus BW-16D1HT drives come with different firmware.
mizu_ger

Post by mizu_ger »

That's unfortunate! !

I'll try to exchange the drive for another.

Thanks for the information.
Deniska

Post by Deniska »

Are you find how to upgrade old BW-16D1HT with firmware 1.01 for UHD? May be somebody knows to compare firmware 1.01 with 3.00 or 3.10 and disassemble it to find way how to make UHD working for old drives based on 1.01 firmware ?? Because it seems to me the problem is not with hardware compability , the problem is because nobody make UHD version of 1.01 firmware for old drives to work with new UHD disk !!
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Deniska wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:49 pm
Are you find how to upgrade old BW-16D1HT with firmware 1.01 for UHD? May be somebody knows to compare firmware 1.01 with 3.00 or 3.10 and disassemble it to find way how to make UHD working for old drives based on 1.01 firmware ?? Because it seems to me the problem is not with hardware compability , the problem is because nobody make UHD version of 1.01 firmware for old drives to work with new UHD disk !!
No. You are wrong.

First, no need to post the same thing in multiple threads. Not gonna get a different answer.

Second, no matter how many imaginary assumptions you make up in your head as to the reason(s) why those older drives do not work, you’ll still be wrong. Feel free to flash the drive and you’ll find out the hard way. Just because “it seems” to you it does not make it true or fact. The factual reasons why those older drives are not UHD capable have been discussed to death already. Google and the forum search function work, use them. Educate yourself prior to posting inaccurate assumptions as it’s of no help to you or others reading these posts/threads. There is already a lot of existing detailed and correct information out there as to why the older drives will never work for this.
Deniska

Post by Deniska »

Excuse me for write same thing in different tree of this forum. I have just registered here and my messages goes via administrator to publication

Ok this firmware 1.01 for asus BW-16D1HT can’t read UHD as you tell me, but what about writing UHD on this drive (about reading I understand that it is impossible)?

That is different between usual blu-ray format and UHD 4K blu-ray?
UHD disk has its own file system ?

This is marketing things for 2015 year BW-16D1HT block UHD ?

If I will bought new BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.10 how I can upgrade or unlock it for read / write UHD?
Last edited by Deniska on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Deniska wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 am
Excuse me for write same thing in different tree of this forum. I have just registered here and my messages goes via administrator to publication

Ok this firmware 1.01 for asus BW-16D1HT can’t read UHD as you tell me, but what about writing UHD on this drive (about reading I understand that it is impossible)?

That is different between usual blu-ray format and UHD 4K blu-ray?
UHD disk has its own file system ?

This is marketing things for 2015 year BW-16D1HT block UHD ?
There is no such thing as a "UHD writer".
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Deniska

Post by Deniska »

But How to write UHD ?

Even on new BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.10 and with unlock UHD I can’t write UHD??
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Deniska wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 am
But How to write UHD ?

Even on new BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.10 and with unlock UHD I can’t write UHD??
There is no such thing as a UHD writer.
There is no such thing as a writeable UHD disc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Deniska

Post by Deniska »

What about BDXL 3 or 4 layer disks up to 128gb ?? This Blu-ray asus BW-16D1HT writer support BDXL disk writing.

For this disks I can write disks as I understand in any format , because there are no UHD -file system disk format .... as I know I can write UHD disk using Asus.

I ask about model of this Drive.
Old drives I understand can’t read UHD. What about writing ??

What about new Asus drives with firmware 3.10?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Deniska wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 am
What about BDXL 3 or 4 layer disks up to 128gb ?? This Blu-ray asus BW-16D1HT writer support BDXL disk writing.

For this disks I can write disks as I understand in any format , because there are no UHD -file system disk format .... as I know I can write UHD disk using Asus.

I ask about model of this Drive.
Old drives I understand can’t read UHD. What about writing ??

What about new Asus drives with firmware 3.10?
How are you going to write a UHD to the BDXL disc if you can't rip the UHD disc?

If you want to be able to rip UHD (and write to BDXL) then just buy a new "UHD friendly" drive and be done with it.

Most people don't write to blu-ray discs anymore as HDD storage is quite cheap these days.
Deniska

Post by Deniska »

So, you mean as I understand I can’t RIP UHD, because I can’t read it via old Asus BW-16D1HT??

But I am not going Rip it from copy of UHD Bli-ray disk , I am going to download allready rip image from internet:))) and then burn the image !!! Understand ? Is it possible with old drive ?

But I am going probably to buy second new Asus BW-D1HT with firmware 3.10 . (I have two computers in my home for different personal)
Is it possible to unlock firmware 3.10 to UHD?

About copy film to HDD , I know everything. I have Apple TV with plex and infuse:))

But I am going to start to be ready for 4K in all way :)))
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Deniska wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Pay attention and read the sticky/guide posts across the forum. They are there to provide important information and answers to these common questions. Start here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Deniska wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 pm
So, you mean as I understand I can’t RIP UHD, because I can’t read it via old Asus BW-16D1HT??

But I am not going Rip it from copy of UHD Bli-ray disk , I am going to download allready rip image from internet:))) and then burn the image !!! Understand ? Is it possible with old drive ?

But I am going probably to buy second new Asus BW-D1HT with firmware 3.10 . (I have two computers in my home for different personal)

About copy film to HDD , I know everything. I have Apple TV with plex and infuse:))

But I am going to start to be ready for 4K in all way :)))
We do not condone nor support piracy here.
Deniska

Post by Deniska »

For different region we need different or one unlocking UHD firmware for Asus BW-16D1HT ?