UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
met_fan

Re: UHD drives

Post by met_fan »

Just had a 16D1HT delivered on Friday that had a manufacture date of January 2017 and 3.00 firmware.
jfabianmedina

Post by jfabianmedina »

met_fan wrote:Just had a 16D1HT delivered on Friday that had a manufacture date of January 2017 and 3.00 firmware.
I have the same drive and it works great!
Bibio

Post by Bibio »

my new drive 16d1ht arrived to day with firmware 3.01

works a treat :-)

only trouble is that is only slightly faster than my lg 14 :-(

oohh well its only to be used for 4k backup and i'll continue to use the lg 14 for dvd/bluray backup.

i might just get another and put it away in the cupboard...
awesmdiver

Post by awesmdiver »

Just out of curiosity where did you purchase your ASUS BW-16D1HT that came with 3.0 or 3.1 FW?
ridonkulous

Post by ridonkulous »

:( Hi this is a note for Teddy Raspin regarding the LG BE16NU50. Just ordered and received it here in OZ from Germany and to my dismay the ROM version is 1.02. I chose it as it's an external drive that will run on my Mac with a usb but it seems from previous posts that even without taking it out of the wrapping it's not going to do the job launching UHD disks. Are you able to provide a guide for me to downgrade this to 1.01 with my desktop Mac via the usb?
Skopin

Post by Skopin »

Hey everyone,

I just got a BW-16D1HT today, with firmware 3.02. I thought that was going to work, but when I inserted my Independence Day UHD disc, it just spun for a few seconds, then said no disc. Any suggestions?
met_fan

Post by met_fan »

awesmdiver wrote:Just out of curiosity where did you purchase your ASUS BW-16D1HT that came with 3.0 or 3.1 FW?
Amazon
ziggyspider

Post by ziggyspider »

Please help me choose a Drive, I'm on a MacBook Pro, I mostly want rip my CD/DVD and now BluRay collection (mostly normal blurays, not 4k discs but well are welcome), burn? I doubt that I burn... maybe some discs but mostly I need for rip not burn. This drive is an overkill for my needs?

Enclosure vs Ready to use:

1. BW-16D1HT https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DW ... _qh_dp_hza
plus this enclosure Vantec NST-536S3-BK https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR ... 0DER&psc=1

OR

2. Buy the ready external BW-16D1X-U https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VP89X1/re ... B00DWFPDJI

as far I read both drives are the same but one is ready and other needs and enclosure or used in a desktop case of course.

In some way I like the idea of an enclosure if I need in the future replace the drive... but I don't know if trust in that enclosure,
in the other hand I hope not replace the drive in years and the BW-16D1X-U not need an enclosure and is ready to use.

help choose please!!!
thanks!!!
josephmyates

Post by josephmyates »

met_fan wrote:
awesmdiver wrote:Just out of curiosity where did you purchase your ASUS BW-16D1HT that came with 3.0 or 3.1 FW?
Amazon
Was just now checking Amazon - and only third party vendors are selling this model - Which of these vendors did you purchase from?
xenphor

Post by xenphor »

So using a vantec NST-536S3-BK enclosure along with the Asus BW-16D1HT is known to work? The only problem might be that you can't downgrade the firmware if you hook it up externally? I could plug it internally if I have to but I have a mini itx case with no drive bays so I wouldn't want to keep it like that.

I was thinking of getting the drive from Fry's because maybe it would have a better chance of being on a lower firmware, but could it be too low?
piper28

Post by piper28 »

New LG WH16NS40 drive purchased from Amazon, came with manufacturing date of Jan 2018, and FW 1.03.

So, if I follow things correctly, I need to follow the directions in this thread to do a downgrade to 1.02?
babgvant

Post by babgvant »

TeddyRaspin wrote:Try this. Run the exe and select the firmware bin file (ASUS 3.02). :wink:
Don't suppose this will work on a WH16NS40/NS50?

If not, is the dosflash thing the way to go?
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

Hi, new to the forums but not makemkv.

I've started to build up a collection of 4K discs that I'd like to rip and store on my NAS.

I'm using a Mac Mini so I'll be needing an external USB drive.

What can I buy currently that will work out of the box?

Thanks in advance :)
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

B17NNS wrote:Hi, new to the forums but not makemkv.

I've started to build up a collection of 4K discs that I'd like to rip and store on my NAS.

I'm using a Mac Mini so I'll be needing an external USB drive.

What can I buy currently that will work out of the box?

Thanks in advance :)
There are a select few drives that can rip UHD disks and certain specific and IMPORTANT requirements have to be met. This is discussed in detail in the original post in this thread as well as several other discussions across the web.

Examples:

https://www.myce.com/news/the-ultimate- ... ive-83254/

https://club.myce.com/t/the-ultimate-ul ... /399725/15

As it's discussed in the posts above yours, you either have to buy a UHD friendly external drive from the list or buy an internal drive and then an enclosure.
babgvant

Post by babgvant »

babgvant wrote:
TeddyRaspin wrote:Try this. Run the exe and select the firmware bin file (ASUS 3.02). :wink:
Don't suppose this will work on a WH16NS40/NS50?

If not, is the dosflash thing the way to go?
Ended up doing the dosflash while waiting for my post to get approved :).