Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
fljoemon

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware

Post by fljoemon »

aaronwt wrote:I juts ordered this drive from Amazon since they have a $25 rebate.

If I get lucky and it has firmware 1.02, am I able to use the clean 1.02 firmware and easily load it? Or do I need to go through the same convoluted process that you need to use for downgrading the firmware?
I think you mean the 3.02 firmware ... some people have reported that the 3.02 firmware did not work for them as it patched the ACCS hole. Your best bet will be to install it in your PC and then use makemkv to read a UHD disc. If it is successful to rip the disc, you are golden. If not you will need to use Teddy's procedure to make a dump of your existing firmware using DOSFLASH and use the EEPROM data mover utility to merge with the clean firmware and write the merged firmware back to your drive using DOSFLASH again.

I just got a brand new ASUS BW-16D1HT drive from Newegg and the manufacture date is February 2018 ... have not installed in my enclosure yet, but I am assuming that it definitely will have the 3.03 firmware and I will need to use Teddy's method and patch it with the 3.02 clean firmware. Now to find an old PC .. I live in a Mac household :-(
aaronwt

Post by aaronwt »

fljoemon wrote:
aaronwt wrote:I juts ordered this drive from Amazon since they have a $25 rebate.

If I get lucky and it has firmware 1.02, am I able to use the clean 1.02 firmware and easily load it? Or do I need to go through the same convoluted process that you need to use for downgrading the firmware?
I think you mean the 3.02 firmware ... some people have reported that the 3.02 firmware did not work for them as it patched the ACCS hole. Your best bet will be to install it in your PC and then use makemkv to read a UHD disc. If it is successful to rip the disc, you are golden. If not you will need to use Teddy's procedure to make a dump of your existing firmware using DOSFLASH and use the EEPROM data mover utility to merge with the clean firmware and write the merged firmware back to your drive using DOSFLASH again.

I just got a brand new ASUS BW-16D1HT drive from Newegg and the manufacture date is February 2018 ... have not installed in my enclosure yet, but I am assuming that it definitely will have the 3.03 firmware and I will need to use Teddy's method and patch it with the 3.02 clean firmware. Now to find an old PC .. I live in a Mac household :-(
yes 3.02, thanks.
63TB unRAID1-49TB unRAID2-76TB unRAID3-56TB unRAID4-50TB unRAID5-50TB unRAID6-56TB unRAID7
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

aaronwt wrote:I just ordered this drive from Amazon since they have a $25 rebate.
You won't see that rebate. Trust me, already been there.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

SamuriHL wrote:
aaronwt wrote:I just ordered this drive from Amazon since they have a $25 rebate.
Why? .. ASUS didn't send you the rebate? How long has it been since you submitted the rebate? I've heard it takes sometimes 2 to 3 months to get these rebates from ASUS
aaronwt

Post by aaronwt »

SamuriHL wrote:
I've received rebates from Asus in the past without any issue. Hopefully I'll get this rebate. Especially since I ordered a second Asus BW-16D1HT last night from Newegg. Which saves me $5 since it's on sale and the 6% tax I had to pay Amazon.
63TB unRAID1-49TB unRAID2-76TB unRAID3-56TB unRAID4-50TB unRAID5-50TB unRAID6-56TB unRAID7
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

fljoemon wrote: Why? .. ASUS didn't send you the rebate? How long has it been since you submitted the rebate? I've heard it takes sometimes 2 to 3 months to get these rebates from ASUS
December. I even got email confirmation from them that I was going to get it. That was in January. I've given up even caring at this point but just know that I'm not the only one who never received it.
Last edited by SamuriHL on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

aaronwt wrote: I've received rebates from Asus in the past without any issue. Hopefully I'll get this rebate. Especially since I ordered a second Asus BW-16D1HT last night from Newegg. Which saves me $5 since it's on sale and the 6% tax I had to pay Amazon.
I truly hope you do. As I mentioned, I've not received mine even after they confirmed I was eligible (they tried the whole "you didn't fill it out right" game with me at first but that was nonsense and they knew it). So I don't hold much stock in ASUS rebates a this point.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

So I emailed ASUS about it and they're now telling me that I should receive the rebate in the next 14 days. We'll see how that goes. That would be nice if they did ship it to me!
darkedgex

Post by darkedgex »

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. So I jumped on the ASUS train and installed it in a new computer. Fired up Last Jedi and Fifth Element, both discs fail to open. Here's the info on the drive from makemkv:

Code: Select all

OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.01
Serial number: SIK93H5PA420
Firmware date: 2117-03-31 14:26: 
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 61
And here's the info from the log:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.12.1 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Bill\.MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_The_Last_Jedi_3357.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
Using direct disc access mode
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Bill\.MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_Fifth_Element_CBBF.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
I downloaded the updated key file and put it in the data directory as set in MakeMKV's preferences, firmware version appears to be 3.01 which from skimming this thread seems to be acceptable. Did I miss a step? =)

Suggestions or ideas welcome. =)
darkedgex

Post by darkedgex »

darkedgex wrote:Suggestions or ideas welcome. =)
Figured it out: the newer version apparently broke this, so I switched back to the next previous version.
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

darkedgex wrote:
darkedgex wrote:Suggestions or ideas welcome. =)
Figured it out: the newer version apparently broke this, so I switched back to the next previous version.
mike admin wrote:
hatesjetpacks wrote:That worked. I installed the old version along side the existing and now I can decrypt all five discs.
Sigh. Fixed in 1.12.2 - please update.
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

SamuriHL wrote:So I emailed ASUS about it and they're now telling me that I should receive the rebate in the next 14 days. We'll see how that goes. That would be nice if they did ship it to me!
I keep forgetting to send this in. I've got at least six lying around so I suppose if the first time failed I could try try again, lol.
darkedgex

Post by darkedgex »

I'm currently on 3.01 and when ripping Interstellar, it seems to run around 4.2x (18.4 M/s). Will upgrading to 3.02 help with speed? I also got an error the first time I tried to do this disc, and was wondering if it was because it was taking so long to rip it (the drive ran non-stop for over half an hour). I recall Exact Audio Copy would deliberately stop reading and let a drive cool for very long rips, I wonder if something like that might help here for slower drives/firmware?
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:So I emailed ASUS about it and they're now telling me that I should receive the rebate in the next 14 days. We'll see how that goes. That would be nice if they did ship it to me!
I keep forgetting to send this in. I've got at least six lying around so I suppose if the first time failed I could try try again, lol.
2 per household sent 2 since it was the last day for it.

found 4 more ASUS I'm picking them up tomorrow.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
LMAO! My advice if you're looking to get the rebate is to keep hounding them through each step until it's shipped. Apparently that's the only way they'll actually do it at least in my experience.