Are there any drives left with the right specs?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
SteveInNC

Are there any drives left with the right specs?

Post by SteveInNC »

I’m a little late to the party, I know. What are my chances of finding a drive with the correct firmware, specs, etc? Is anybody selling these ready to go? I don’t have time nor patience to do firmware flashes. If I do have to gamble on one, which drive would have the highest likelyhood of having correct specs? Thanks for any advice.
Joe333x

Re: Are there any drives left with the right specs?

Post by Joe333x »

SteveInNC wrote:I’m a little late to the party, I know. What are my chances of finding a drive with the correct firmware, specs, etc? Is anybody selling these ready to go? I don’t have time nor patience to do firmware flashes. If I do have to gamble on one, which drive would have the highest likelyhood of having correct specs? Thanks for any advice.
I can tell you not to get a Asus BW16DHT1 from Amazon, last one I ordered was already on 3.02, I did successfully downgrade it though.
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

I bought an Asus BW-16D1HT from ebuyer.com couple of weeks ago. Came with 3.01.

Looks like that drive has been discontinued though.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

SteveInNC wrote:I’m a little late to the party, I know. What are my chances of finding a drive with the correct firmware, specs, etc? Is anybody selling these ready to go? I don’t have time nor patience to do firmware flashes. If I do have to gamble on one, which drive would have the highest likelyhood of having correct specs? Thanks for any advice.
Private Message Sent!
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

It is pretty much a drive lottery now ... I got a LG WH16NS40 drive from Fry's Electronics that an forum member had suggested that worked right out of the box without any firmware downgrade. The other ASUS BW-16D1HT I ordered from Newegg had the 3.02 firmware that had pugged the AACS loophole and I had to downgrade the firmware to the correct 3.02 that still enabled the AACS loophole. So depends where you get the drive from and if they still have old stock etc. Else someone on this forum that have multiple drives and can spare one can sell you one :-)
Last edited by fljoemon on Wed May 02, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

Yes that would be me. I don't need 12 drives. Come one come all, buy them! And while you're at it, buy some other stuff I have :-)
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

fljoemon wrote:It is pretty much a drive lottery now ... I got a LG WH16NS40 drive from Fry's Electronics that Alex had suggested that worked right out of the box without any firmware downgrade. The other ASUS BW-16D1HT I ordered from Newegg had the 3.02 firmware that had pugged the AACS loophole and I had to downgrade the firmware to the correct 3.02 that still enabled the AACS loophole. So depends where you get the drive from and if they still have old stock etc. Else someone on this forum that have multiple drives and can spare one can sell you one :-)
Sir, how is that drive working for you, or is it working?
bbednarz

Post by bbednarz »

This may be a very basic question and not really pertain to this, but is this "drive lottery" referencing the ability to rip UHD movies only? If I was to get one of these drives would it still be able to rip standard blu-rays? I am thinking about getting the LG WH16NS40 drive that has been mentioned. I only plan to rip standard blu-rays and not UHD movies. Just want to check if its worth it or not.

Thanks
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

bbednarz wrote:This may be a very basic question and not really pertain to this, but is this "drive lottery" referencing the ability to rip UHD movies only? If I was to get one of these drives would it still be able to rip standard blu-rays? I am thinking about getting the LG WH16NS40 drive that has been mentioned. I only plan to rip standard blu-rays and not UHD movies. Just want to check if its worth it or not.

Thanks
Regular blu rays no problem. I did 50 blu rays over the weekend. It's the UHD part that's giving me problems.

Heck I've got a really nice Pioneer BDR-XD05B that's an external USB 3.0 device that rips blu rays with makemkv perfectly.

Please don't order anything without hitting me up first. I will not accept money for these unless they work for you!

Alex
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
fljoemon wrote:It is pretty much a drive lottery now ... I got a LG WH16NS40 drive from Fry's Electronics that Alex had suggested that worked right out of the box without any firmware downgrade. The other ASUS BW-16D1HT I ordered from Newegg had the 3.02 firmware that had pugged the AACS loophole and I had to downgrade the firmware to the correct 3.02 that still enabled the AACS loophole. So depends where you get the drive from and if they still have old stock etc. Else someone on this forum that have multiple drives and can spare one can sell you one :-)
The LG drive in my Vantec external enclosure is working great .. already ripped around 15 of my UHD 4K discs .. no problems with any of them. It is also very silent unlike some complaints I heard about the drive being noisy. Guess I got lucky.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

fljoemon wrote:
alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
The LG drive in my Vantec external enclosure is working great .. already ripped around 15 of my UHD 4K discs .. no problems with any of them. It is also very silent unlike some complaints I heard about the drive being noisy. Guess I got lucky.
This one right: https://www.frys.com/product/9098767?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

If so yes, that thing totally kicks ass. I'm sending mine off to a forum member right now, with a drive in it of course, lol. And going to be another one, or two. Man I'm happier than a pig in poop right now that you all figured out my problem :-)

I love this forum!
SteveInNC

Post by SteveInNC »

Just wanted to follow up on this. Alex (in this thread) sold me a WH16NS40 with firmware 1.02 at a very reasonable price (too cheap all things considered)). Plug & Play. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Alex!
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

SteveInNC wrote:Just wanted to follow up on this. Alex (in this thread) sold me a WH16NS40 with firmware 1.02 at a very reasonable price (too cheap all things considered)). Plug & Play. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Alex!
Awesome .. next time I am in the Bay Area, I am buying you a beer for your good heartedness :D
Last edited by fljoemon on Wed May 02, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B17NNS

Post by B17NNS »

What's going to happen when the supply of friendly drives finally dries up?
jgirot

Post by jgirot »

B17NNS wrote:What's going to happen when the supply of friendly drives finally dries up?
People can start cross-flashing. I personally have crossed my LG WH16NS60 (fw 1.00, svc code NS60) to a WH14NS40 fw 1.00 Hopefully in the future there will be other methods of flashing that will make it easier for people. And with a lot of hope this will be addressed in a way that avoids the firmware, but I have no idea how that could be possible so please don't think I know how.