No forced subtitles - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
mtnwatchdog

No forced subtitles - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Post by mtnwatchdog »

I need some help. I processed Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, selecting all English subtitle (inc forced) selections. When I play the movie, no subtitles appear which of course is required given all the sign language going on.

Is there an issue with the program (ver 1.12.0), or am I missing some other aspect of the program to actually force the subtitles on playback? Playback of the blu-ray automatically subtitles.

Playback is on my Oppo 103, and all the subtitle tracks are listed, but I have to actually select and activate the one I want to appear in the movie. Obviously not the best scenario.
Woodstock

Re: No forced subtitles - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Post by Woodstock »

The Oppo is probably playing the first subtitle track it finds, which is common for hardware players. If the subtitle track you want is there, you can use a tool like mkvmerge to re-order the subtitle tracks to put it first in line.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mtnwatchdog

Post by mtnwatchdog »

Ok, thanks, I'll look into that. BTW I tried playback using VLC and get the same result.

What's confusing though, for example, is with Atomic Blonde, subtitling is disabled, but English subtitles appear when she speaks Russian at the end of the movie. With Apes, subtitles are also disabled, but I have to actually select and make active a specific subtitle track (of four possible) to have the default subtitles appear.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Some movies will have the foreign audio subtitles burned into the movie. If there is no non-English audio track, this is more common.

(sometimes, you have the opposite - The TV series Shogun, for example, had a LOT of Japanese in it, but no subtitles. The audience was supposed to experience life as the main character, with no ability to understand what was being said to/about him. Unless, of course, you knew Japanese...)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging