UHD The Last Jedi failing at 27Gigs

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Krawk

Re: UHD The Last Jedi failing at 27Gigs

Post by Krawk »

goaliebob99 wrote:Just an update, exchanged out the disk and all of the issues I was having went away. Definitely, some bad disks pressed by Disney out in the wild.
A lot of vendors are producing their discs in the same crappy factory in Mexico. I've have hand prints on box sets from said factory.
rifer11

Post by rifer11 »

Regarding the suggestion to make a UHD disc backup by attempting to copy (multiple times) The Last Jedi to your hard drive, I've attempted this many times without success. I conclude the disc must have a defect, even though it plays in an Oppo. Nonetheless, can someone explain how this "repeated backup" scheme works? It's apparent the approach has worked for some folks...I'm trying to understand why or how it can work at all. Why would multiple reads of a defective file result in an acceptable copy being made?

thx
sippelmc

Post by sippelmc »

I have tried two diff discs at over 10 diff full backup attempts on my Asus drive. Very frustrated. I will do an exchange one more time....Has anyone found any new solutions or other tricks? I would be fine if it even hitched in playback at the read error spots - anyway to just let MakeMKV finish the job?
Kerwin

Post by Kerwin »

I have the opposite problem. I can rip it just fine, but I can't get it to play. I've ripped it three times already with no luck. Not sure getting another disc will make this any better.
charlie62

Post by charlie62 »

Try using dettol wipes,worked for me where everything else failed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Kerwin, if MakeMKV says it successfully ripped the movie, it should be playable... Unless your playback can't handle h.265 video or 7.1 audio. I've found that VLC does a very good imitation of a "bad file" when presented with h.265 on a machine without h.265 hardware acceleration.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging