Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
KBJghost

Re: UHD drives

Post by KBJghost »

paniyo wrote:so I do not know what you're asking me
sorry but I'm little put in this topic
I do not know exactly what you're asking me
I am a beginner
He's asking to know what the sticker on the underside of the drive case itself says, whether it's SVS Code NS50 or not. It's located in the far right lower corner.
Attachments
LG WHNN40-NS50-b.JPG
LG WHNN40-NS50-b.JPG (34.45 KiB) Viewed 33055 times
Last edited by KBJghost on Mon May 21, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deano86

Post by Deano86 »

paniyo wrote:I got LG BE16NU50.Version 1.02
makemkv tells me there is no disc
what am I missing
what am I doing wrong
Thank you

Nothing, except unfortunately you didn't do your homework.. .that particular drive will only work with firmware version 1.01.. not 1.02
giomania

Post by giomania »

TeddyRaspin wrote:Try this. Run the exe and select the firmware bin file (ASUS 3.02). :wink:
I am guessing this needs to be run in Windows 7 PE like the other utilities?

I have an LG WH14NS40, SVC Code: NS50, ROM Ver. 1.02 and was thinking to put the Asus 3.02 firmware on it to get the faster write times. According to my research, this drive is the same as the Asus BW-12B1STa

Thanks.

Mark
UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Linked Here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvYk8 ... EuF3y9qzwx
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
giomania

Post by giomania »

jonghotti wrote:
giomania wrote:
TeddyRaspin wrote:Try this. Run the exe and select the firmware bin file (ASUS 3.02). :wink:
I am guessing this needs to be run in Windows 7 PE like the other utilities?

I have an LG WH14NS40, SVC Code: NS50, ROM Ver. 1.02 and was thinking to put the Asus 3.02 firmware on it to get the faster write times. According to my research, this drive is the same as the Asus BW-12B1STa

Thanks.

Mark
Mark, is this drive currently working with makemkv as is?
Sorry, I just saw this. I have this drive in another computer, and I just downloaded MakeMKV and without loading any hashed keys, I popped in a UHD disk, and it read it.
UHD Read Result
UHD Read Result
UHD Result on Kitchen PC.png (72.86 KiB) Viewed 31679 times
I think I can anticipate what you are going to say...if it ain't broke...
UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Linked Here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvYk8 ... EuF3y9qzwx
giomania

Post by giomania »

I decided to run this last night on my LG WH14NS40, and it worked, but I received an error message that something (registry keys???) didn't match, and the drive would be placed in boot mode. However, when I ran MakeMKV, it showed the drive now as an Asus BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.02. I did notice the serial number reported by MakeMKV was different, but figured that was just due to the donor file.

Thank you for the helpful tools.

Mark
dwstudeman

Post by dwstudeman »

giomania wrote: Sorry, I just saw this. I have this drive in another computer, and I just downloaded MakeMKV and without loading any hashed keys, I popped in a UHD disk, and it read it.
UHD Result on Kitchen PC.png
I think I can anticipate what you are going to say...if it ain't broke...
That only shows that MakeMKV knows what the disc is not whether it can be decrypted or not. Any UHD friendly or Official drive will get that far.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I started a new job this week. One of my managers mentioned he was working at Fry's Electronics over 3 years ago and guys were coming in asking for specific optical drives of a certain make and vintage.

Has the whole UHD friendly thing been going on that long?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Umm.... no. A simple search would yield discussion/articles discussing the initial mass/popular successful roll out of all this back to fall 2017. With the first ever limited key leak around May 2017 if I recall correctly.

Another hint? Mike who started this very thread did not post his solution/thoughts in the very first post until Dec 2017.

Lastly, the first UHD BD released occurred in March 2016, so unless a bunch of nerds had a magical crystal time traveling computer (in this case nerds would not have use for a crystal ball IMO :wink: ) in 2014/2015 then common sense dictates that it was for other reasons or he/she is plainly lying.

However, do note that SOME of the friendly drives began to be manufactured all the way back in 2015, but was obviously unknown at the time that they had a loophole that would eventually be very beneficial to us in this matter.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

st4evr wrote:Umm.... no. A simple search would yield discussion/articles discussing the initial mass/popular successful roll out of all this back to fall 2017. With the first ever limited key leak around May 2017 if I recall correctly.

Another hint? Mike who started this very thread did not post his solution/thoughts in the very first post until Dec 2017.

Lastly, the first UHD BD released occurred in March 2016, so unless a bunch of nerds had a magical crystal time traveling computer (in this case nerds would not have use for a crystal ball IMO :wink: ) in 2014/2015 then common sense dictates that it was for other reasons or he/she is plainly lying.

However, do note that SOME of the friendly drives began to be manufactured all the way back in 2015, but was obviously unknown at the time that they had a loophole that would eventually be very beneficial to us in this matter.
Yeah I was going to write you directly since I knew you had the answer, for reals! Yeah I got the hints, and the memo, I understand the policy and it's not shipping out til Tuesday so it's not really a problem I simply made a mistake.

I've personally seen WH16NS40s with svc code ns50 manufactured in fall 2015 with rom ver. 1.00 so yeah you're totally right and I looked it up the spec for AACS 2.0 was released mid 2015 so perhaps prototyping software nerds or they were doing something with regular blu ray, he wasn't lying but can't be sure it was 4K UHD related. Have a nice day as always you are an endless source of good information thank you!!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829