100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
sirleepalot

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by sirleepalot »

xmenw wrote:Does anyone know for the Asus BC-12D2HT, which drives firmware can be cross-flashed to bring to read UHD dics, as mine is on 3.01 and not reading UHD dics.
sirleepalot wrote:I have gone through the Windows method for generating a dump file for my Asus BW-16D1HT but when I open the eeprom data mover.exe and try to select the dump file I created with DosFlash, it says "Incorrect firmware file." I created another file with a different name just to double check with the same results. Any suggestions?
Did you rename the file with the .bin extension? I missed that the first time.
I didn't have to rename it. It automatically created a .bin file. Did you have a different experience?
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

sirleepalot wrote:
xmenw wrote:Does anyone know for the Asus BC-12D2HT, which drives firmware can be cross-flashed to bring to read UHD dics, as mine is on 3.01 and not reading UHD dics.
sirleepalot wrote:I have gone through the Windows method for generating a dump file for my Asus BW-16D1HT but when I open the eeprom data mover.exe and try to select the dump file I created with DosFlash, it says "Incorrect firmware file." I created another file with a different name just to double check with the same results. Any suggestions?
Did you rename the file with the .bin extension? I missed that the first time.
I didn't have to rename it. It automatically created a .bin file. Did you have a different experience?
I did, but I ended up using the clean firmware files in the end.
sirleepalot

Post by sirleepalot »

xmenw wrote:
For clarification's sake, are you saying that you can skip creating the dump of the current firmware on the drive and just use the download link on the forum? Because I read that it is extremely risky to do that.
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

sirleepalot wrote:
xmenw wrote:
For clarification's sake, are you saying that you can skip creating the dump of the current firmware on the drive and just use the download link on the forum? Because I read that it is extremely risky to do that.
Sorry no I didn't mean that. You have to download your rom first, and then the 2nd time you can use the clean firmware, it takes info from your rom, and puts it in the clean rom.
sirleepalot

Post by sirleepalot »

xmenw wrote:

Sorry no I didn't mean that. You have to download your rom first, and then the 2nd time you can use the clean firmware, it takes info from your rom, and puts it in the clean rom.
Okay, that's what I thought. I am trying to understand what I could have done wrong in creating the initial bin since the data mover will not accept it. If I can't figure this out, I am really hoping that foolproof method other members have mentioned drops soon.
mgibsoni

Post by mgibsoni »

Is there a no other way to downgrade the firmware? I just bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT with the 3.02 Firmware. My motherboard doesn't support IDE. I'll double check again but I didn't see that option.
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

mgibsoni wrote:Is there a no other way to downgrade the firmware? I just bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT with the 3.02 Firmware. My motherboard doesn't support IDE. I'll double check again but I didn't see that option.
I did it using an older laptop, in its bios it had a 'compatibility mode' for its sata hdd, which is IDE on sata. SInce you can boot with the Win 7 USB in op, I unplugged the HDD, and connected my disc drive using a sata extension cable available on amazon ~$5. Its not a simple way and you still need a not so new laptop, but thats one way to do it. I have done this with 2 drives using that old laptop.
mgibsoni

Post by mgibsoni »

xmenw wrote:
mgibsoni wrote:Is there a no other way to downgrade the firmware? I just bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT with the 3.02 Firmware. My motherboard doesn't support IDE. I'll double check again but I didn't see that option.
I did it using an older laptop, in its bios it had a 'compatibility mode' for its sata hdd, which is IDE on sata. SInce you can boot with the Win 7 USB in op, I unplugged the HDD, and connected my disc drive using a sata extension cable available on amazon ~$5. Its not a simple way and you still need a not so new laptop, but thats one way to do it. I have done this with 2 drives using that old laptop.
thanks. I have an older PC in the basement, maybe I will try to piece it together enough to try this out.
TechMan21

Post by TechMan21 »

If anyone is looking for LG WH16NS40 drives brand new with 2018 manufacture date downgrade from 1.03 to 1.02 or cross flashed to ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.01 as they say the read speed is faster, I have them for sale $85 including shipping. I can also do the ASUS BW-16D1HT drives as well but the LG's are more affordable with the same parts
TechMan21

Post by TechMan21 »

Also If you have your own drive and need it downgraded, I can do it for $25
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

TechMan21

Post by TechMan21 »

It's funny you say that because on my other post you tried to sell them yourself smh, Also if you read the forums those drives you speak of are hard to come by new without spending an arm and a leg on new, screw him I was just trying to help out the community for people who didn't have the equipment or time to do it themselves before they change the drive again, anyway I will tell you guys how to do it free on your on with the right motherboard and version of windows, very simple opposed to some of the instructions on here but don't get me wrong you guys instructions helped alot for me to find an easier way, will post soon
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »