Ripping multiple discs at once?

Everything related to MakeMKV
indyjoe1977

Ripping multiple discs at once?

Post by indyjoe1977 »

So, to save some time, it would be handy to be able to queue up discs to rip...meaning, one drive after another. I have three optical drives in my machine, and it would be slick to just set them all up to go. Or, being able to run multiple instances of the program at once would do the same thing, and then all three drives could rip at once. Is this a feature set that can be added at all?
d00zah

Re: Ripping multiple discs at once?

Post by d00zah »

Check 'Options > IO > Ask for single drive mode' & you can specify a specific drive for each instance of MakeMKV.
indyjoe1977

Post by indyjoe1977 »

Excellent. Thank you. Took a second to realize how it would work, but that's exactly what I was after. Thank you.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Most welcome. Mike takes good care of us... enjoy.
petersh

Post by petersh »

I don't know I can rip multi with Makemkv
I try to follow suggestions on this topic, it works but makes my computer really heavy slow
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

petersh wrote:I don't know I can rip multi with Makemkv
I try to follow suggestions on this topic, it works but makes my computer really heavy slow
Old, slow hardware? Multiple I/O streams to the system drive? You REALLY need to provide more detail than you have.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I can run three instances of MakeMKV running a drive each, AND run handbrake for encoding. Handbrake in that case is 90+% of the CPU usage, while MakeMKV is 90% of the network usage.

Even my old 2GHz 2-core Celeron machine managed ripping 2 disks at once, at less than 20% CPU load.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
indyjoe1977

Post by indyjoe1977 »

Yeah, really, all MakeMKV is doing once the decryption is done is copying what you select from the optical drive to the hard drive you select. This is not CPU intensive at all. Doing three at a time is in the single digit CPU usage percentage for me. Now, let the PC start converting those files with DVDFab, and it's a whole 'nother story...especially UHD files.
bvrulez

Post by bvrulez »

I did ripping with two drives often with my Linux system. Now I tried the same on a Windows laptop with a built in DVD and a second external one. Something strange happens when I try this: One instance of the program is working with a DVD and when I put the disk into the other drive then Windows tells me that I should place a DVD into the drive and ejects it. So basically, once I started two instances of MakeMKV by starting the program twice, my DVD slots stop working. I have to restart the laptop to beeing able to read ANY disk with the drives then.

EDIT: It seems that I solved the problem by using the "ask for single drive mode" option which was discussed here. Thanks!
bvrulez

Post by bvrulez »

Well, I am not sure that worked. I don't get the Windows message any more but the second drive is not working any more. It seems like it crashed while reading the disk. I was able to eject the disk manually and the GUI still showed the startup spinning process.
jscott14

Post by jscott14 »

I've been able to rip as many as FIVE discs at once! One DVD, 3 blu rays, and one UHD BD. I just have to be sure to insert all 5 discs and let them "handshake" with Windows/MakeMKV before I open a specific disc on each instance of the app. It's pretty cool to to see my SSD running at 100% write speed sustained while it's ripping. 8)
K2jlb

Post by K2jlb »

Really need sequential ripping added. I 10 DVD drives and 8 Bluray drives. Opening 18 instances of Make MKV is too much. I'm on a threadripper and it can handle it but even with 3 monitors, its too much to manage. I used to use Leawo Professional Media and it would do this so I know it can be done. I'd have no problem paying for this functionality. Leawo won't run on Linux. There is a youtube video on how use external software to make Make MKV sequential rip multiple drives butI doubt it will work on Linux... Manjaro to be exact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3kWtldVYY
Smartie31

Post by Smartie31 »

I can only agree to k2jlb - a feature to sequentially rip DVD or *.ISO files would be great. I have around 3000 *.iso files. Recorded on a Sony HDD/DVD Recorder, copied on disc and from disc to PC. I would now like to 'extract' the raw films from the ISO-files to view it on a Media player. At the moment I am using the Wondershare Ultimate Video Converter, it is a great piece of software, but it converts and does not copy 'losless'. Thats how I found makemkv. The idea is great. There are just 2 things I am missing: a batch mode to add more than 1 file to process, and the possibility to give an individual filename to the output. As the DVD is generated by the Sony HDD Recorder, all DVD are named equally. If makemkv would be enabled to rip ISO files directly as well, you could simply use the file name.