Not all m2ts files getting recognized by MakeMKV

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Starima

Not all m2ts files getting recognized by MakeMKV

Post by Starima »

Hi!

First of all I hope I'm in the right sub forum for my problem. Sorry if I'm not!

As the title already implies, some of the m2ts files on the blu-ray aren't recognized and thus not ripped.
As this picture https://imgur.com/P0AKi0w shows, there are 12 m2ts files in total, but MakeMKV only gets 9 out of it as this picture https://imgur.com/kbDQelX shows.
To be specific, it seems to overlook 08, 09 and 11.

Since this is an anime blu-ray, every extra file (like textless opening & ending, etc) is important to me.
I already ripped the disc once, but when checking all files I noticed some things are missing, like the textless opening. Therefore I'm pretty sure this isn't how it's supposed to be.

Also, I might wanna add that I already turned the minimum title length down to 0.

If there's any way to solve this, I'd very much appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!
Woodstock

Re: Not all m2ts files getting recognized by MakeMKV

Post by Woodstock »

As I understand it, MakeMKV looks at the play list files to determine which M2TS files are used for what.

In fact, if you look at the info window, it shows that it is loading the play lists.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Incidentally, Aniplex disks are rarely complicated in their layout. While I don't have any from that series, I have a number of other Aniplex titles.

The .mpls files are your "main" features, and you will likely see that they are constructed out of multiple segments from several m2ts files.
Starima

Post by Starima »

So just to be sure: everything works as intended and nothing is gone missing then? The textless opening in my case isn't there to begin with?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Without ripping the title myself, I cannot say with 100% certainty. But the "Extras", like Japanese commercials and textless open/close, tend to be on the LAST disk with Aniplex.
Starima

Post by Starima »

I just noticed: if you look at picture 2, you'll see that MakeMKV uses both, the playlist (.mpls) AND the m2ts files, but not all of either of those.
Is this really how it's supposed to be?

Happens with non-Aniplex Blu-Rays as well, btw.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

As a guess, if M2TS files are included in a play list, MakeMKV will prefer the play list. The episode file is made up of multiple M2TS files, but most extras are single M2TS files.
Starima

Post by Starima »

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks!

One last question: so a playlist is basically 2 or more m2ts files merged into one?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My understanding of this is superficial, because it's one of those things that are known to those who need to know it, and I'm not one of those who needs to know. :)

But a play list can assemble multiple parts into one "video". An example is a Disney movie, which has play lists for English, French, and Spanish, where they play an opening sequence that is common to all, a title sequence that is language specific, the middle of the movie that is common to all, credits that are language specific, and trailers that are common to all.

Some animes do something similar - all episodes are in one file, but the opening and closing are NOT in that file, but separate files.

You may see a message during a rip about "analyzing seamless branching"... That's MakeMKV deciding which M2TS files are need to be construct the title.