Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
bigcat

Re: Asus BW-16D1HT Firmware

Post by bigcat »

Is there a step by step guide to update from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2. I've read the entire thread and keep seeing .bin and .exe files being posted but I have no clue on how to use these files.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

bigcat wrote:Is there a step by step guide to update from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2. I've read the entire thread and keep seeing .bin and .exe files being posted but I have no clue on how to use these files.
1. Google

2. If it ain't broken. Don’t try to fix it. By now I have seen way too many people say “I don’t know how any of this works” and in an attempt to update firmware brick the drive or lose UHD functionality. Sounds like you have a drive that is all set to go. If you have read this entire thread and still have no clue then my suggestion is to leave it as is.
fljoemon

Post by fljoemon »

SamuriHL wrote:
alexcoluzzi32 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:So I emailed ASUS about it and they're now telling me that I should receive the rebate in the next 14 days. We'll see how that goes. That would be nice if they did ship it to me!
I keep forgetting to send this in. I've got at least six lying around so I suppose if the first time failed I could try try again, lol.
LMAO! My advice if you're looking to get the rebate is to keep hounding them through each step until it's shipped. Apparently that's the only way they'll actually do it at least in my experience.
Dang .. freaking ASUS strikes again ... They just emailed me that my rebate was declined as they had not received my UPC barcode & serial number. They also posted a link to all the documentation they received and in that it clearly shows the UPC barcode and serial number that I had cut off the cardboard box. I replied back to them and will now need to call them on Monday. What a PITA to get back my $25 which I followed everything they had stated to claim the rebate.

@SamuriHL ... thanks for the heads up on not relying on ASUS to follow up on their rebates. I will hound them like you did and hopefully will get my rebate.
Scotty1928

Post by Scotty1928 »

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to bring my Asus Drive back to 3.0.0 with the instructions provided here. However, i am failing all the time with Dosflash. It seems that i am unable to install the portio sys files because of the driver sign enforcement stuff, and i somehow are unable to disable it. I tried it with the Testsigning mode, and i tried it via disabling driver sign enforcement in the boot menus. both did not work multiple times :( It seems that my windows version is just "too up to date"

What would you suggest? Do you need any additional information?
GazzaC

Post by GazzaC »

Use the portable Win 7 version - https://archive.org/details/Windows7LiveCD
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

fljoemon wrote: Dang .. freaking ASUS strikes again ... They just emailed me that my rebate was declined as they had not received my UPC barcode & serial number. They also posted a link to all the documentation they received and in that it clearly shows the UPC barcode and serial number that I had cut off the cardboard box. I replied back to them and will now need to call them on Monday. What a PITA to get back my $25 which I followed everything they had stated to claim the rebate.

@SamuriHL ... thanks for the heads up on not relying on ASUS to follow up on their rebates. I will hound them like you did and hopefully will get my rebate.
I actually just received mine in the mail yesterday so if you keep on it, they WILL eventually honor it. But their standard practice is to decline it and see if you'll follow up. Then it'll be "oh, hey we magically received the missing items as soon as you emailed us" LOL. Just keep on it and they'll come through. Weird process but probably saves them money as 90% won't follow up on it.
hambletw

Post by hambletw »

So, Just received my BW-16D1HT. Makemkv is showing that the installed firmware is 3.03. Anyone know if this can be downgraded to 3.01 or 3.02?

Thanks
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

hambletw wrote:So, Just received my BW-16D1HT. Makemkv is showing that the installed firmware is 3.03. Anyone know if this can be downgraded to 3.01 or 3.02?

Thanks
There is literally a whole thread about it two posts down from this one. Here is a quick link:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 16&t=17058
LuisP

Post by LuisP »

I need advice and help. I have the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive that came with the 3.02 firmware and am trying to downgrade it to 3.01.

1. I successfully dumped the 3.02 firmware using DOSFlash 32_BHILNS40.exe.

2. Then, when I try to use the BHILNS40 EEPROM Data Mover v 0.0.1.exe, to combine the data from the two firmware files, I get a repeated error. The problem goes like this: first, (a) I successfully load the dumped 3.02 firmware, then (b) when I attempt to load the ASUS_BW-16D1HT3.01.bin, I get an error message stating "Incorrect firmeware file", and the EEPROM Data Mover program aborts.

3. I can't use the manual version because the program will not allow me to save the combined firmware file.

Does anyone have a suggestion, or can someone combine the two firmware files for me if I sent them to him/her?

Thanks,

Luis
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

You need a 'clean' firmware to copy calibration data to... see instructions here. You are looking for 'flash_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.01.bin', contained in the referenced 'Clean_NS50_compatible_firmwares.7z' archive.

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php ... 582#p63413
Kazzor7492

Post by Kazzor7492 »

Hey guys, just wanted to quickly share my experiences with this drive for more people who might get in this situation. I purchased a BW-16D1HT with manufacture date something like 2018-01-xx and it came with firmware 3.02 which should theoretically work. I only own a single UHD blu ray disc (The Revenant) which I only purchased for testing purposes at the time the first keys were leaked.

MakeMKV couldn't read the disc. It "tried to spin" and after a few seconds the disc was ejected. I tried to downgrade the firmware with the tutorial by TeddyRaspin but unfortunately I had troubles with it. I guess I'm just too stupid... :roll:

I went the easier way and ordered another one in the hope of getting an older model and I was lucky just with the next one. My drive now is from 2017-09-21 and it came with firmware 3.01 and my UHD blu ray worked just fine with MakeMKV. I'm very happy now and will never give this drive away :lol:
annisman

Post by annisman »

What's up guys, anybody here who has successfully flashed their BW-16 FW please PM me, I'm looking to send mine out to get flashed (way too advanced for me) and I'll compensate fairly of course.
Chipless

Post by Chipless »

annisman wrote:What's up guys, anybody here who has successfully flashed their BW-16 FW please PM me, I'm looking to send mine out to get flashed (way too advanced for me) and I'll compensate fairly of course.
Please let me know if you find someone, I'm in the same boat, and since I have a laptop, have no way of flashing the drive even if my knowledge was adequate. Also waiting to hear about some factory drives with the correct firmware from the factory.
annisman

Post by annisman »

Chipless wrote:
annisman wrote:What's up guys, anybody here who has successfully flashed their BW-16 FW please PM me, I'm looking to send mine out to get flashed (way too advanced for me) and I'll compensate fairly of course.
Please let me know if you find someone, I'm in the same boat, and since I have a laptop, have no way of flashing the drive even if my knowledge was adequate. Also waiting to hear about some factory drives with the correct firmware from the factory.
Will let you know what happens bud.
richdmoore

Post by richdmoore »

I am looking to send my drive out for flashing service as well, if anyone is providing that service. (I had a proper Asus drive with 3.01, but it broke and was replaced under warranty from Asus with a new drive with updated 3.03 firmware.)

Unfortunately, I am using a iMac with an external USB interface, so can't flash the drive myself.

I am located in Oregon for anyone who can help.