The program can't find any usable optical drives

Everything related to MakeMKV
doofesohr

The program can't find any usable optical drives

Post by doofesohr »

Hello,

this is my first post - and I wanted to start with something positive: I really really like this program and do not regret to have spend money on it.

Now to my problem:
I'm using an internal Pioneer Bluray Drive which worked fine while working internally (to be done: retesting that).
Since I changed my case the drive doesnt fit in anymore. I just used to hang out some cables out of the open sidepanel whenever I bought a new blu ray and wanted to rip it.
But those cables are in use now and I wanted a better solution: I bought a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter of amazon.de which arrived today. The adapter itself seems to be working properly, I can access discs and even copy data from them. I can see all the files on the bluray in the explorer.

It's even listed as a DVD/CD-ROM-Drive called "PIONEER BD-RW BDR-208D USB Device" in the device manager.
Problem persists on a PC with i7-2600k, 16GB RAM, Z77Board and several hdds running with the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview and also a freshly setup Laptop with Windows Build 1511 and all the newest updates.

Does anyone have a clue where the problem might be?

Greetings

doofesohr
SamuriHL

Re: The program can't find any usable optical drives

Post by SamuriHL »

Try running MakeMKV as an admin.
doofesohr

Post by doofesohr »

Does not help. :(
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV makes a call to Windows asking about optical drives. If Windows says there are none, that's what MakeMKV reports.

The usual things I'd suggest (unplugging and replugging the drive, resetting the machine), you've already done, if you've been moving the drive between machines.

If you have VLC installed, does the drive show up as a choice when you hit Ctrl-D (open device) ?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
caleyd

Post by caleyd »

Hi, I have this problem with two different USB drives. The solution I found, which is rather a nuisance, is to uninstall and reinstall MakeMKV and when the installer finishes, make sure you check off Run MakeMKV now. It then finds the drive and as long as I leave the program running, it will work. As soon as the program is closed it won't be able to find the drive again so you have to do the uninstall reinstall thing.
androcles

Post by androcles »

I don't know which setting fixed it, but after making 2 changes, I got MakeMKV to find my drives.

In the BIOS, I set the SATA connection of the drive to IDE mode.

In the Device Manager -> DVD/CD-ROM drives -> right click on drive, Properties -> DVD Region tab -> set DVD drive to your region.

My drive was new and no region was set previously.
hmedney

Post by hmedney »

caleyd wrote:Hi, I have this problem with two different USB drives. The solution I found, which is rather a nuisance, is to uninstall and reinstall MakeMKV and when the installer finishes, make sure you check off Run MakeMKV now. It then finds the drive and as long as I leave the program running, it will work. As soon as the program is closed it won't be able to find the drive again so you have to do the uninstall reinstall thing.
Ran into the same issue, and this has been the only workaround that works so far. May I kindly request a fix or other solution? Thanks
Bob-E

Post by Bob-E »

Adding my experience to aid testing/development.
I am having this issue too. The reinstall and run immediately fix works. After restarting the program, it returns to net finding any usable drives.
However, the drive plays the DVD (tested using VLC), can be navigated using File Explorer, and will open in MakeMKV if you select Open Manually.
Mike, if I can help with diagnostics/testing/whatever, I'll be very happy to.
Many thanks for your great software!
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

im in the same boat as everyone else,i have yet to try the uninstall/reinstall with the make mkv software,but i have the same symptoms with my Blu-ray drive.I have no problems with my standard dvd drive.I am not sure what i should do i hear that many people are struggling with this.I would be happy to provide screenshots ,diagnostic data, if mike wants it.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

+1 for this.

Makemkv working wonderfully until latest round of Win10 updates. Same error on more than one machine - one with Win10 Home, one with Win10 Pro. Running as administrator doesn't make any difference for me.

All other DVD ripping programs I have are working fine e.g DVD Shrink.

Looks like MS have altered something and MakeMKV isn't able to cope with the changes.

Great piece of software but would like to have it usable again.

Thanks
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

i just wanted to add i plugged in my non uhd drive the LG14bnu i dont know if i spelled that right but it works fine can read drive burn regular blu ray discs and read from regular blurays as well.I dont really want to speculate too much but it may be related to drive type.It could be a DRM fix for windows 10 as well. any way i think i will just have to wait and see what happens next.keep up the good work everyone.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Bump

Any progress with this issue, please?
Sourhead85

Post by Sourhead85 »

Hi all,

I have been a MakeMKV user for close to a year maybe now, ripping dvd and Bluray movies and tv series with no issues until just a few days ago and now it tells me it cant see the optical drives. I have a dvd and bluray drive both. I have used both many times. I have version 1.10.10 x64 on and it just all of a sudden didnt want to work anymore. I updated to 1.12.2 and still nothing, and even tried to go back to version that worked. Nothing.

Any help would be great since I bought this software, I love it (when it worked)

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Sourhead85

Post by Sourhead85 »

DEBUG: Code 3221225506 at ]p8h%iw6q@=GL92,:29403613
DEBUG: Code 3221225506 at ]p8h%iw6q@=GL92,:29403613

I have tried to contact support directly but I am unsure if they will answer.
p-richard

Post by p-richard »

Looks like this one died out a few months ago. I've got the problem now. Tried several of the fixes described: Reinstall and run (nope), reinstall older version (nope), see the drive in explorer (Win 10 (64)) so reinstalled in 64 bit folder (nope). Happened right after the last update for me.

Hopefully this will re-fire the topic. Did anyone solve this or did you all give up?