Streaming server won't start

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
chcaouette

Streaming server won't start

Post by chcaouette »

Hello,

I've recently updated my computer to Ubuntu 18.04, starting from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I try to play a blu ray disc by streaming it from MakeMKV to VLC, but unfortunately for me, it doesn't work: MakeMKV just says "Streaming server stopped", event though it never started the streaming server.

It used to work; whenever we'd buy a new disk and wanted to watch it right away, I would just pop it in the tray, start MakeMKV and stream to VLC. But now it gives me the popup about the UPNP streaming server being an obsolete feature that will get removed, and it doesn't start the server. I just tried it on my Windows computer; the popup also appears, but the server starts anyway and I can stream to VLC. But my Windows box is in the office, the Linux box is the HTPC...

I'm using version 1.12.3 of MakeMKV, computer is Ubuntu 18.04, and yes I did try disabling the firewall before posting. I'd be grateful for any kind of advice, otherwise we just lost our BluRay player...

Regards,
Christiane
dylif

Re: Streaming server won't start

Post by dylif »

Same problem here on a clean install of Ubuntu 18.04; just installed MakeMKV successfully today. Blu-ray reads, but attempting to open a stream gives me notice that its obsolete and a link to a web page which doesn't yet exist. Really wondering what to do here, as I came to MakeMKV for its streaming capabilities.
Jpcari

Post by Jpcari »

Same problem with Ubuntu 16.04.5 and version 1.12.3....

I reinstalled version 1.12.2. Streaming works !
mf222

Post by mf222 »

Exact same situation here; good to know that I'm not the only one encountering this.
dylif

Post by dylif »

Jpcari wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:52 am
Same problem with Ubuntu 16.04.5 and version 1.12.3....

I reinstalled version 1.12.2. Streaming works !
I was wondering where I can download the 1.12.2 version to try it out. Any ideas?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

chcaouette wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:13 pm
But now it gives me the popup about the UPNP streaming server being an obsolete feature that will get removed, and it doesn't start the server.
Unfortunately, this is true. Any reason you are using UPNP streaming instead of direct VLC playback? The UPNP streaming was not updated in a quite long time and was unreliable, so it is scheduled to be removed. Please describe your scenario, I am surprised that people still use this feature.
RayGilette

Post by RayGilette »

Just noticed it as well. I have the discs of my TV shows ripped to a NAS so I can easily play it on my FireTV using Kodi. I just noticed though that I must've accidentally skipped a disc since I miss a few episodes.
Wanted to continue watching by using the UPNP server which worked great in the past to not have to wait for ripping to finish - only to notice it's disabled. Too bad :-(.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 pm
Please describe your scenario, I am surprised that people still use this feature.
i do still use this also i use it to play check UHD disks after flashing drives so i dont have to do a whole rip to see if stuff is ok.
is a virtual drive feasible replacement that would work for me anyway
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Jpcari

Post by Jpcari »

Streaming, I don't care actually.
Streaming was the single way with SMplayer as the latter used to be a better player than VLC on configurations with nvidia gpus.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

RayGilette wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:23 pm
Just noticed it as well. I have the discs of my TV shows ripped to a NAS so I can easily play it on my FireTV using Kodi. I just noticed though that I must've accidentally skipped a disc since I miss a few episodes.
Wanted to continue watching by using the UPNP server which worked great in the past to not have to wait for ripping to finish - only to notice it's disabled. Too bad :-(.
The real feature you are describing "need to watch while copying". it is possible with blu-ray - just start the decrypted backup to nas, and play the (partial) m2ts file - pretty much everything would accept partial file and play flawlessly while the file is updated.

currently MakeMKV locks MKV file so it is unusable till very end. There was idea (for a long time) to make MKV files watchable while MakeMKV still updates them. But this is sort of useless for blu-ray and UHD (as backup option is easier).
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:14 am
i do still use this also i use it to play check UHD disks after flashing drives so i dont have to do a whole rip to see if stuff is ok.
is a virtual drive feasible replacement that would work for me anyway
Same thing - start a backup. If MakeMKV complains about hashcheck - then there is a problem. if not - then copy is guaranteed to be accurate, but if you still want to verify - M2TS file should be playable while it is backing up.
chcaouette

Post by chcaouette »

mike admin wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 pm
chcaouette wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:13 pm
But now it gives me the popup about the UPNP streaming server being an obsolete feature that will get removed, and it doesn't start the server.
Unfortunately, this is true. Any reason you are using UPNP streaming instead of direct VLC playback? The UPNP streaming was not updated in a quite long time and was unreliable, so it is scheduled to be removed. Please describe your scenario, I am surprised that people still use this feature.
We hooked a Linux tower into our living room TV. We use it to watch Netflix, Tou.tv, DVDs, etc.: we don't have cable tv anymore, and we're not missing it. Up until now I never had much problems with the setup, we could watch just about anything. I used to have the aacs library with a keydb.cfg file which contained the VUKs I needed for all my blu rays. I would use MakeMKV to decode on the fly and use the streaming server with VLC when there was a disc for which I was missing the key. This did not happen very often... but it happened this summer.

I've been using the VLC direct playback ever since I had the problem, but some of my blu rays seem not to like it. The menus don't start, hence the movie doesn't start... Quite a few of my DVDs have problems as well: they crash a few minutes into the movie. MakeMKV says something about Linux kernel error: it can rip the DVD to a file, just not play it on the fly.

So I don't absolutely need to have the streaming server, it's just that I don't want to have to rip my blu rays as well as my DVDs... and MakeMKV (which is a great program, by the way) is pretty much the only option to play blu rays on Linux.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

chcaouette wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 am
I used to have the aacs library with a keydb.cfg file which contained the VUKs I needed for all my blu rays. I would use MakeMKV to decode on the fly and use the streaming server with VLC when there was a disc for which I was missing the key.
The streaming server in MakeMKV was just a cusom and rather buggy UPNP streaming server. It was very valuable before libmmbd was available, but now its value is doubtful.

For any case when libaacs worked for you, you can achieve the same with libmmbd.

If you still need UPNP server - Kodi works with libmmbd, is free and works everywhere. Kodi (for streaming) plus libmmbd (for decryption) is much better solution than MakeMKV builtin streaming server.
mf222

Post by mf222 »

So the streaming server is not coming back? I don't care about the UPnP feature, but the local webinterface was all I used MakeMKV for - my media center is a Raspberry Pi and I used the MakeMKV streaming server to stream Blu Rays from my desktop PC to Kodi.

Really to bad, I planned to purchase MakeMKV but now I don't have a reason too - I really don't get why this useful feature had to be removed.

Edit: For anyone else with this problem, 1.12.2 can be downloaded here: https://www.videohelp.com/download/Setu ... 1.12.2.exe