"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Everything related to MakeMKV
ikomrad

"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Post by ikomrad » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 am

After I inserted the John Wick (2014) blu-ray and click on the disk icon to decrypt it, so saw this error in the output / log section -

"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed"

However , makemkv continued to process the disc, listed the titles, and even highlighted the probably main title as "FPL_MAINFEATURE".

I checked "Preferences->General" and downloading updates from the web server is enabled. What is the web server hostname? I have pi-hole and pfBlockerNG running to filter DNS requests. I can check their logs to see if they blocked it. I found requests for makemkv.com which were allowed, so we are good for that domain :)

Is it a serious problem that I should look at fixing? I don't know what SDF is so some context would be helpful.

Software info:
MakeMKV: 1.12.3
Java: 1.8.101

mike admin

Re: "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Post by mike admin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:58 pm

ikomrad wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 am
What is the web server hostname? I have pi-hole and pfBlockerNG running to filter DNS requests.
Is there any way to white-list entire MakeMKV? I short, it can use any DNS address and it can change at any time.
ikomrad wrote:
Is it a serious problem that I should look at fixing? I don't know what SDF is so some context would be helpful.
It is still a little secret, but having this file is good for you. You can always download SDF.bin manually from http://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin and put it into MakeMKV data directory. On next launch MakeMKV will consume the file and shut up.

ikomrad

Re: "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Post by ikomrad » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:07 am

mike admin wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:58 pm
ikomrad wrote:
What is the web server hostname? I have pi-hole and pfBlockerNG running to filter DNS requests.
Is there any way to white-list entire MakeMKV? I short, it can use any DNS address and it can change at any time.
ikomrad wrote:
It is still a little secret, but having this file is good for you. You can always download SDF.bin manually from http://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin and put it into MakeMKV data directory. On next launch MakeMKV will consume the file and shut up.
You can whitelist top level domain, subdomain. So if Makemkv buys a new domain and switches to it, you'll need to update the whitelist on pi-hole. Domains cost money to register and renew, so I wouldn't think MakeMkv would change domains often.