Post by jonghotti »

Thank you Josh.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jonghotti

Email alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com

Post by jonghotti »

[/quote]

I am interested in one of these drives. Doesn't seem to be a way to PM you directly on these forums.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Thank you!
Best way to reach me is through email.
alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com not easy to respond quickly during business hours but I’m up until 3am every night so 5pm PST until 3am PST I’ll respond quickly.

I do have twitter
@alexcoluzzi
But I’m not sure I’ve ever received a tweet so ymmv

Facebook messenger that’s a good one yeah try that I’m Alex Coluzzi

**LG Internal Blu-ray Drive Ultra HD Blu-Ray Playback & M-DISC™ Support** crossflashed to ASUS BW-16D1HT for the 8X rip rate provided by the superior ASUS firmware running on a drive that has the official logo of Ultra HD Blu Ray printed on the bezel, available now until the 81 units left in stock are history at a ridiculously low price hit me up.
Retched1

Re: Email alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com

Post by Retched1 »

jonghotti wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 am
I am interested in one of these drives. Doesn't seem to be a way to PM you directly on these forums.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Thank you!
Best way to reach me is through email.
alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com not easy to respond quickly during business hours but I’m up until 3am every night so 5pm PST until 3am PST I’ll respond quickly.

I do have twitter
@alexcoluzzi
But I’m not sure I’ve ever received a tweet so ymmv

Facebook messenger that’s a good one yeah try that I’m Alex Coluzzi

**LG Internal Blu-ray Drive Ultra HD Blu-Ray Playback & M-DISC™ Support** crossflashed to ASUS BW-16D1HT for the 8X rip rate provided by the superior ASUS firmware running on a drive that has the official logo of Ultra HD Blu Ray printed on the bezel, available now until the 81 units left in stock are history at a ridiculously low price hit me up.
[/quote]

I sent you an email, hope to get a drive from you. So I won't have to guess that it is correct then!
jonghotti

Re: UHD drives

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgrobins

Post by mgrobins »

Hey folks,

writing from Australia and interested in some quick answers to a few things having trolled as much of this thread as I can....

1. Is the current scenario using UHD Friendly BR drives an interim situation until MakeMKV and UHD drives become aligned? i.e. If I don't *need* a UHD drive just yet (my projector is only 1080p and I rent BR discs only... no UHD titles avail to rent yet) will waiting be ok and just get a UHD drive later?

I'm mounting in a PC mid tower not external enclosure.

2. In the event that UHD Friendly is essential and UHD drives will never work with MakeMKV… is this drive acceptable? :
LG drive - https://www.umart.com.au/LG-BH16NS55-Bl ... 5707G.html
or
Asus drive - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/402 ... ical-drive
(I can also get the BW pro version of this asus drive).

The LG is local and therefore cheaper sans shipping.... not sure which is better though :).

Cheers!
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

mgrobins wrote:Hey folks,

writing from Australia and interesuted in some quick answers to a few things having trolled as muhch of this thread as I can....

1. Is the current scenario using UHD Friendly BR drives an interim situation until MakeMKV and UHD drives become aligned? i.e. If I don't *need* a UHD drive just yet (my projector is only 1080p and I rent BR discs only... no UHD titles avail to rent yet) will waiting be ok and just get a UHD drive later?

2. In the event that UHD Friendly is essential and UHD drives will never work with MakeMKV… is this drive acceptable? :
or

The LG is local and therefore cheaper sans shipping.... not sure which is better though :).

Cheers!
If back up copies of UHD 4K Blu Rays are needed then those drives can be used yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Microburn

Post by Microburn »

Thank you jongotti for the Asus drive it works perfect for my uhd collection I ordered it from you and got it in two days In the USA your a fantastic person to deal with again thank you very much!!

Max :D
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

mgrobins wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:33 am
Hey folks,

writing from Australia and interested in some quick answers to a few things having trolled as much of this thread as I can....

or

Cheers!
1. Proceed as if UHD Friendly drives will be your one and only option.... ever. No one can guarantee that AACS 2.0 or any of its additional variations/versions will ever be fully universally cracked. Which is what would be needed to achive what you ask.

2. As johnghotti stated. But in addition be careful with “PRO” versions of ANY of the drives dicussed here. Some or all “PRO” versions have been listed or reported INCORRECTLY as UHD Friendly and people have been unsuccessful in backing up UHD BDs with them altogether.
Gaspen

Post by Gaspen »

jonghotti wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:30 am
It's the end of an era, Fry's Electronics has put all LG Optical drives on clearance, meaning soon they'll no longer be carrying them!
Something about poor sales ever since they restocked the shelves with all year 2018 built models :-)
Anyone looking for a WH16NS60 official UHD drive I can get them at Frys for 40 under the lowest price you’ll find online and flash them to ASUS 3.02 UHD friendly for ya.

Get your order in soon they won’t ship these.
Mr. Ghotti, just to clarify, these new LG drives are "Official" UHD drives that you are downgrading to "Friendly"?
Can they be upgraded back to official if the need arises?
I'm guessing the official software will no longer work after the downgrade, that it won't be recognized as official in any way usable?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Gaspen wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:17 pm
Mr. Ghotti, just to clarify, these new LG drives are "Official" UHD drives that you are downgrading to "Friendly"?
I'm guessing the official software will no longer work after the downgrade, that it won't be recognized as official in any way usable?
If I may? The 'friendly' drives are hardware capable of reading UHD discs. Early firmware included a 'loophole' which allowed MOST UHD discs (non-AACS 2.1, to date) to be copied. Once vendors became aware, most (all?) released firmware updates to close the 'loophole'. Reverting to an earlier firmware just restores said 'loophole'.
Last edited by d00zah on Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaspen

Post by Gaspen »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Gaspen wrote:
If I may? The 'friendly' drives are hardware capable of reading UHD discs. Early firmware included a 'loophole' which allowed MOST UHD discs (non-AACS 2.1) to be copied. Once vendors became aware, most (all?) released firmware updates to close the 'loophole'. Reverting to an earlier firmware just restores said 'loophole'.
Unless I'm misusing the terminology, the new drive Alex has is an official AACS 2 drive, while the older models are not? I'm guessing (?) that the older models cannot actually play AACS 2 movies because they don't report being AACS 2 to the software? Or is that what the loophole is actually allowing?
I understand that they are hardware capable of reading (ripping) the discs, but I thought every link in the playback chain had to be AACS 2 compliant in order to actually play a movie directly from the drive to your screen/TV.
If this is the case then I think this drive would be more future proof than the earlier models?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Gaspen wrote:
Early firmware included a 'loophole' which allowed MOST UHD discs (non-AACS 2.1) to be copied.
Small, note on that comment. Same loophole DOES allow the decryption of 2.1 as it uses the same key set as 2.0. Mike himself has mentioned this as well in a post in this forum and it has been proven correct. The only two AACS 2.1 discs that currently exist have already been ripped/backed up using other software. Support is at the software level. Meaning, just because MakeMKV does not yet support it does not mean the same loophole can’t allow decryption of 2.1.
mgrobins

Post by mgrobins »

Decided to check my current drive at home - it's an HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH12LS30

Uncertain if this is capable of reading UHD let alone copying. Haven't got a disk at hand to test it. It works fine with all recent BR media I have placed in it though.

Any thoughts?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

mgrobins wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:35 am
Decided to check my current drive at home - it's an HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH12LS30

Uncertain if this is capable of reading UHD let alone copying. Haven't got a disk at hand to test it. It works fine with all recent BR media I have placed in it though.

Any thoughts?
'Friendly/official' list is in the 1st post of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832#p58519

Drive doesn't look to be either. Google says CD/DVD/BD only.

Why do people always jump straight to the end???? :)
mgrobins

Post by mgrobins »

If you didn't jump straight to the end you would see my previous post stating I have read most of this thread!

I asked because mine is an older drive and therefore may not have been tested.... and those who are doing the testing may know with some confidence which are *likely* to work or not.

At any rate, I can get an LG BH16NS55 but I have a question about the firmware. I do not have a PC that can set drive connection to IDE. It's AHCI only.
Does the drive need to be re-flashed or is that discussion mainly around the asus ones and such?

Anything I'd look for externally on the drive label that would tell me?