UHD standard mainstream?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
smartieyoung

UHD standard mainstream?

Post by smartieyoung »

Just thought I would toss a question out at the risk of being warned for an improper post,

Im just wondering out of my own curious thoughts when will UHD become the new standard that most people will use?

I have heard that UHD is slowly beginning to be adapted but Im not sure at what point it becomes easy enough for people to really afford moving up?

I myself have yet to buy a 4k tv or 4k bluray player because i have bought a 4k monitor for my desktop computer and I have a
UHD Drive which cost quite a few dollars.

It just seems like the market moves faster then a majority of the popluation. Am I wrong to be assuming that we may be pushing prouduction faster then the market can adjust?

any followup comments would be helpful :mrgreen:
st4evr

Re: UHD standard mainstream?

Post by st4evr »

Questions that are always asked when a new format is in its infancy. Usually asked by people who are not usually around or not 100% interested in industry format changes/introductions, or haven’t usually been early adopters. Not trying to be insulting. Just that some people have been “techies”/“nerds” longer than others and/or around for these changes longer than others.

I for one have been a “nerd” long enough and an early adopter of tech to see the VHS/beta format battle, DVDs back in the 90s. Blu-ray/HD-DVD in mid/late 2000s. UHD BD now. It’s the same cycle about every 10-12 years.

And in that experience takes just about as long for it to become “mainstream”. Due to various reasons. Back in 2008-2009 shortly after BD won that format battle we were then with BDs where we are now with UHD BDs. That format’s infancy. Look at where BD is at now. And ten years prior to that similar story with DVDs. Remember this in another ten years.

As a side note, yes this post is more suitable here:

viewforum.php?f=1

Or even here:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202

Dozens of conversations/additional opinions in that second link regarding this topic.
Last edited by st4evr on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

And don't forget the camp who contend that all physical (optical) media is headed 'the way of the dodo', in favor of streamed media. People have many opinions... :)
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 pm
And don't forget the camp who contend that all physical (optical) media is headed 'the way of the dodo', in favor of streamed media. People have many opinions... :)
Very true! A topic I have mixed feelings about. Tech does evolve/change, so who knows where we will be in the next decade for absolutely sure. As always, only time will tell.
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 pm
And sadly the powers that make these kinds of decisions don't live somewhere like I do where streaming over the internet is impossible. (And I don't live in a 3rd world country, I live 70 miles from Washington, DC...)
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Well, if it's any consolation, I've been hearing this since BDs were expected to supplant DVDs. It MAY eventually happen, but I suspect it's a ways off. So many techno-religious wars... 8-track vs cassette, 8080 vs z80, Beta vs VHS, PC vs Mac, big vs little-endian... I've just been impressed by the intensity of some convictions. More so, in the last decade, or so.
gonca

Post by gonca »

st4evr wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 pm
Questions that are always asked when a new format is in its infancy. Usually asked by people who are not usually around or not 100% interested in industry format changes/introductions, or haven’t usually been early adopters. Not trying to be insulting. Just that some people have been “techies”/“nerds” longer than others and/or around for these changes longer than others.

I for one have been a “nerd” long enough and an early adopter of tech to see the VHS/beta format battle, DVDs back in the 90s. Blu-ray/HD-DVD in mid/late 2000s. UHD BD now. It’s the same cycle about every 10-12 years.

And in that experience takes just about as long for it to become “mainstream”. Due to various reasons. Back in 2008-2009 shortly after BD won that format battle we were then with BDs where we are now with UHD BDs. That format’s infancy. Look at where BD is at now. And ten years prior to that similar story with DVDs. Remember this in another ten years.

As a side note, yes this post is more suitable here:

viewforum.php?f=1

Or even here:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202

Dozens of conversations/additional opinions in that second link regarding this topic.
And there are those that "master a workflow" on a certain format and don't want to hear about new formats, have to learn new ways to do things.
That is why some are still holding on to XP 32 bit
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I appeciate the responses ,I would say im prob a novice in knowing much about the nitty gritty on each format.i do agree that there are different times where different formats are more liked then others.I try not to get into the whole well my standard is the best and should be de facto.as they say different strokes for different folks. :lol: